PDA

View Full Version : Curly Soft Maple Price check

Bob Coleman
04-21-2008, 8:46 PM
Hi All,

I'm looking for a sanity check on prices for curly soft maple. I got this quote calling around so I haven't seen the boards, but is $4.50/bf a reasonable price? I've seen curly maple more expensive, but I can't remember if it was soft or hard.

Thanks in advance,
Bob

Joe Chritz
04-21-2008, 9:02 PM
Depends on where you are but it would be a pretty good price in this area if it was decent curly at all.

The place I would go for that lists soft from light curly to heavy and hard in heavy curly.

Just FWIW light curly soft is $4.13 BF under 100 BF. Heavy is $7.96. Hard maple heavy is over $11.

Joe

Tony Cox
04-21-2008, 9:22 PM
Current price list at Frank Miller Lumber list 4/4 soft maple curly plainsawn select & better at $5.50

Craig D Peltier
04-21-2008, 9:26 PM
I paid 9 in seattle for western.Had alot of curl to it.

Bob Coleman
04-23-2008, 5:24 PM
Thanks for the quick replies everyone. I went out and had a look yesterday morning (don't tell the boss!)

I ended up filling my car up with about 50bf for 3.75/bf.

Richard M. Wolfe
04-23-2008, 6:49 PM
Nice looking stuff for 3.75 a foot. We don't get any such animal here in north central Texas except at a specialty place like Woodcraft. I've never bought any there but I'm willing to bet it's more like twice what you paid. If I have time what I do when I'm at the local lumberyard is go through their selection of birch/maple that they get for cabinetmakers. Around here birch and maple are mixed in the lumberyard and sold to cabinetmakers for face frames as they can pretty much stain to match. A number of times I've gotten a nicely curly board that they had kicked to the side. They couldn't use it for their purposes and I got it for the price of plain flatsawn birch/maple.

John Timberlake
04-23-2008, 8:17 PM
That is about half the price I would expect to pay for that much curl. By the way, most curly maple is soft.