PDA

View Full Version : Linking to another forum

Larry Browning
04-21-2008, 5:57 PM
Yesterday, I posted a link to a thread in another forum which is a violation of the TOS. Sorry:eek:

Anyway, the moderator removed the link and replaced it with the name of the forum. I have no problem with this, I really do want to follow the rules.
I posted the following question in that thread, but received no responses to my question, so I thought I would post it here to see if I might get a response.

I am afraid that just posting the name of the other forum is not enough to direct the reader to the actual post I was referring to. I really don't want to violate TOS, but I still have a question about how to go about directing a reader an exact post in another forum. Maybe, list the name of the forum and then give instruction as how to find the post via search or some other navigation??????
Can I post the link as plain text , and not have it be an actual link? The reader could then select and copy the text to his clipboard, then manually paste it into his browser.

What is the preferred/acceptable way to do this?

Thanks,

Jim Becker
04-21-2008, 6:10 PM
Larry, I did not see your subsequent question. The TOS prohibits "direct links" to another forum. But you can certainly give usable information to get someone to where they need to go if you feel that it's worth the effort and good information.

Jim
SMC Moderator

Larry Browning
04-21-2008, 7:46 PM
Larry, I did not see your subsequent question. The TOS prohibits "direct links" to another forum. But you can certainly give usable information to get someone to where they need to go if you feel that it's worth the effort and good information.

Jim
SMC Moderator

Jim,
I sometimes spend my entertainment time using stumble upon which sends me to various web sites that interest me. 500 TV channels yet nothing good to watch! Anyway, I sometimes stumble upon a forum thread link that looks like something that would be good to share with the SMC membership. I really have no idea how to navigate to these threads, except to post the link.
Would it be ok if I just posted the link as text so that others could copy and paste?

Mark Kosmowski
05-17-2008, 9:36 PM
Would posting the name of the forum and a post or thread ID number be acceptable to accomplish the OP's intent?

Jim Becker
05-17-2008, 9:43 PM
Yes, Mark, as long as it is not a direct link.

Jim
SCM Moderator