PDA

View Full Version : Which Craftsman Saw is this?

Keith Oliver
03-31-2004, 10:25 AM
I recently inherited a Craftsman 10" Contractor's saw that had blonged to my father, now deceased. I bought it around 1972 or 1973. I cannot find a model number indicated anywhere on it. I know little about its use or any saw details but would like to get this thing fixed up a bit and start making sawdust! One thing I think I'll probably eventually replace is the fence. But I'd like to know the model number to order that or other parts I may need.

Here are a few photos I took this AM:

Lee Schierer
03-31-2004, 11:31 AM
It looks very similar to the one that my Dad had. I will email my mother and see if she can dig up the model number.

Charles Wade
03-31-2004, 4:57 PM
Keith, you might also check the Old Woodworking Machinery; they have several Craftsman table saws listed. they list by manufacturer, so search for Craftsman or Sears. Good luck.

http://www.owwm.com/About/Default.asp

Keith Oliver
03-31-2004, 5:41 PM
Keith, you might also check the Old Woodworking Machinery; they have several Craftsman table saws listed. they list by manufacturer, so search for Craftsman or Sears. Good luck.

http://www.owwm.com/About/Default.asp

Thanks, Charles. I checked the site but it appears all they have is info on saws even older than mine - mostly from the 40's, 50's and 60's. Mine was bought about 1972 as far as I can determine.

You can see photos of the saw in the other thread I opened: "Which Craftsman Saw is This?".

Keith

Keith Oliver
03-31-2004, 5:43 PM

You can see photos of the saw in the other thread I opened: "Which Craftsman Saw is This?".

Keith
Sorry Charles, I'm going back and forth here and am getting my threads mixed up!

Lee Schierer
04-01-2004, 8:23 AM
I believe your model number might be 113.29943. As I said before your saw looks just like the one that belonged to my father.

Keith Oliver
04-01-2004, 8:19 PM
I believe your model number might be 113.29943. As I said before your saw looks just like the one that belonged to my father.
Lee
I had a look at the diagram for the saw you mentioned but there are a few differences - shape of front of the cabinet, no clamp screw/handle on the front above the blade height crank - that are on mine and not that one. However I began at that number (113.29943) and ran each number between that and 113.29999 through the Sears parts site. The one I found that looks most like mine is 113.29960. This one even looks like it has a fence with no rear rail (thought it was missing from mine). I'm wondering if a newer style fence would fit it???

Thanks for your help. At least it gave me a starting point of where to look. All the other numbers I had been given had 6 numbers after the 113.

Keith

Keith Oliver
04-03-2004, 8:47 AM
Do all these saws, Craftsman and other makes, have standard holes in their cast iron tops? I'm wondering whether a fence for one saw will fit any other with the same dimensions for the table - do all the holes line up? If I was able to find a used, good quality, fence from say a Delta or General saw, would I be able to adapt it for my saw? Or could I order a fence system like the Align-a-Rip designed for one of the newer Craftsman saws and be confident it would fit on this one?

My table seems fine as does the internal cast iron parts. It only has a 1 HP motor (which may be fine for my use, I don't know). If I decide I want more capability/accuracy, can I reasonably expect to be able to gradually turn this into a quality saw with new fence system and 1 1/2 HP or 2 HP motor or would I be better off to leave it like it is and begin saving for a totally new unit?

Keith

Bob Reilly
04-03-2004, 11:30 AM
[

Keith,the Align-a-Rip fence will fit your saw with no additional drilling required,i might add it's a very accurate fence,you'll think you have a new saw,and a 1 1/2 horse motor can be added with no problem,but i would suggest a link belt along with machined pulleys.

Keith Oliver
04-03-2004, 8:07 PM
[

Keith,the Align-a-Rip fence will fit your saw with no additional drilling required,i might add it's a very accurate fence,you'll think you have a new saw,and a 1 1/2 horse motor can be added with no problem,but i would suggest a link belt along with machined pulleys.

Thanks for your reply, Bob. I think I'll just adjust the saw for now and try using it with the fence it has. If I have to spend money, I'd rather put it into something that already has a half-decent fence, motor, etc. However, now that I know the Align-a-Rip and apparently most other makes of fences will fit, I'll keep my eye out for a deal on a used one.

Keith