PDA

View Full Version : 1/4" vs. 1/2" router bits

Matt Stiegler
04-21-2008, 7:02 PM
I have a cheap 1.5 hp craftsman router that I was given. It has a 1/4" collett. I don't have any router bits yet. I am planning to buy a starter set of LV bits, to use now and when/if I decide to upgrade to a good router sometime down the line. The problem is, only 1/4" bits will fit my current router, and I've read here and elsewhere that 1/2" shank bits are better than 1/4".

So my question is, do you think I'd be sorry down the line that I bought 1/4" bits now instead of waiting til I could afford to spring for a new router too? Does the difference in performance and/or durability between 1/2" and 1/4" matter for a weekend woodworker like me?

Dewey Torres
04-21-2008, 7:12 PM
I can't speak for your router but most will accommodate a larger collet. Look for the product accessories for your router and you are likely to find a 1/2 collet. You just change them out. What is the model number of your router?

Dewey

Peter Quinn
04-21-2008, 7:21 PM
I prefer 1/2" shanks when possible as the additional stiffness of the shank seems to deflect less and the steel body of the cutter is thicker at its thinest part than a corresponding 1/4" shank cutter which gives more strength for deeper cuts. Some bigger bits are only available in 1/2" shank but these are not likely to spin well on a smaller router anyway.

That said I started acquiring more 1/4" shank cutters when I got a bosch colt, which only accepts 1/4" bits. I have spun them in all my other routers at some point without issue. As a weekend hobbiest I think you can expect reasonable longevity and safety from any quality cutter made in the 1/4" format. I think basic 1/4" profiling bits will still be of value to you should you upgrade to a bigger router.

Mike Henderson
04-21-2008, 7:21 PM
If you have one of the older Craftsman routers, it only takes 1/4" bits. While 1/4" bits are okay, there are many profiles that really benefit from the larger shank.

I realize it's always difficult to spend money, but I'd only buy what you absolutely need in 1/4" and plan to upgrade to a router that accepts 1/2" shank bits as soon as you're able. It may be that someone on the forum has a router in decent condition they'll sell you at low cost, if you're not picky about the brand.

Mike

Eric Gustafson
04-21-2008, 7:24 PM
I have two Craftsman routers 1 1/2 hp and two PC 2 1/4 hp routers. It is kind of crazy, perhaps I should sell one or two, but I use two in router tables and two for freehand use. I use 1/4 shanks in the Craftsman and 1/2 shanks in the PC. Funny thing is, I have never had a problem with the 1/4" shanks. I bought a big set of 1/4 bits from Costco one time and they work great. I had a 1/2" slip once, but I must not have tightened it adequately.

Rick Moyer
04-21-2008, 7:30 PM
Just my opinion but if you are considering buying more router bits then I suspect you plan to use the router a fare amount. If so, I would recommend a bigger router and 1/2" bits. I had/have a similar Craftsman router (Dad's) and now use it mainly with the small bits (1/8 roundover, 1/4 rounder, etc.). Sometime back I got the Bosch 1617EVS kit, and more recently the Milwaukee 5625 for the router table. I still would like to add another some time for dedicated dovetails, but I don't do many of them, yet anyway.
My point is that if you anticipate using a router bit of a larger size, most will be available in 1/2 but many not in 1/4. You'll likely need to buy a bigger router anyway, so why not bite the bullet now and be able to use the 1/2 bits. Easy to spend someone else's money, isn't it!?:)

Matt Ocel
04-21-2008, 7:38 PM
Matt -
When I got my first router I ran out and bought a set of bits at big orange. They worked good on the first 3 feet of pine then after that forget it and some profiles that came in the kit I will never use.
Now I only buy Freuds, and aquire them on an as needed basis.
I try to use 1/2" only.

My .02

Dick Bringhurst
04-21-2008, 7:49 PM
Buy what you need now. Then when/if you get another router get one the can use both 1/4 and 1/2 inch bits. I believe the 1/2" shanks are stiffer and therfore are better. Dick B.

scott spencer
04-21-2008, 8:44 PM
I'd just get a handful of cheaper (but safe) 1/4" bits for now...Holbren, MLCS (both have free s/h), Woodline, Grizzly, etc.

glenn bradley
04-21-2008, 8:47 PM
Sounds like you have your answer here Matt. I have a C-man, 1/4" collet that I bought over 30 years ago and still use. Is it anywhere near as nice as a modern router, no. But, to your dilemma. I use 1/2" shaft whenever possible. I have the old C-man and a Bosch Colt so 1/4" bits are in my arsenal as well.

As others have said, since you have an if/when stance on buying another router, I would buy only just what you need and probably not top quality at that. If/when you decide this is something you may use and enjoy, there is time to by better routers and bits.

I keep a half dozen routers around at any given time and several dozen bits sharp and ready to use. Others here may have one or two routers and half a dozen bits. I know one member has 20-something PC 690's plus other routers and who knows how many bits . . . I couldn't even store that many router motors, let alone use them ;-)

Matt Stiegler
04-21-2008, 8:51 PM
Thanks everyone for the very helpful advice. I've gone ahead and ordered a set of 1/4" bits from MLCS. I do think I have a router purchase in my future (thinking MW 5616-24), but this should get me by for now.

