PDA

View Full Version : Board Buddies and magnetic feather boards?

jason lambert
04-21-2008, 4:00 PM
In a ever ongoing quest to make my table saw safer I was wondering if anybody uses these? They seem like a good idea.

Also the magnetic feather boards seem more convenient than the miter slot ones.

Lee Schierer
04-21-2008, 4:13 PM
I have the Grip Tite Magnetic feather boards and really like them. I use them all the time. They install quickly and easily so you will actually take time to use them and the come off the table in a hurry too.
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~us71na/lsfence1.jpg

Mine are the older wooden type and also have a side roller for rip cuts. The steel plate on the fence is an extra option.

Peter Quinn
04-21-2008, 4:13 PM
I bought board buddies when I set up my shop but have yet to find them useful. They get in my way and seem to throw off my cuts. I'll send you a set if you want them. I find a good splitter or riving knife, a well tuned saw, a sharp blade and a shop made push block offer greater safety for the TS than a bunch of mechanical junk screwed to the fence.

I do use some shop made feather boards that lock into the miter channel or clamp to the fence with much success. The magnetic ones look like a great time saver and offer greater flexibility of set up but the cost has thus far kept me from buying them.

Mike SoRelle
04-21-2008, 4:15 PM
I have a few magnetic featherboards, and I *LOVE* them, it's way easier to get them set where you need and in turn, I'm more likely to use them.

For that reason I'm seriously considering the benchdog router table with the cast iron top so I can use them there too.

I've also become enamored with making jigs that integrate the 'switchble' magnets, it's just so convenient

Mike

Cary Swoveland
04-21-2008, 4:32 PM
I generally use a magnetic featherboard in front of the blade and a Board Buddy behind. The problem with using a BB in front is that it may interfere with the use of a push stick. By both pulling the stock against the fence and holding it down, the BB on the back side helps ensure clean, straight cuts, as well as enhance safety.

Cary

Greg Hines, MD
04-21-2008, 6:06 PM
I use Feather Loc feather boards for my table saw, and for my router table. I have two pairs of them, two with miter sliders, and two without. they install in seconds, and give even pressure where it is needed. My saw table is aluminum, so I cannot use the magnetic types. A plywood fence attached to the metal one holds a T-track for this, and it keeps the blade away from the fence.

Doc

Jim Becker
04-21-2008, 6:29 PM
I do use the magnetic feather boards; primarily on my BS and BenchDog router table. With my slider, the wagon is aluminum, so the magnetic version just doesn't work. ;) For there, I have some wood ones that clamp into the tee-track on the wagon when I'm (rarely) using the fence for ripping something.

Joe Mioux
04-21-2008, 8:50 PM
Board buddies, one in back of the blade, magnetic feather boards and a splitter, make ripping pretty safe.

I have board buddies and magnetic FB's, i just don't have a table saw atm! :(

although that will change:D someone bought mine befor I could buy a new one

You know its kind of nice have extra space in the gar.... a sho... aaaa

now I know what being neutered feels like.:p

jk i do still have me band saw!!!!:D

joe

Mike SoRelle
04-21-2008, 11:13 PM
I do use the magnetic feather boards; primarily on my BS and BenchDog router table. With my slider, the wagon is aluminum, so the magnetic version just doesn't work. ;) For there, I have some wood ones that clamp into the tee-track on the wagon when I'm (rarely) using the fence for ripping something.

Jim,

Not to hijack, but what are your thoughts on the CI BenchDog router table? We can take this to PM if necessary.

Mike

Rick Gifford
04-22-2008, 7:05 AM
I have board buddies and magnetic FB's, i just don't have a table saw atm! :(

although that will change:D someone bought mine befor I could buy a new one

I had the exact same situation and was without a TS for two months.

Funny how important that TS is whan you dont have it...

Jack Clay
04-22-2008, 7:34 AM
Has anybody made there own magnetic feather boards?

Mike SoRelle
04-22-2008, 8:22 AM
Has anybody made there own magnetic feather boards?

I've used some magswitch magnets for other jigs, but at the price of the magnets alone, you'd be better off buying the featherboard product as is and using the stand-alone magnets for other uses.

Hopefully in a few years the 'new' will wear off the switchable magnets and the price will take a nosedive.

Mike

Mark Singer
04-22-2008, 8:39 AM
Board Buddies are really great! I just use one behind the blade unless I am dado or rabbet cutting. The Grip Tites are good and I use them on my bandsaw when I resaw and for some jointer work. I have several posts on the Board Buddies.

Gary McKown
04-22-2008, 9:04 AM
FYI, one way to get the switcheable magnets without breaking the bank is to get some of those Harbor Freight dial-indicator holders when on half-price sale. I am going to fasten one to the back side of the far end of the TS fence (Bies type) for use as a hold-down when necessary.

Chuck Saunders
04-22-2008, 9:14 AM
I put board buddies on the tablesaw at the shop I worked at and they were the first kickback device that worked and was workable for us. I have not gotten a set for home yet but it is on the list.

Mark Singer
04-22-2008, 10:25 AM
Take a look at this...

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=48448&highlight=board+buddies

Paul Johnstone
04-23-2008, 9:27 AM
I find Board buddies to be very useful at the router table too (Use them more than I use them at the tablesaw). I bought the kind of board buddies for shapers, so I don't have the kickback protection.. but the wheels can turn both ways.

Board buddies are great for holding stock down on the router table, like in door rail and stiles..

At the tablesaw, board buddies help hold the wood against the fence.
Obviously, they don't do all the work, but they help.

Jamie Buxton
04-23-2008, 9:47 AM
My complaint about the Grip Tight magnetic feather boards is that they don't grip on to the zero-clearance insert in the table saw. This means that the workpiece pops loose of them several inches away from the blade. Also, that big handle gets in the way.

I really like the idea of making my own using those switchable magnets. I could solve both of my complaints about the Grip Tights. I could scavenge the plastic parts from the grip tights, and put them on a body which works better.

Ben Rafael
04-23-2008, 11:43 AM
One of my board buddies broke easily, it looks like it was cast aluminum. It broke from by hand strength, that is not a good thing, I no longer trust them.
They worked OK when I used them, but they do get in the way sometimes if you use a pushstick.

glenn bradley
04-23-2008, 12:42 PM
I can't speak to the Board Buddies but plenty of folks who's opinions I respect have posted their feelings here. On the mag feather boards, I have really gotten to like these (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=18925&filter=featherboard) as they can go from TS to RT to BS without any fiddling. The fact that the Ridgid (http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100618240) version at HD is only $40 (or less if you use coupons) doesn't hurt either.