PDA

View Full Version : Mission Accomplished!

Dale Thompson
03-30-2004, 11:35 PM
Hi Folks,
I know that I should be embarrassed by posting pictures of a simple "mission" coffee table. On the other hand, pictures are what keep artists like "Spring" and Tyler informed about what is going on with SMC. :) :) Now that I have met a "good" guy from Minnesota, I can't knock the "Vikes" anymore. I sure hope that there are no nice folks down in the Chicago area. If I get the Bears taken away, I won't have any material left.

Anyway, I have two points on the attached photos: First: Simple stuff is much more difficult to make than fancy stuff. With fancy stuff, you can draw the viewers eye away from your mistakes using some fancy moldings or other distractors. You can't do this with "simple" stuff. The finished product is viewed as a "whole". For a klutz like me, this is fatal!! :eek: :eek:

Secondly, dovetailed drawer slides should be limited to one and reserved for the bottom of a drawer. I tried to use them for both sides of the drawer. Lesson learned! :o :o I spent a full day trying to "shim" them correctly. NO WAY!!! The tails seem to "lock". Sometimes they lock in the back and sometimes they lock in the front. OK - so laugh!! Remember that I am a klutz. If you have an answer for this one, please let me know. Try to be nice. I am a VERY sensitive person. ;) ;)

Anyway, if you've got a few seconds to waste ---- :o :o

Dale T.

Tyler Howell
03-30-2004, 11:46 PM
Yah you should be. I thought there were rules about putting basic popcicle stick projects on this site. Really.
Dale for a cheese guy you are alright. Don't get any on that table.

Dale Thompson
03-30-2004, 11:53 PM
Yah you should be. I thought there were rules about putting basic popcicle stick projects on this site. Really.
Dale for a cheese guy you are alright. Don't get any on that table.

Tyler,
Ya see: There was this Viking fan -- well -- YOU know the rest! ;) :)

Dale T.

John Miliunas
03-30-2004, 11:55 PM
You're right, Dale. No place to hide "mistakes" on a piece like that. Then again, I see NONE! I especially like the way you did the stiles on the sides. That's pretty trick! Nice job for an old Cheesehead! One 'o these years, I *might* get that good! :cool:

Pat Salter
03-31-2004, 1:14 AM
you can say what you want about those vikes and bears, just don't say anything about the 9ers ;)
That's an awesome job. my only question is... what kind of stain/finish?

Jason Tuinstra
03-31-2004, 9:38 AM
Dale, I really like the look of the slats recessed into the rails. Nice touch.

Tyler Howell
03-31-2004, 10:17 AM
[QUOTE=Dale Thompson]Tyler,
Ya see: There was this Viking fan -- well -- YOU know the rest! ;) :)

Dale too nice! I love the way the slats are cut in on the sides. For a guy on a steady diet of Packer Pie you show a lot of artistry and sofistication in your work.

Paul Smith
03-31-2004, 10:37 AM
Very nice looking table, Dale. Good, clean lines. I also like the way the slats are recessed into the rails. As to the drawer "locking", have you tried a simple coat of wax on the runners and in the slots? I know it's an obvious fix, but those are sometimes the ones we overlook.

Dale Thompson
03-31-2004, 11:23 AM
Very nice looking table, Dale. Good, clean lines. I also like the way the slats are recessed into the rails. As to the drawer "locking", have you tried a simple coat of wax on the runners and in the slots? I know it's an obvious fix, but those are sometimes the ones we overlook.

Paul,
I would love to try the wax thing. The problem is that the recepient is going to do the staining and varnishing. I'm afraid that wax would cause him some problems if I couldn't get it all off. I think that I am just going to trim the "tails" off of the side supports. The rectangles on the supports SHOULD ride nicely in the drawer grooves. I've already tried that on a scrap piece.

As a last resort, if all else fails, I can make a new drawer and supports in an hour or so. This time I'll put the dovetail where it should have been in the first place.

As my grandfather used to say, "Being stupid is NOT a crime, it's just a bit inconvenient sometimes". For ME, make that ALL the time!! :( :o

Dale T.

Daniel Rabinovitz
03-31-2004, 11:46 AM
Dale
I don't know how you folks, with frozen fingers, from "up north" turn out such nice stuff.
Great job
Daniel :cool:

Brian Knop
03-31-2004, 1:05 PM
Never! I always enjoy looking at everyone's projests. It's great way of picking up new ideas. I especially like any mission stuff!

Brian