PDA

View Full Version : Marble cylinders for making wax stamps

Tom Cullen
04-21-2008, 4:25 PM
I just got a job offer from a friend who makes and sells wax stamps. The type he sells are made from brass, but he recently saw some made from marble and wanted to know if I could do custom jobs in the same manner to expand his product line. Please see the attached photo I found on the net. it looks like these are done with a Co2 laser but I was wondering if they are vector cut or raster? my friend states they would not need to be very deep , just enough to leave an imprint on the wax. I would also like to find a place to purchase the marble cylinders. I have looked at laserbits and the usual on line suppliers but find nothing similar. Ideally I would like to find a dealer that can offer say silver dollar sized rounds about and 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Any help in this directon would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Tom

Mike Null
04-21-2008, 5:05 PM
Tom

If you're able to find the material I doubt that you can achieve enough depth on marble with the laser. If he really wants to sell them as wax stamps I'd think sandblasting would be easy and would work very well.

The image would have to be reversed.

Tom Cullen
04-21-2008, 5:12 PM
Hi Mike,
I understand , but I took the attached image from an established website that he gave me the link too and they specifically state that the marble is laser engraved ( looks like co2 to me ). I'm thinking I could get the same results that they have in the image but he wants to be able to insert them into his hand held stampers thats why I was looking for dollar sized rounds .

Thanks
Tom

Frank Corker
04-21-2008, 6:49 PM
They appear to be raster engraved pictures. I have done the seals before but I used delrin.

Tom Cullen
04-21-2008, 7:16 PM
Hi Frank,
yeah that's what I was thinking, I was told all I would need was to get the etching 1/32 deep , I figure I could do that on marble if I vector it. This is what the website say's that I got the image from.

"We can create a beautiful High Polished Marble Wax Seal with any artwork or design. Laser etched. Please send a quality black and white line art .tiff, .bmp, .eps or pdf or call a representative for further assistance".

They say "etched" so we know it's most likley a co2 laser. I would love to call them up and ask for the material supplier contact info BUT! I'm thinking one might have to have big brass you know what's to do that LOL!