PDA

View Full Version : Routing bowls in to wood

Glenn Pearston
04-22-2008, 5:45 AM
I am wanting to make a Mancala board for a friend and am looking for ideas on how to make the bowls (cups) in the wood. I have attached a picture of a retail Mancala board to show what I am talking about.

I could make a jig that holds the router on an elliptical path to create the curved bottom pockets using a bowl bit but I am wondering if anyone has any other ideas.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

Glenn

James Kuhn
04-22-2008, 7:28 AM
I would probably try buying a cheap drill press rosette cutter with the intention of grinding my own knife:

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3656

John Lucas
04-22-2008, 8:11 AM
I could make a jig that holds the router on an elliptical path to create the curved bottom pockets using a bowl bit but I am wondering if anyone has any other ideas.

That's how I would do it. I don't know about the elliptical jig you are considering. I think I would just use 1/2 mdf and make a same size hole and use a collar on the router and the bowl bit. Of coarse, you would have to make larger holes in template to allow for collar size. Once you find that out, I would use forstener bits and make two holes and combine then with jigsaw and files.

Gary McKown
04-22-2008, 8:13 AM
A year or so ago, Mark Marzluf created a gimballed router mount that dug circular bowl-shaped depressions, so a jig certainly is possible. I don't know whether threads showing Mark's gadget still are archived, and the last I heard he has left woodworking completely.

As a simpler idea, I think I would try using one of those cove-molding router bits of the correct size - in the drill press running at top speed (sort of like a rosette cutter). If someone makes those in a 3-wing or 4-wing version, that would work better.

Keith Beck
04-22-2008, 9:02 AM
I made one out of Bloodwood a while back. I first made a template using a hole saw in the drill press, then I attached the template to my board and routed out the recesses with a bowl and tray bit w/a bearing. Pretty easy, but the Bloodwood probably wasn't the best choice. That's some tough stuff!

Keith

Jamie Buxton
04-22-2008, 9:57 AM
If you have a plunge router, a horizontal crown molding bit would do the trick.

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/bit_molding2.html#crown_molding_anchor

I've even used one to plunge shallow depressions.

Glenn Pearston
04-23-2008, 12:24 AM
Thanks everyone - this helps.

Glenn