PDA

View Full Version : Jet 1014I bowl chuck needed

Noah Lee
04-21-2008, 9:31 PM
I'm fairly new to turning. I would like to get into bowl turning. What chuck (type Brand size) will I need to accomplish this. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Also should I buy a specific type of tool to hollow out the bowl. I'm on a budget (wife) so the cheaper the better id possible.
Thank you everyone. The lathe I use is JET 1040I

Noah

Jon McCoy
04-21-2008, 11:49 PM
Cheap and simple? Check out Penn State's Benjamin's Best line of tools.

$16 for a 3/8" or $19 for a 1/2" bowl gouge.
$19 for a 3/4" round-nose scraper.

$130 for a PSI chuck, but you can use glue blocks and a homemade donut chuck instead.

Splurge a little and spend $40 more on a bowl sander on a stick with some sandpaper discs.

Most important, find a mentor to help you learn the right way without having to experience the many wrong ways.

-jon-

Noah Lee
04-22-2008, 3:59 PM
Thank you Jon.

Barry Elder
04-22-2008, 4:09 PM
Most factory-handled gouges do not come from the factory ready-to-use. You must make sure they are sharp. Do you have any experience in this? As Jon suggested, try to find a mentor. (www.aaw.org) The AAW site lists all the turning clubs that are AAW sanctioned in the entire country. Find the club nearest you, phone the president, and find out if your neighbor down the block is a woodturner. You'll never regret having a woodturner for a mentor and friend!

Barry Elder
04-22-2008, 4:10 PM
Sorry about the site (www. woodturner.org)!

Noah Lee
04-22-2008, 9:38 PM
Thank you Barry. I will look into the website you suggested.