PDA

View Full Version : Took the plunge!!

mike wallis
03-30-2004, 10:23 PM
Hi everyone,
I took the big leap today and ordered a Epilog Mini 35 watt. The price was right and I am sooo sick of shopping for a machine! Since it won't be here for 4-5 weeks I have plenty of time to get aquainted with Corel.
Thanks all for your feedback and especially a big thanks to Keith for the
priceless info over the phone. No doubt i'll be roaming the board alot.

Mike

Keith Outten
04-06-2004, 5:52 AM
Mike,

I'm glad to hear that your shopping for a laser is over, I know how frustrating it can be. I'm interested in how the new Mini performs, it is an attractive alternative for a mobile machine and my Legend isn't what I would consider mobile at all.

What power supply did you order?

mike wallis
04-07-2004, 1:18 PM
Mike,

I'm glad to hear that your shopping for a laser is over, I know how frustrating it can be. I'm interested in how the new Mini performs, it is an attractive alternative for a mobile machine and my Legend isn't what I would consider mobile at all.

What power supply did you order?

Keith,
Although I have nothing to compare it to im also interested in the performance. According to Epilog it is just under the Legend, around 70-75 IPS.
The only thing that concerns me on the machine is it is a brand new model "Bugs". On another note if its like any of the other Epilog models it should be outstanding.
I went for the 35 Watt model since I would like to cut wood as well. It runs around $1500 more than the 25 Watt, putting it at $11,500. Still not a bad price especally considering most people won't even hesitate to drop $30,000 on a car these days.
In all I think hard to go wrong with a laser purchase. Worst cast senerio, after a honest effort you decide its not for you, sell it. Most reputable lasers seem to hold there value.

Keith Outten
04-13-2004, 4:45 AM
Mike,

Remember the other night when we were talking on the phone my engraver was beeping every few minutes, the photos below are the results of several evenings work. This is one of those jobs on the what to do list as opposed to what not to do and will pay for your new engraver real quick :)

These are heart pine cutting boards engraved without a finish applied which means they are more difficult to clean after engraving. Normally you would just wipe away the smoke with a damp cloth. I had to scrub these and it raised the grain a bit but the rustic look is what the customer wanted. Although pine is not a prefered type of wood for engraving it is possible to obtain a fair quality job.

mike wallis
04-13-2004, 11:21 PM
Looks great Keith, especally for no finish. What was the total count engraved?

Keith Outten
04-14-2004, 4:53 AM
Mike,

Two hundred cutting boards engraved with the possibility of three hundred more depending on how well they sell I guess. These are fund raisers for New Kent County, it is their 350th anniversary. Funds raised will pay for other events later in the year.

I had to haul the boards up and down the stairs since my engraver is in my shop office on the second floor which means each board was handled about four times including unloading and loading. For bulk jobs I prefer the glass tumblers, glass requires less cleanup during the job. Pine as you know is a problem due to the tar and the smoke requires machine cleaning often to keep the lenses performing at optimum level.

All in all this has been a nice job, and I hope they will order the other 300 :)