PDA

View Full Version : Help Request: Water Stains on Unfinished Project

David Peters
04-22-2008, 2:59 AM
As a companion piece to my first project (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=82038), I'm building a tall cabinet to house a stereo system. After dozens and dozens of hours into the project, and right after initial glue-up, you can imagine my disappointment to find that a leaky roof in my shop had damaged the piece!

Although I was able to sand the water damage off of the Cherry legs, I'm very wary of sanding the Maple veneer, as it is only 1/42" thick.

Based on the puddle I found, I suspect the water was dirty, adding to the challenge.

Are there some things I should try in order to remove the water stains before I do some very careful sanding?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Your help could not only save this project, but my sanity as well :o

David Peters
04-22-2008, 3:07 AM
I should have mentioned that I have already reviewed this thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=82529), and am curious whether 'Creekers think that oxalic acid is the best thing to try first.

Howard Acheson
04-22-2008, 10:05 AM
The bleach that removes mineral stains like those from water is oxalic acid. Many paint stores will have it. Just follow the directions and be sure to let the piece fully dry before attempting to finish it.

Lee Schierer
04-22-2008, 12:44 PM
First thing I would do would be to wet it with distilled water and wipe it down with a clean cloth. Get it really wet, the entire surface and then wipe it off and let it dry.

Joe Chritz
04-22-2008, 1:14 PM
You are correct that sanding is not gonna get it here.

Try water first then try the oxalic acid like mentioned. You can use a small brush like a nylon tooth brush with the water to try and scrub anything off.

Be sure to check the veneer well to make sure it is attached well and not going to lift later on. I seriously doubt maple ply has water resistant glue.

Did it get wet enough to fully soak through to the substrate?

Good luck

Joe

David Peters
04-22-2008, 2:33 PM
Thanks for the advice. I was about to try the distilled water until the issue of glue bond came up. Although it doesn't state it specifically, I assume that this Better Bond Veneer Glue isn't waterproof.

http://www.veneersupplies.com/product_info.php?cPath=86_40&products_id=2314

Based on that, should I avoid soaking the veneer? I'm thinking of applying a misting of distilled water and attempting to scrub with a toothbrush, and if that doesn't work lightly dampen it with the oxalic acid solution.

David Peters
04-22-2008, 8:37 PM
I honestly wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it with my own two eyes, but applying the oxalic acid and some light scrubbing with a toothbrush and *all* of the stains literally disappeared!!!!! Vanished! Gone! POOF!!!

You have _no idea_ how delighted I am! THANK YOU HOWARD, LEE, JOE and everyone else at SMC!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-23-2008, 8:26 AM
I am just a little bit surprised at this.
I thought that oxalic was used for making wood "blond."

Learning that was worth $6.00

Howard Acheson
04-23-2008, 12:25 PM
>> am just a little bit surprised at this.
I thought that oxalic was used for making wood "blond."

There are three bleaches used in woodworking.

o Chlorine bleach (Clorox) -- used to remove the color of dye stains from wood.
o Oxalic Acid -- used to remove mineral stains from wood.
o A/B two part bleach -- used to remove the wood's natural color