PDA

View Full Version : 1-3/4 HP vs 3HP TS

tom holton
04-22-2008, 7:58 AM
I have a great opportunity to get a Steel City Table Saw. Without getting into all the details, for $100 difference, would you all recommend stretching my budget the $100 and getting a 3HP version over the 1-3/4 HP version? I'll have to run the electric in the garage, but thats not a big deal. Will I really feel/see/need the extra HP?

By the way, I am a Newbie here. Been lurking for several months. Great Forum!

Tom

alex grams
04-22-2008, 8:08 AM
Welcome aboard to the land of posting.

For that small of a price difference, I would jump at the extra power.

1.75 will do in most situations, but when you get to some heftier things, you will be thankful you got it.

Plus, if you don't get it now, you will only regret it later.

Randal Stevenson
04-22-2008, 9:27 AM
If you stick with this, you will regret not doing that. (getting the larger for that little difference)

If you don't stick with this, you will have a better resale value with the more HP (to a point, most homeshops don't need/use 5 hp).

Bob Hallowell
04-22-2008, 9:43 AM
I have a 3hp deluxe steel city and I love it. You may also get the better fence with the 3hp so that alone would be worth the extra $100

Bob

Thomas Williams
04-22-2008, 9:53 AM
If you have the 220 volts in the shop, I would go for the 3 hp. If you have to run the circuit the price difference will go up. I have the 1 3/4 Craftsman version, and have had no trouble cutting 8/4 maple and walnut. However, I am a hobbyist and do not mind using the slower feed rate.

Jim Becker
04-22-2008, 9:54 AM
Yea, you'll notice the difference, both in power and weight, especially when you plop a piece of 8/4 material on the machine and rip it down. For such a little difference in cost (as it appears from your post), it's not hard to make the 3hp decision.

Mike Henderson
04-22-2008, 10:18 AM
Welcome! I would definitely spend $100 to get the extra power. It'll make a difference in the ease of cutting throughout the life of the saw - as long as the belt arrangement will properly transfer the additional power to the blade and won't slip. If it's a single V-belt, I'd be concerned.

Mike

Louie George
04-22-2008, 10:32 AM
For $100 I would definately go for the larger motor, after all it is far better to have more hp and not need it, than to need it (more hp) and not have it.

scott spencer
04-22-2008, 10:40 AM
If you have the 220 volts in the shop, I would go for the 3 hp. If you have to run the circuit the price difference will go up. I have the 1 3/4 Craftsman version, and have had no trouble cutting 8/4 maple and walnut. However, I am a hobbyist and do not mind using the slower feed rate.

I'm in the same situation as Thomas and agree...if you've got 220v, get the extra power, if not, then you'll really need to evaluate the benefit relative to the overall cost. With good alignment and good blade selection, there's been nothing I haven't been able to cut through to full blade height with relative ease with my 1-3/4hp 22124. 3hp will do it with even less effort.

tom holton
04-22-2008, 10:54 AM
Well I guess that was an easy decision... It seems like the extra HP is well worth the $100.

I dont currently have the power, well I kinda do, but my Air compressor is plugged into it. I have the good ole brother in law who is an electrician. he owes me a favor so getting the additional outlet should be a matter of a 6 pack and a phone call...

Thanks for the advice.

Tom

Maurice Ungaro
04-22-2008, 12:31 PM
Tom,
Once you fire up that 3hp motor, and slice some wood with it, you'll grin from ear to ear.

That alone is worth $100.......in fact, I don't even know why you asked the question!

jason lambert
04-22-2008, 1:03 PM
3hp that is a no brainer, there is a difference.

Tom Veatch
04-22-2008, 1:28 PM
Well I guess that was an easy decision... It seems like the extra HP is well worth the $100.

Agree. Now if it were a 3HP vs 5HP decision, I'd say that you'd get better use of the money by spending it on a good blade(s). Especially since to use the extra horses, you'd need a heavier circuit (220v/30amp) than required for the 3HP (220v/20amp). That could increase the cost differential even more.

I dont currently have the power, well I kinda do, but my Air compressor is plugged into it.

Depending on the circuit and the power requirements of the compressor, you may have a conflict using both on the same circuit. Your 3HP saw will probably have a full load amperage draw in the vicinity of 15 amps at 220 volts. Don't know about the compressor. Your BIL can best advise you on what you can/should do there.

Rick Thom
04-22-2008, 7:27 PM

I dont currently have the power, well I kinda do, but my Air compressor is plugged into it. I have the good ole brother in law who is an electrician. he owes me a favor so getting the additional outlet should be a matter of a 6 pack and a phone call...

Thanks for the advice.

Tom
This is probably a good time to do some planning for the rest of your electrical requirements if you are setting up shop.
Most stationery woodworking equipment is 220V or at the least 110/220 capable as you may be aware.

Johnny Fischer
04-22-2008, 8:46 PM
Tom,
More HP is always better and as long as you continue woodworking you will either pay for it now or later. Dont know your budget but ToolKing has the Steel City model 35610 3HP / 50" fence for $1150 plus shipping. Whatever that will run you.
I have the SC 35626 5HP / 50" and couldnt be happier with it. Steel City makes a very nice table saw in my opinion.
Good luck and be safe.