PDA

View Full Version : Chisel Handle Question

Greg Drozdowski
04-21-2008, 8:46 PM
Hi,
I was lucky enough to come into a bunch of mahogany and was wondering if it would hold up as a chisel handle.
If not, i guess i have a few years supply for mahogany totes and knobs.

Thanks, Greg

http://www.drozsoldetymestanleytotesandknobs.com

Mike Henderson
04-21-2008, 9:15 PM
I've made chisel handles from mahogany. I don't beat on the chsiels that much but they've held up fine so far. Since I can always make new ones if these don't hold up, I'm not concerned. One thing I don't like is that the mahogany is light - the chisel just doesn't feel like I think it should when I'm using it. I made some handles from cherry and they are also light.

Probably not the best choice but it works. Pecan seem to be the best wood for me so far for chisels. Strong, reasonably priced, feels good, and seems to hold up.

Mike

[Here's a picture of some of my chisels. From left to right: Bocote, Cherry, Mahogany, Bloodwood, Ebony, Oak, Mahogany, Maple, Zebra wood, Wenge, and Walnut. Sorry, I forgot to put a pecan in the picture.]

gary Zimmel
04-21-2008, 10:34 PM
Excellent looking chisels Mike

Greg Drozdowski
04-21-2008, 10:57 PM
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info and a great looking set of handles.

greg

Roger Bell
04-22-2008, 7:56 PM
If you intend to smack the chisel a lot with a mallet, you might consider turning a tenon on the end and stacking couple of leather washers to the end (glued).

The leather can be turned down from rough when in place and can take the same finish as the wood.

This was commonly done on factory chisels in the day.