PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried the new Skil X-Bench?

Gary Warren
04-22-2008, 11:20 AM
I am curious if anyone out there has bought or tried this portable bench by Skil? The video looks pretty cool if you want something portable and still have a few added features. I am just not sure how stable and durable this bench would be over the long haul?

MATT HASSMER
04-23-2008, 9:08 AM
does anyone have woodworking plans for a table insert that you could attach to a jigsaw sow that you could use it sort of like a scroll saw?

Randal Stevenson
04-23-2008, 9:37 AM
does anyone have woodworking plans for a table insert that you could attach to a jigsaw sow that you could use it sort of like a scroll saw?

Hirsch used to make a table that either a circular saw, or a jigsaw could mount upside down to, to make them into the other tool. If they were anything like my original miter saw, it was a 7 1/4" saw, in a Hirsch base, that used something like screen door clips, to screw the saw's plate to the base.
That said, if you made a "router plate" to fit in your table, you could then use those to mount one upside down to it. But it won't be as durable (blade only supported on one side) as a scroll saw, it may get you by. (IE, like a few friends, try to make a tool, to see if they would get enough use to buy it, verses another tool)

Eric Gustafson
04-23-2008, 9:42 AM
Hirsch used to make a table that either a circular saw, or a jigsaw could mount upside down to, to make them into the other tool. If they were anything like my original miter saw, it was a 7 1/4" saw, in a Hirsch base, that used something like screen door clips, to screw the saw's plate to the base.
That said, if you made a "router plate" to fit in your table, you could then use those to mount one upside down to it. But it won't be as durable (blade only supported on one side) as a scroll saw, it may get you by. (IE, like a few friends, try to make a tool, to see if they would get enough use to buy it, verses another tool)

That was my fiirst "table saw", circa 1980. I used it once and sold it immediately. It was a totally useless.

James Stokes
04-23-2008, 10:17 AM
I have a couple of the skill x stands. I really like them. They are very sturdy.