PDA

View Full Version : Cherry and Cocobolo Dining Table

Dave Avery
04-21-2008, 9:03 PM
All,

Finished my second project this year - certainly a recent record..... :)

The table is very loosely based on the Thos Moser 'Edo' series, but modified significantly to my liking. Top is figured cherry veneer over MDF banded with Q-sawn cherry with cocobolo inlay. Structural members are 12/4 figured cherry. More cherry veneer - over 1 1/2" of plywood substrate - and banded with more cocobolo make up the supports.

Finish is 4 coats of Waterlox which I liked very much. It has not yet cured long enough to be rubbed out for final waxing.

Now on to the chairs, where I suspect my Festool Domino will get a workout. Any ideas for a chair design?

Thanks for looking and best regards. Dave.

Roy Wall
04-21-2008, 9:34 PM
Dave -

That is FABULOUS!!! The grain patterns, cocobolo...great work.

I mean this is GOOD!!!

Tom Cowie
04-21-2008, 9:34 PM
extreme table Dave. Nice contrast and design . I'm sure all your hard work will be appreciated.

Tom

PS: my Domino got workout on some louvered doors this weekend.. Great tool !!!

gary Zimmel
04-21-2008, 10:07 PM
Dave

Excellent table...

To me the cocobolo sets it all off. Can't wait to see the chair design that you come up with. As a set it's going to look like a million bucks.

Bob Knodel
04-21-2008, 10:32 PM
Sleek and smooth design. Very clean. Great job. It looks to be more on the contemporary side of design so I would probably stick with that on the chair design. I guess it depends on your taste. What are you leaning toward?

Jim Tobias
04-21-2008, 10:46 PM
Beautiful table, Dave. I like your design and details. The figured cherry is perfect and cocobola inlay really sets it off. Verrrrrrrrrrrry nice!!!

Jim

Dave MacArthur
04-21-2008, 11:26 PM
Great work, very sleek. I love cherry, and contrast, so this is just great for me. I haven't seen a project before where thick plywood is used as a support--usually I see 8/4 base--and I really like the idea, especially as you still have some hefty solid cherry right there to satisfy that urge.

I'd think a really contemporary design for a chair would be appropriate, maybe a cantilever, or even re-emphasizing that truncated pyramid scheme-- maybe a tall wide one for the back and back legs, wide at bottom and narrow at top; seat could be the same, narrow part mortised into the back; two front legs same as the supports again, narrow at bottom and coming up so the wide part either joins the seat, or goes past it for arm rests.

Hmm, I really see that design, firing up sketchup now...

Dave MacArthur
04-22-2008, 1:03 AM
my 2nd sketchup attempt... painful but fun! Anyways, you could also flip the back piece upside down so it was wide at bottom, then cut out the center bottom so it had legs...

Jimmy Williams
04-22-2008, 6:15 AM
Great execution on the table. I like the bookmatched top and the eased ends. I haven't tried veneering as of yet but seeing this makes we want to give it a shot. I also like Dave's chair though I am not sure how comfortable it would be during a long meal. I think I would try setting the back at an angle so the person in the chair was reclined a bit more than sitting up straight. Great job on the table.

Greg Cole
04-22-2008, 8:51 AM
Hi Dave,
Very well done. I'd say you used that curly cherry "just right". Proportions are great and the cocobolo accent is very fitting with the design.
You must have one HUGE vacuum set up.....
2 years for a dresser and only a couple months on the table? ;)
I just took delivery on a domino yesterday and after a few minutes of "play" time, I can see it getting an awful lot of use & soon.

Cheers.
Greg

Jim Becker
04-22-2008, 9:11 AM
Wonderful, Dave!!!!

Dave Avery
04-22-2008, 1:19 PM
Great work, very sleek. I love cherry, and contrast, so this is just great for me. I haven't seen a project before where thick plywood is used as a support--usually I see 8/4 base--and I really like the idea, especially as you still have some hefty solid cherry right there to satisfy that urge.

I'd think a really contemporary design for a chair would be appropriate, maybe a cantilever, or even re-emphasizing that truncated pyramid scheme-- maybe a tall wide one for the back and back legs, wide at bottom and narrow at top; seat could be the same, narrow part mortised into the back; two front legs same as the supports again, narrow at bottom and coming up so the wide part either joins the seat, or goes past it for arm rests.

Hmm, I really see that design, firing up sketchup now...

Dave,

I like your design - a lot! Now if I hadn't just bought 115bf of 7/4 cherry that I was planning to use for a more traditional style........

I'll let you know which way I decide to go.......

Dave Avery
04-22-2008, 1:23 PM
Hi Dave,
Very well done. I'd say you used that curly cherry "just right". Proportions are great and the cocobolo accent is very fitting with the design.
You must have one HUGE vacuum set up.....
2 years for a dresser and only a couple months on the table? ;)
I just took delivery on a domino yesterday and after a few minutes of "play" time, I can see it getting an awful lot of use & soon.

Cheers.
Greg

Greg,

Thanks for the kind words...... I actually have the basic Vacupress Compact 100 set-up with a 4'X4' bag. The top is made from 2 large pieces joined at the center. It's reinforeced underneath and that, along with the solid edge-banding makes, the top solid enough. Best. Dave.

Dave Avery
04-22-2008, 1:26 PM
Sleek and smooth design. Very clean. Great job. It looks to be more on the contemporary side of design so I would probably stick with that on the chair design. I guess it depends on your taste. What are you leaning toward?

Bob,

Until I saw Dave's design, I was thinking something along the lines of Thos Moser's tall square chair, but with a triangular back panel of cherry wrapped in cocobolo. Now I'm not sure........

Walt Caza
04-22-2008, 3:47 PM
Great work Dave,
I surely don't need to tell you that your table is gorgeous!
The cocobolo really sets it all off for me.
Keep up the beautiful work...
Walt
:)

Tim Plantz
04-23-2008, 4:06 PM
Beautiful work Dave!! I can see using this combination of species for some of my projects down the road.

Thanks. Tim

John Thompson
04-25-2008, 9:03 PM
Excellent design and great choice of wood. I love cocobolo.. I just can't afford to purchase it for my own use.

Well done...

Sarge..

Michael Putzel
06-03-2011, 11:58 PM
Dave,
If you're still watching this thread, I love your table. It looks like an interesting modification of the Moser Edo table but with your own concept of the uprights and, of course, an expertly done contrast between the woods. Did you work up your own drawings or start from a Moser sketch? I'd love to make something similiar.
Thanks.
Michael

PS What did you decide about the chairs?

Hans Braul
06-04-2011, 7:25 AM
I love this table! Fabulous cherry, great design, beautifully executed. As for the chairs, I did a set last summer using Domino. But I didn't use standard tenons. I made wider ones and created wider mortices by cutting at two points, to get more strength.

Cheers
Hans

Dave Avery
06-08-2011, 9:46 PM
Wow guys - didn't realize that this thread has resurrected itself. It's really been 3 years, huh? I work and play golf much more than I make furniture these days......

Michael, if I remember correctly, I posted some pic's of the chairs which have been extremely comfortable in entertaining use. Hans, thank you for your kind words - I both like and respect your work. All the best, Dave.

Found the link to the chairs, Michael......http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?100592-Dining-Room-Chairs

Mark Valsi
06-08-2011, 11:02 PM
superlatives do not suffice !!