PDA

View Full Version : should i return my delta TP305 planer and get something different?

Mike Gager
04-22-2008, 6:15 AM
i bought a delta planer a couple weeks ago and while i like it it does have leave snipe that i dont really like. after reading more about them this seems to be quite a common thing with these planers.

my question is should i return the 305 and get something different? i got it at lowes and the have a 90 day return policy. if i did return it i think i could either get my money back or get an exchange. they have the dewalt 734 there for $369 or i could go to HD and get the ridgid TP1300LS for $369 (minus their current discount would make it $309 i believe) or the ryobi AP1301LS for $199 ($169)

i have a lot of ridgid tools currently (TS, BS, jointer) so im leaning towards that unless someone talks me into one of the others, or keeping the delta

Thomas Williams
04-22-2008, 6:27 AM
As I understand it, snipe is very common with all of the lunch box type planers. Have you adjusted the in-feed and out-feed tables so the ends are slightly above the bed? Doing this to my Delta helped get quite a bit.
On the other hand, if I were in the market for a new planer, I would be flipping a coin between the Dewalt and the new Ridgid.

scott spencer
04-22-2008, 6:35 AM
The TP305 does not have a cutterhead lock AFAIK, and will be far more prone to snipe than a unit that does. My 22-580 snipes very rarely, as did my 22-560. I hear typically good reports about the DeWalts, Makita, and Ridgid too....find a sale.

Mike Gager
04-22-2008, 7:03 AM
i was just looking at HDs site and they have the dewalt 735 for 549. lowes has it 499 so if i go to HD they will match that price plus take 10% off which would put it 449 and then with their sale right now i would get another 100 off that price so it would be 349. that seems like a pretty good deal

Curt Harms
04-22-2008, 9:34 AM
I don't have one and haven't used one. There is quite a lot of talk about short knife life with the 735,of course others that have the 735 say no problem. I did have a Delta 22-580 which was a great machine-no snipe and good knife life.

HTH

Curt

Jason Beam
04-22-2008, 10:30 AM
Mike,

I think that if you can get the DW734, you would be immensely happy with it. I would have buyer's remourse if I spent the coin on a 735 to only find out that I had to get feed tables (they're not included).

Then again ... people love their 735 .... almost as much as I love my 734, I bet! :D

Michael Boyle
04-22-2008, 12:27 PM
Mike,

As an owner of a 735, I do not believe you can wrong with it for the price you feel you can get it. I have not experienced the blade life issues others on the board have, but that does not mean that that there is an issue. I have run a lot of boards through my machine and have had not issues with it. Having said that, I believe 734 would be a good choice as well judging from the posts I have read. I have read some positive reviews on the Ridgid planer, but I have also heard of Home Depot not always having the blades in stock when they were needed. The nice thing with the DeWalts is that they are sold and supported in a large number of outlets so supplies and help will be a little more readily available.

Mike Gager
04-22-2008, 3:07 PM
well i went to HD to look at the planers and they dont have the ridgid 1300 anymore it got replaced by the 4330 which from what ive read is not as good. they did have the 735 dewalt and i asked if they would take a 10% coupon on top of the power tool discount and they said that they could not do that so now im not sure what to do. the dewalt sure is expensive

the 734 is now listed at 399 on lowes website which is strange since it was 369 when i first posted :confused:

i need to go in and see what price they have it in store i guess

Chris Padilla
04-22-2008, 4:10 PM
Snipe is something you'l need to learn to live with but you can minimize it to a certain degree:

(1) Build a planer sled that is longish and flat. You slip it into your planer and it becomes the new 'bed' of the planer. You will reduce the max height of stock your planer can handle by the thickness of the planer sled.

(2) Buy stock longer than you need and plan to cut the snipe off.

(3) Use a board in front of and maybe behind your stock you want and the snipe will occur in it and not your stock.

(4) Try putting your stock in at an angle instead of straight-on. This is also useful for figure woods as it helps to give more of a shear cut and it uses more of the blade.

