PDA

View Full Version : White Marble

Jer Raymond
04-21-2008, 9:56 PM
Long time lurker, I finally have something to give back...
I have not seen any topics on how to engrave on white marble.
Here is a discarded sample I found - it was discarded because I over stained the fine cracks in this white flaked marble.
I have a pinnacle zx-30 watt and photograv.
It is processed as spectralite gray granite (set at 100 brightness and 1 contrast to make it look white) and engraved at 300 dpi, 30 speed 100 power 400ppi dithering 4X4 dot...I used to use corel and it was fine too - the photograv saves time and seems to make a better image without wasted stock.
I then carefully apply black barbecue spray paint by spraying a gauze first then rubbing it on the image only in sparing amounts then cleaning with denatured alcohol.
I am currently experimenting with freezing the tile first - it seems to decrease the power needed but the image is about the same - the process is still being tweaked. No difference with armor all.
I particularly like this type of marble because of the reflective flakes - it makes the image almost 3D behind the flakes. I bought the tile at a local tile store.
This photo really does not do it justice but it captures the flakes:

http://www.ashestoashes.com/images/white%20marble.jpg

Anthony Scira
04-22-2008, 11:39 AM
Dugg for the use of black BBQ spray.

I bought a couple white marble 12x12 tiles for 50 cents on clearance a couple weeks ago. Looks like I have yet another thing to try.

Do you wait for the paint to dry a little before taking the DNA to it?

Jer Raymond
04-27-2008, 3:07 PM
Use the paint more as a stain...