PDA

View Full Version : John Ratzenberger on Fox News

Pat Germain
04-21-2008, 7:40 PM
Today I caught part of an interview with John Ratzenberger on Fox News. (He's the actor who played Cliff Claven on "Cheers" and hosts a Travel Channel show called "Made in America".)

Ratzenberger was echoing many of the things we often say here on SMC. He talked about how American workers are losing their skills and knowhow. He lamented students are no longer taking shop and have no idea how to use tools. When the host asked why that was important, Ratzenberger commented great inventions are from people who learned that stuff in youth and applied those skills later in life as enterpreneurs. He said every industry started with one invention. There was also discussion about industry in China.

Anyway, I found his comments quite interesting. There was also a slight political side to the discussion which I won't go into. You can view the video on the Fox News web site in the Political Section under "Videos" then "Ratzenberger Reacts".

Dewey Torres
04-21-2008, 8:02 PM
Pat,
He has been doing that show for some time now and I recall a similar interview (can't remember where) that had him saying the same thing. I TIVOed about 3/4 of the first season of this show and found it quite interesting...
Do you know the smooth taste of Jack Daniels is accomplished the same way today as it was when the company was founded... from the same spring water and by straining the whiskey through charcoal?
Or that Sears will STILL fix any craftsman hand tool (such as the forged wrenches). Same policy for years?
God Bless the USA.
Man it is so hard to find that Made in the USA sticker you and I grew up with (and be able to trust it), huh?
I was surprised that he and the network were able to complete a whole season on the matter to be honest.
Dewey

Pat Germain
04-21-2008, 9:15 PM
I've never caught the "Made In America" show. Is it still running?

While many of our old and familiar products are no longer made stateside, many things still are. Most of them are high-end, industrial products gadflys such as us don't buy.

I do know Taylor, Gibson, Fender and Martin guitars are still made in the USA. They each offer low-end versions of their instruments which are made in Asia, but the genuine articles are Yankee-built. The Taylor factory is in San Diego, California, of all places. I bet Ratzenberger stopped in at one of those factories.

I'm still wondering if energy prices will have an affect on making things on the other side of the planet. It takes a lot of diesel to push a container ship across the Pacific.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting to hear Ratzenberger saying many of the same things we say here on SMC.

Mike Langford
04-21-2008, 10:23 PM
Pat, You forgot one other Made In U.S.A. guitar.....Ovations!
Since 1966....Not as long as Fender,Gibson, or Martin, but way longer than Taylor!

I've been to their factory in New Hartford, Connecticut many times as a member of the Ovation Fan Club (Ovationfanclub . com) and they have hands down the BEST customer service and repair people in the industry!

Did you know that Fender now owns Ovation? They (Fender) aquired Kaman Music Corp. back in Dec.'07....
http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/ticker/article.aspx?Feed=BW&Date=20071029&ID=7711154&Symbol=US:KAMN

Greg Peterson
04-22-2008, 12:20 AM
Pat, I think you got it slightly wrong. :D

Here is the proper order: Fender, Martin, Gibson, Ovation and then Taylor.

The National Enquirer has more credibility than any TV network (air or cable) news program. At least with the NE you know they're pulling your leg and it's all in good, harmless fun.

Joe Pelonio
04-22-2008, 7:10 AM
I've never caught the "Made In America" show. Is it still running?

Yes
(New Season Travel Channel Wednesdays 9 & 9:30pm ET, old repeats
some weekdays during the day)

I find it very interesting to see how some things are made.

Dennis Peacock
04-22-2008, 8:19 AM
I loved that showed.!!!!!

What I'm finding out in going places with the LOML and the kids is that I am hearing "other" people ask if the store has product xyz that is not made in China. Even store employees are stepping up to meet customer demands and directing customers to the management asking them to purchase stock that is not made in China.
I even met a lady who had shopped around for 2 hours around town to find a tire guage that was made in America. She found it and the quailty was such that I went and purchased one for my own vehicles.

I'm totally amazed at how many Americans there are out there that are willing to go out of their way and added expense (in some cases) to purchase items that are not made in China. I even heard one man say "I don't care where it's made...as long as it's not made in China".

I'd better get off here and get busy before I get on a political box that isn't allowed here. ;)

Greg Cole
04-22-2008, 8:57 AM
Made in America was/is a show I'll watch if I happen to find it in my few minutes of channel surfing I allow myself a day... Sears tools (tear drop ratchets), Corvettes, Red Wing Boots, Georgia Pacific Plywood (IIRC it was GP).. are a few I've seen.
To me Cliff err John is part of the reason I watch, kinda like Dirty Jobs with Mike Roe.... the delivery of the host & antics are equally interesting as the material being presented.

Cheers.
Greg

Ben Rafael
04-22-2008, 9:36 AM
Fenders are made in the USA, asia and mexico. The ones made in mexico are excellent. IMO they still make some in the USA because they can charge more for them and people will pay it. I think many businesses could make things in the US and charge more and still sell plenty, they just aren't willing to take the chance.

Pat Germain
04-22-2008, 1:06 PM
Pat, I think you got it slightly wrong. :D

Here is the proper order: Fender, Martin, Gibson, Ovation and then Taylor.

Well, considering I own a Taylor and my son owns a Taylor and a Gibson Les Paul, we'll have to politely disagree on that. ;) All those guitars are great. I've played each of them and I just personally prefer Taylor. (Although, it's been a very long time since I've done any playing.)

I do agree the Mexican Strats are very nice guitars.

Peter Stahl
04-22-2008, 1:48 PM
Cliffy is very knowledgable now isn't He. You all thought it was just a act. One of my all time favorite shows. Still watch it on TV Land.

Mike Cutler
04-22-2008, 3:58 PM
Well, considering I own a Taylor and my son owns a Taylor and a Gibson Les Paul, we'll have to politely disagree on that. ;) All those guitars are great. I've played each of them and I just personally prefer Taylor. (Although, it's been a very long time since I've done any playing.)

I do agree the Mexican Strats are very nice guitars.

Pat

Those Taylor's are going to age just fine.
I bought my D-35 Martin new in 1978. It was brassy, and a tad high, but had a beautiful voice and projection. After thirty years that guitar has mellowed with age, has a greater mid-range and vibrates my whole chest.

Every Taylor I've ever played reminded me of my Martin when it was new. Those are going to be some awesome guitars when they get a few decades of age into them.

Dennis Peacock
04-22-2008, 4:54 PM
Fenders are made in the USA, asia and mexico. The ones made in mexico are excellent. IMO they still make some in the USA because they can charge more for them and people will pay it. I think many businesses could make things in the US and charge more and still sell plenty, they just aren't willing to take the chance.

Correct on each account. I am an American Made Fender Jazz Bass owner and LOVE it!!!! :D :cool:
BUT....I got it for half price due to a store closing out the Fender line. :D :D