PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening Question

Jeff Wright
04-21-2008, 5:10 PM
I ordered a Delta Industrial slow-speed grinder. I need some advice as to what tools to get for sharpening turning tools. I would like to install a 60-grit Norton 3X wheel on the left side with a Veritas tool rest system http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,43072,45938&p=32975 to sharpen my hand plane blades and chisels when they get really rough. On the right wheel, I would like to install a dedicated wheel for the lathe (I have a PM3520B on order!).

Questions:

1] What wheel do you suggest for grinding turning tools?
2] Should I have two grinding wheels for sharpening turning tools, one coarse and one less so?
3] Which of the Wolverine sharpening tools do you recommend? Lee Valley offers a number of different ones here http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,43072&p=52372
4] Are you happy with Wolverine's diamond wheel dressing tool?

Thanks!

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-21-2008, 6:06 PM
Afternoon, Jeff. Let's see if I can answer your questions.

My Grinder has an 80 grit and 120 Grit White Aluminum Oxide Wheel. For turning, I use the 120 for all but scrapers. That's because of the way I sharpen the scraper. If your 60grit Norton is Aluminum Oxide, I don't see it being a problem. Hopefully, this answers 1 and 2.

#3 If you are using Gouges, Scrapers, Skews, and Irish ground tools, you need the base unit, the Skew tool rest, and the Verigrind Jig. (Have the local woodworking store demonstrate how to set it up with your grinder and use the different jigs.)

#4 I use a retangular Dressing tool.

Hope this helps.

Bruce

Jeff Wright
04-21-2008, 6:38 PM
Thanks Bruce! I was considering using both a 60 and 120-grit wheel, so from what you suggest it looks like that may work out ok.

By the way, I see you have over 2,700 posts here on SMC. You've got to be one of the site's most active contributor!

Bernie Weishapl
04-21-2008, 8:35 PM
Bruce hit the nail on the head. You will be fine with the 60 and 120. That is what I have on mine. I use the 120 on gouges and skews but not on scrapers. On scrapers I like to use the courser wheel. I did not get the wolverine dressing tool. I like the square ones the best.

Bob Hamilton
04-21-2008, 8:52 PM
I use an 80 grit wheel on mine. I would agree that you need the Wolverine base jig and varigrind. I am not entirely sure what Bruce meant about the skew tool rest. The adjustable flat tool rest platform would be on my list of must haves, but the skew arm that attaches to the pocket of the Wolverine arm to provide offset pockets for the end of the skew handle is not particularly useful in my experience and opinion. I really do not like the grind it produces on my skews and have gone back to grinding my skews on the flat tool rest. If you can grind a bench chisel or plane iron on a flat tool rest you shouldn't have any problem with a skew.

Good Luck!
Bob

John Sheets
04-22-2008, 4:57 AM
Jeff,
You will see the well-known teachers/experts recommending grits from 60 to 120, so apparently it's still a debatable point. Can't go wrong with the advice already given.
I agree with Bob on the Wolverine skew jig. I use one once and saw little if any advantage. If you move the tool left-right across the wheel any, then it does not move in a straight line since the tool handle end is the fulcrum point. I think you can freehand its travel more accurately, and of course the platform maintains the bevel angle.
Regarding the diamond dressing tool, I have it, use it, and like it. It is a little fussy in use, but the result is a wheel that runs true concentrically, has a flat grinding surface, and is aligned with your Wolverine mounting base, and therefore your other attachments, such as the V-arm and the Varigrind.
I think Wolverine also has an attachment that will do your hand chisels and plane irons.

Matt Hutchinson
04-22-2008, 6:50 AM
Well, here's the only thing I use. One Norton 100 grit 32A "white wheel".
(32A100-K8VBE)

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Sharpening___Grinders___Wheels___Norton_32A_White_ Wheel___norton_wheels?Args=

It's not actually white, and it not like the white wheels whose grit comes flying off. It's closer to a blue wheel in color, but it doesn't overheat the tool. I have found it to be very nice. I chose the 100 grit based on two reasons. 1: You don't grind away the tool quite as fast, i.e. more sharpenings. 2: With all cutting tools, the finer grit used on the edge the cleaner the cut. Though it may not be terribly noticeable, I imagine that it's slightly easier to get clean cuts on tricky grain.

That's being said, budget may be an issue. This wheel ain't cheap, but it has exceeded my expectations. (Those of you who haven't used one of these, you don't know what your missing. :)) Also, everything other people are posting in this thread is good advice. It's hard to "make a mistake" in choosing a white wheel.

I managed to kill my first dressing tool. The 'T' shaped dressers with a hollow sqare tube impregnated with diamond can be ground through! In my ignorance, I ended up using too much pressure when dressing the wheel. Here's what I use now. http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Sharpening___Grinders___Wheels___Diamond_Wheel_Dre sser___diamond_dresser?Args= (http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Sharpening___Grinders___Wheels___Diamond_Wheel_Dre sser___diamond_dresser?Args)=
This is a great tool, but remember, with whatever dresser you get, you only need to SKIM the surface of the wheel to clean off the impacted metal.

Hutch

Jeff Wright
04-22-2008, 7:20 AM
Bruce, Bernie, John, Bob and Matt . . . thanks for a wealth of knowledge! And some great resources. Still anxiously waiting for the 3520B and Delta industrial grinder to arrive.

Jim Becker
04-22-2008, 9:17 AM
I prefer the 60 grit and 100 grit combination...both available in Norton 3X. I don't like 120 grit wheels...no appreciable gain in sharpness for turning tools and a lot more heat since they work slower. When you are going to the grinder every few minutes to touch up, speed is nice. This is one of the recommendations of David Ellsworth that has stuck with me...

Jerry Sambrook
04-22-2008, 11:44 AM
From personal experience, do not bother with the skew rest, and buy yourself another platform instead. You can dedicat it to the skews, and then do curved or straight cutting edges.
Jerry