Finally, a planer with a cutterhead lock will help as well...as that appears the route you are taking. I always found it a pain to keep locking/unlocking the cutterhead as you change depth settings. I could never remember to either lock/unlock it as I moved the dial. I believe you are supposed to unlock the cutterhead to change depth settings (I think the Delta 22-580 is like that).

Rick Thom
04-22-2008, 4:46 PM
Mike, what you bought is their bottom line entry level machine and they are well known for snipe because of their design. I had one and one just has to accept this and plan accordingly. It planed a lot of hardwood without complaint but lacked the refinements like snipe-free operation. You will also get a better job with a 3 knife cutter head and 2 speed feed rate. I don't believe exchanging for another of the same model will help you. If you've got the coin and want a better result, any of those planers mentioned would do.
I have the DW 735 now and absolutely no complaints. This model has earned it's stripes by giving great performance, but you will have to pay for that.

glenn bradley
04-22-2008, 6:09 PM
I have a 734 and my experiance for a few years has been that with the tables adjusted correctly I very rarely have snipe. It happens so seldom that it really gives me pause to see what I must've done if I do get any.

When planing long stock or using the sled I do lift up on the outfeed end just a bit as the pass ends. I find this easier than taking the time to level my roller stands on my slanted floor. This is a problem particular to my situation. To reach my DC hose the planer stand is at an angle and the floor slopes rear to front (garage).

I can level the stand (by design) and IF I take the time to level the roller stands as well, I can feed the stock 'hands free' without snipe.

Cliff Furman
07-27-2009, 9:51 PM
I wish you were in SW Florida. I just replaced my PM lunchbox with an old stationary planer.
The PM planes nice. It has cutterhead locks. I built a 46" sled for it, and don't get any snipe.
The only reason I'm replacing it is I got the old Beast at a good price, and I needed another 500#'s in the shop to roll around!
If you found a PM lunchbox, I give it thumbs up.
Good luck with whatever you buy.

Jack Ellis
07-27-2009, 11:54 PM
I have a Ryobi AP1300 and it leaves a little snipe unless I'm careful. I do probably have to adjust the tables a bit more.

I've managed to minimize snipe by putting downward pressure on the trailing end of the board as it starts to feed, and then doing the same to the leading edge as the board exits. The idea is to prevent the rollers from tipping the board as it enters and exits the cutters.

Chuck Isaacson
07-28-2009, 12:20 AM
I would say that if you are planning for the long haul with the benchtop planer, go for the 735. I bought mine, it was my first, but I thought why buy something now only to replace it in a few years. One thing not to forget is that they make the Shelix head for it now so you could always upgrade to it in the future. I did have to buy the tables separate but it was worth it. I get virtually no snipe at all!!! I have had mine for about 2 months and have been using it for about 1. Min leaves little streaks where there might be a nic in the blade but that is probably because it chewed up a know in the wood real good. But it sands out with no problem. I love mine and wouldn't trade it for the world. Go for it, you'll be happy.

Chuck

Rod Sheridan
07-28-2009, 8:14 AM
Hi Mike, do you need portability in your planer?

If not look around for one of those used ubiquitous 4 post cast iron planers.

They have 2 feed speeds which is nice for hogging off material on the high feed speed, or use the lower speed for improved surface finish.

They have cutter head locks which help reduce snipe, however they're not snipe free. I have a combination machine now, and it's the only planer I've used that is snipe free.

Those planers will plane faster, are far quieter, and will last you your lifetime. I would expect that you could find a used one for about the price of the portable planer.

Of course if you need portability, ignore the above.

Regards, Rod.

Jason Beam
07-28-2009, 11:45 AM
Holy Year-Old Thread, Batman!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Heather Thompson
07-28-2009, 12:01 PM
Holy Year-Old Thread, Batman!!! :eek::eek::eek:

TOO FUNNY!!!!!!!!!

Heather :D

Rod Sheridan
07-28-2009, 12:20 PM
TOO FUNNY!!!!!!!!!

Heather :D

Now Heather, there's no point rushing in with an answer, some woodworking questions require careful deliberation.:D

(Or I was just too daft to realize it was an old thread)!

Regards, Rod.