PDA

View Full Version : Bathroom Faucet Repair~Please Help

Lance Norris
04-21-2008, 11:18 AM
I have a 2 handled bathroom faucet. The hot side drips. No problem. I tear it apart and it is the cartridge type with the rubber seal and spring that pushes up against the bottom of the cartridge. I replaced the cartridge and spring and seal with new parts. All is well for about a week and then it starts dripping again. Ok... no problem. I replace the seal and spring and all is well for a week. And then it starts dripping again. Ive replaced the spring and seal 3 or 4 times now and the same thing happens. Ive decided that the new cartridge I installed is defective. Did I do something wrong in the original install to damage it? I really dont think I did. I didnt force anything, everything went well as I remember. When I remove the bad seals, they have a bur cut into the top edge of the rubber. HELP...I HATE PLUMBING.

Lee Schierer
04-21-2008, 12:00 PM
It sounds like something is cutting the orings as they are being inserted. The opening should be lubricated before you attempt to slip in the new cartridge. Some manufacturers supply a small tube of lube with the replacement parts. If not then check for sharp edges and lubricate the hole with vaseline, which should rinse out shortly after you start running water.

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-21-2008, 1:59 PM
It sounds like something is cutting the orings

Or maybe you have grit in the water?

Colin Giersberg
04-21-2008, 11:56 PM
I think too that the hot water side of a faucet wears out faster, just because of the hot water. If you think about it, which side always seems to get replaced.

Just my 2 pennies.
Regards, Colin

Russ Filtz
04-22-2008, 6:40 AM
Some manufacturers supply a small tube of lube with the replacement parts. If not then check for sharp edges and lubricate the hole with vaseline, which should rinse out shortly after you start running water.

Vaseline being petroleum based a bad idea? Could go rancid (?) or affect some o-ring material? I think the plumbers silicone lube would be better.

Lee Schierer
04-22-2008, 10:43 AM
I originally thought of silicone, but then I haven't seen any I quite a while. Where would he be likely to find a small tube of silicone?

With regard to the vaseline, a little dab will do yah! Most will wash out on the hot water side in no time at all. Far better than a dry assembly.

Randy Cohen
04-22-2008, 11:22 AM
silicone=caulk

Glenn Clabo
04-22-2008, 11:22 AM
Something like this....

http://www.refrig.com/siliconegrease.html

Leigh Costello
04-22-2008, 12:22 PM
What brand is the faucet? Do they have a lifetime guaruntee on their product? When I worked in the hardware business, lack of lubrication was the most common problem. We recommended just a dab of petroleum jelly, vaseline, on the parts. As has been stated here, it will wash away in very short order, without hurting the rubber components. Silicone caulk would not be a good idea because it will solidify, complicating the problem.

:cool: FYI, in a pinch you can use vaseline to secure the seal on a worn toilet flapper to stop the running. I have tried this, since they only go bad a 1:00 am, just remember to wipe up the stuff when replacing the flapper.

We live in a very hard water region and have installed a whole house water filter with a cartridge that gets replaced monthly. Hubby swears by the Omni brand, but any brand will do if they offer a guaruntee.

Hope this helps.
Leigh, Queen of Hardware, and really, that is my nickname around these parts.;)

Lee Schierer
04-22-2008, 2:59 PM
silicone=caulkNope, don't use caulk use a silicone grease. Caulk will only create more problems.

Don Abele
04-22-2008, 7:08 PM
Lance, once you remove the cartridge, is there a valve seat at the bottom that the cartridge sits on? If so, it may be scored and need to be dressed. The dressing tool for valve seats looks like the same thing you use to sharpen a hollow mortiser chisel. You should be able to pick one up at a plumbing store. After dressing the seat, leave the cartridge out and slowly turn the water on so it floods up and out, washing any debris out.

Be well,

Doc

Denny Rice
04-22-2008, 8:11 PM
Lance, once you remove the cartridge, is there a valve seat at the bottom that the cartridge sits on? If so, it may be scored and need to be dressed. The dressing tool for valve seats looks like the same thing you use to sharpen a hollow mortiser chisel. You should be able to pick one up at a plumbing store. After dressing the seat, leave the cartridge out and slowly turn the water on so it floods up and out, washing any debris out.

Be well,

Doc

I agree with Don. It sounds like the seat needs to be dressed or replaced.

Lance Norris
04-23-2008, 12:38 AM
What brand is the faucet? Do they have a lifetime guaruntee on their product?

Its a Delex... dont know about a guarantee.

Be well,

Doc

I dont think there is a removeable seat. It just has a hole in the bottom for the spring and seal. I will look for a bur and will use vaseline when replacing the seal for the 5th time.

