PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a large format scanner? I mean LARGE

Luke Phillips
04-21-2008, 8:44 PM
I've got a job pending that requires a scan of a large print (36x24) anyone on the forum got one of these?

Mike Null
04-21-2008, 8:49 PM
Get out your digital camera and do a really careful set up and focusing.

Jack Harper
04-21-2008, 10:32 PM
Luke,

The largest I can go is 12.2" x 17.2". Have you considered scanning in peices and stitching the image back together? If you do this, make sure you turn off any image enhancement features in your scanning software. This will allow matching pieces to be scanned to be stitched together.

Nathan Camp
04-21-2008, 11:25 PM
Is this a flat piece, or a drawing type. Most engineering companies have scanners that will read this size in in color or b/w. (If it is a roll of paper). I know ours will do this size and larger in b/w. (The scanner does color, but we did not pay for the license to use color:o).

Don't know if that helps.

Craig Hogarth
04-21-2008, 11:37 PM
I had an 18x24 drawing that I had to scan. Officemax couldn't scan it, but they could photo copy it in b/w. I ended up getting 2 copies cutting them into 8x9 sheets that overlapped then scanned and pieced them back together.

Darren Null
04-22-2008, 12:46 AM
In the absence of suitable kit, I'd stick the image to a blank wall and photograph it (using max telephoto and taken as close as possible to level with the centre of the photo to minimise lens curve).

If you have a smaller, scanner, you can do it in chunks and stitch the bits together with this:
http://cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html
...you'll probably need to get the chunks exactly level in a bitmap editor before stitching, for best results.

Luke Phillips
04-22-2008, 5:16 AM
Thanks to all for the advice - the print must be laid flat on the platen to avoid edge distortion. I would try the digital photo approach if I had a decent camera - I'll look into getting it professionally photographed. I have a contact that wants to trade services with me.

Ed Kilburn
04-22-2008, 8:45 AM
Luke
Try Print o stat,
14301 Sullyfield Circle
Suite D
Chantilly, VA 20151
phone: 703-378-3174

Jack Harper
04-22-2008, 9:55 AM
Kinkos has scanners that will scan this size. The trick is to use the self service scanner and then go into the menus and change the scan resolution to as highest possible, also preferably tiff over jpeg. They don't want people doing this but never say no when I do. Bring a large USB key to retrieve the file. It will cost under $10.

David Fairfield
04-22-2008, 3:08 PM
I use Kinkos but I leave the materials there for them to do it, don't have massive self serve scanners at my local one.

Doug Bergstrom
04-23-2008, 9:58 AM
We no longer use the wide format digital scanner for anything but line work. A digital camera will reproduce colors better and have a better more dense black.

John Barton
04-26-2008, 5:27 AM
When we do something like this we put on a board and stand it up straight - or attach it to the wall - and use the digital camera set at the highest resolution.

Works great - you have all the size you need and can adjust at will.

John