Tom Veatch
04-21-2008, 9:05 PM
Matt,

Buy whatever router bits you want/need for your current 1/4" collet. Don't intentionally buy cheap bits with the idea that you'll replace them if/when you upgrade the router. It's disappointing and a waste of money.

If you do decide to get a larger router, and, truth be told, you may never need one ("want" is a different animal) then you can either get a 1/4" collet for the new router and/or get one of these (http://www.woodpeck.com/whitesidereducerbushing.html). Either way lets you use the 1/4" bits in the larger router.

I've done both and either approach works well. As far as the differences between a 1/2" shank bit and an identical profile with 1/4" shank, if your experience matches mine, you won't notice any difference.

Bottom line - buy the 1/4" shank bits you want in the quality you want and go make some sawdust.

Marcus Isaacson
04-21-2008, 9:44 PM
As a side note, the Milwaukee 5616-24 that you are looking at will accept both 1/4" and 1/2" bits, so you can use all your 1/4" bits if you decide to upgrade to this unit. It comes with both collets. I just picked up this router and it is an excellent tool.

glenn bradley
04-21-2008, 9:47 PM
Thanks everyone for the very helpful advice. I've gone ahead and ordered a set of 1/4" bits from MLCS. I do think I have a router purchase in my future (thinking MW 5616-24), but this should get me by for now.

Potential thread-jack - I picked one of those up and have really grown attached to it. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=77614 No one else really seemed interested ;-)

Anthony Whitesell
04-21-2008, 9:58 PM
I have both a 1/4" only old single speed Craftsman and a variable speed 1/4&1/2 Bosch.

I don't think of the 1/4" collet as a problem. I would by a 1/4" bit if I had too without thinking twice about. Sometimes you have to, a 1/2" pattern following bit only comes in 1/4" shank.

I do think of the 1/4" as a limitation. There are more 1/2" shank bits out there than there are 1/4".

Tom Veatch
04-21-2008, 10:09 PM
...I don't think of the 1/4" collet as a problem. I would by a 1/4" bit if I had too without thinking twice...

Exactly! I buy bits based on their profile. If the same profile is available in 1/4 and 1/2 shanks, I'll give the 1/2 shank priority, but, when all's said and done, the profile is what I'm buying.

Rich Engelhardt
04-22-2008, 4:08 AM
Hello,
A 1/4" collet old Craftsman router and a new 1/4" collet Ryobi have served me adequately for years.
As mentioned earlier though, it does mean you have to accept some limitations.
Also - as mentioned earlier - most 1/2 collet routers come with a 1/4" collet as well.
Both my Freud 1700 and PC 690 did.

Steven Hardy
04-22-2008, 5:20 AM

Good thinking! The 1/4 in bits will be useful for a long time unless they are oversized for the cut. What is oversized?? Way too many variables to begin to answer that one.

John Pahl
04-22-2008, 10:22 AM
I was in the same situation a few years ago that you are now. A craftsman router that would only take 1/4" shank bits. I bought an inexpensive sit of Viper bits from the BORG and a set of round over bits from Craftsman. I've since bought a 2 new PC routers that will take 1/4 or 1/2" bits and usually buy the 1/2" when I have a choice. I still use the first bits I purchased (espically the crarftsman bits, they seem to have stayed sharper, longer). the more expensive Freud and Whiteside bits are simply better and will prove to be the better investment in the long run but there's no reason for you to scrap you craftsman router just because it won't take the 1/2" bits.

John

Pat Germain
04-22-2008, 3:04 PM
Be sure to check your router collet carefully, Matt. The old Craftsman routers had the collet machined into the motor shaft. Since you're always using the same collet with this router, they often didn't take very long to wear out. When the collet wears out, you have to throw the whole router away. It's simply not safe to use a router with a worn collet that won't clamp down properly.

Dollars to doughnuts, your router collet is fine. Just make sure. :)

Greg Hines, MD
04-22-2008, 3:09 PM
My suggestion would be to buy a small set for that router, in 1/4" shank. Use it until it dies or you need to do something that those bits cannot do, then you will have to decide about getting a new router. The previous post about an integral collet is a good point. I once used an old B&D with an integral collet, and it never worked very good. It is too easy for you to get scoring inside it, and since it is an extension of the motor shaft, there is not any way to service it.

I still have the 5 or 6 bit set that I bought for that old router. I hardly ever use them, but it nice to have them in their little wooden box squirrelled away in the toolbox just in case.

Doc

Johnny Fischer
04-22-2008, 6:58 PM
Mat,
If your interested I have a Craftsman Professional plunge router you can have for $150.00 plus S&H.
Was Purchased new. Placed into my old router table and used on two small projects. It is in excellent / new condition. The router has an adapter plate for table set up. Original plastic base plate and edge guide missing.
Dont know where they went, shop ate them.
I originally pd approx. $360.00 for it, plus, for adapter base plate.
Description:
Model 315.268350
3 1/2 HP
1/2" collet
15 amp
VS, Plunge
If interested PM me.