Rick Potter
04-23-2008, 1:11 AM
Silicone GREASE is available at HD. Works good.

Rick Potter

Rich Engelhardt
04-23-2008, 5:32 AM
Hello Lance,

What brand is the faucet? Do they have a lifetime guaruntee on their product?
Its a Delex... dont know about a guarantee.

I'm 100% sold on Moen.
IMHO - they build a very good product, but more importantly, they stand 100% behind what they make.
All four houses we have, have Moen fixtures - or will eventually have them when a replacment is needed.

The Moen warranty is simple.
You buy it for your house, it's covered for as long as you own the house.
(or in our case - 5 years for the three rentals).

David G Baker
04-23-2008, 9:00 AM
I am a big fan of Moen products. I have yet to have a problem with a Moen brand product. Everything that comes into contact with humans and has moving parts will eventually need servicing. Moen has good supply of parts available if they are ever needed.

Don Abele
04-23-2008, 10:49 AM
...I dont think there is a removeable seat. It just has a hole in the bottom for the spring and seal. I will look for a bur and will use vaseline when replacing the seal for the 5th time.

Lance, the seat is not removable on any of them. Check for a burr or nick. If it's present, you need to dress the seat with a dressing tool in place (or replace the faucet).

Be well,

Doc

Lance Norris
04-24-2008, 4:06 PM
Lance, the seat is not removable on any of them. Check for a burr or nick. If it's present, you need to dress the seat with a dressing tool in place (or replace the faucet).

Be well,

Doc

Thanks Don.

Lance Norris
04-24-2008, 4:26 PM
Heres a few pics to show whats happening. The seal has a bur cut into it each time the faucet starts to leak. It only takes a week to ruin the new seal. The cartridge is new, it looks cruddy, but its just light discoloration. It shows badly in the first photo, but really isnt that bad, more like the last photo.

Don Abele
04-24-2008, 8:29 PM
Lance, that seal is definitely getting caught on something sharp. Is the side with the nick in it facing up into the cartridge or down into the faucet body? Does that seal have a spring under it?

Be well,

Doc

Lance Norris
04-24-2008, 9:32 PM
The bur is facing up into the cartridge. There is a spring under the seal. I dont understand how the cartridge is cutting the seal. There aren't any rough edges on the bottom of the cartridge. ???

Don Abele
04-24-2008, 9:54 PM
Lance, when you replace the cartridge, you should also replace the seat seal AND spring. If you've not replaced the spring yet, I would. It should be a buck or two at most (they usually come in a single pack with the seat seal).

Buuuuttt...I have no idea how that seal is getting scored like that. I've fixed a lot of faucets and I've seen nicks like that before, but it was always easy to find the burr that was causing it. I can't think of what may be the culprit here though.

It very well may be time to decide between your time and frustration and about $60 to buy a new faucet set. I'm all about fixing in place vice replacing, but I'm at a loss now to offer additional advice. I just don't know what could be doing it. Sorry.

EDIT: I reread and realize that you have replaced the spring. It's really hard to overtighten a cartridge and the pieces are all slip fit so shouldn't catch or bind during install. Again, sorry Lance, but I'm really at a loss on this one.

Be well,

Doc

Lee Schierer
04-25-2008, 10:45 AM
Can you take a picture of the springs and post that? Also do the instructions come with a parts explosion. FOrm looking at online sources for repair kits for Delex faucets, it appears that the ends of the springs are not ground flat. If that is the case then the indentation you see in the rubber will probably match the end of the spring. Did you by chance lose a brass waser that should go between the spring and the rubber? It seems unusual to place a spring directly against a piece of rubber.

Don Abele
04-25-2008, 10:48 AM
Lee, I'm pretty sure this is like others I've repaired. The spring actually sits under the rubber seal which fits over/around the top of the spring. The water flows up through the middle of it into the cartridge. That score seems to be coming from the cartridge - how, I don't know.

Be well,

Doc

Lance Norris
04-27-2008, 8:54 PM
Lee... you might be on to something. The next time it starts dripping(soon) I will take a look and see if the spring is poking a hole through the seal. I will grind the top of the spring flat and see if that helps. I didnt see a washer between the spring and seal, but that doesnt mean there shouldnt be one. In your lookings at the Delex stuff online, did you see something between the spring and seal? Dons description of the way it works is correct. Here are pics of a new spring.

Leigh Costello
04-28-2008, 12:49 AM
Lance,
Delex seats and springs are usually sold as a set. Sometimes, during packaging a too tall spring is packaged. If you still have your original springs, compare heights of the springs. Otherwise, I am stumped. The cartrige appears perfect, the springs are seated inside the rubber seat with no washer needed. Also check to see if your original springs were tapered or straight. That's all I can offer. Good luck.