PDA

View Full Version : DNA ... when does it lose its potency?

Terry Achey
04-21-2008, 10:33 PM
Here's a chemistry question I have for the resident panel of experts.

If the DNA absorbs or displaces the moisture (water) from the bowl, and the conatainer reminas closed virtually all the time, where does all the moisture go?

In other words, does the DNA become "water logged" after a period of time and hence require replacement? More importantly, how could you tell when it becomes too diluted and therefore not as effective?

Forgive me if my thinking is way off base. I have one DNA bowl's worth of experience (cherry:cool:) and even less knowledge about chemistry. Just seems to me that the water has to go somewhere and the DDNA solution seems to be the only place it could go ???

Appreciate your thoughts. Just about everthing I learned so far about turning has been from reading this site. You folks are simply a great resource!

PS - I also just roughed out two 8" oak bowls from a freshly downed tree. I just dropped them in the DNA bucket yesterday. Oak sure is "stringy" compared to the cherry. I'm curious as to how the oak will dry and finish. Any comments about oak also appreciated. I still have enough oak log to carve out two more bowls.

Richard Madison
04-21-2008, 11:15 PM
Terry,

Am no expert on drying, but can tell you that alcohol and water are "miscible". That means that if you mix them together and let the mixture sit long enough, you get a uniform solution of both, together. Common examples are beer (lotta water and a little ethanol), and 100 proof whiskey (about half and half, with some trace additives).

Somebody correct me if wrong, but I think DNA is perfectly good ethanol that has been ruined by the addition of some nasty additive so we can't drink it and live.

So if you soak your piece of wood in DNA for a couple days, the accessible unbound water in the wood becomes mostly DNA, and the DNA in your bucket becomes the same, which is DNA with a little water. Maybe can check the used DNA with a hydrometer, but can not tell you when to discard and start over.

Thus treated and exposed to the atmosphere, more or less, the DNA (with a little water) from your workpiece will evaporate much quicker than would the water that was originally there. Hence the claimed much faster drying time for a rough-turned piece.

Beyond this, you must rely on the experience of yourself and others re. the issues of less cracking and deformation, as I am no expert on drying.

Don Eddard
04-22-2008, 5:13 AM
A number of turners, including me, just keep adding new DNA as the level in the bucket goes down over time. I've not seen any change in its effectiveness, even after being used for quite a few bowls. It seems to evaporate faster than it becomes diluted.

Rick Gifford
04-22-2008, 7:10 AM
Somebody correct me if wrong, but I think DNA is perfectly good ethanol that has been ruined by the addition of some nasty additive so we can't drink it and live

No correction needed. It is good stuff that has been poisoned so we can't drink it. Might give bootlegging a new excuse... "Hey officer Im just a poor woodworker making my own stuff!" :D Aw well probably not.

Matt Hutchinson
04-22-2008, 7:39 AM
Here is an article from the guy who developed teh DNA method. It's on how to determine the strength of the DNA solution.

http://alcoholsoaking.blogspot.com/2006/11/determining-alcohol-percentage.html

Hutch

Bruce Pennell
04-22-2008, 9:04 AM
I did get questioned by the cashier at Wally World yesterday when I bought 6 quarts of DNA. She smiled when I told here I was a wood turner and was going to soak bowls in it. Probably thought I was some drug maker or something.....:eek:

Terry Achey
04-22-2008, 10:59 PM
Here is an article from the guy who developed teh DNA method. It's on how to determine the strength of the DNA solution.

http://alcoholsoaking.blogspot.com/2006/11/determining-alcohol-percentage.html

Hutch

Matt,

Excellent resource! I printed the article and will try to "do the math" after a few more soakings. Then, I'll compare to my fresh DNA. Thanks for the link!

Terry

Bernie Weishapl
04-23-2008, 9:26 AM
As the level goes down I added a gallon. Bruce you can buy it by the gallon at your lumber yard in the paint section. Cheaper than by the quart.