View Full Version : Lack of power, skill or both?

Joe Van Norman
04-21-2008, 10:08 AM
I'm still new to turning and have just learned how to put a consistant grind on my bowl gouge. I've been turning dry firewood.

This past week I obtained a 7" diameter green (soaking wet) log of crab apple. I've cut out two 6" diameter bowl blanks. When I put one on my lathe (Wilton 99177) I found that unless I take very small cuts (about 1/32" wide shavings), the lathe bogs down to a complete stop.

Am I asking too much of the lathe or should the 2/5 HP motor be able to handle turning a bowl from a 6x4" blank?

Steve Schlumpf
04-21-2008, 10:24 AM
Joe - just based on the info you provided - it sure sounds like your lathe is at fault. I would think it should be able to turn the wood - have you checked the belt tension?

By the way - Welcome to the Creek! Hopefully we'll get someone who has first hand knowledge of your lathe to check in and help out. Best of luck - keep us informed!

Barry Elder
04-21-2008, 10:29 AM
Not enough HP, Joe. Don't know where you are, but you could check the AAW site and find out where the nearest turning club is and maybe find out that one of your neighbors is a turner. Quickest way to learn is hands-on. Next would be a DVD. Some of the you tube videos are first-rate also.

Norm Zax
04-21-2008, 10:47 AM
Happens to me from time to time when the headstock's bite dissappears. If you're using a regular 2 or 4 spur drive center and it is slipping, simply remove from lath, give it a good pounding and return back to position.

Joe Van Norman
04-21-2008, 12:13 PM
I was using a Nova Midi chuck. I used a 4 spur drive until I had a tennon for the chuck.

I am a member of the Badger Woodturner's club. When turning with their sharpened bowl gouges, I have not boged down the floor model Jet lathes.

Scott Lux
04-21-2008, 12:16 PM
It's the lathe. I have the same one. I keep my projects small and cuts light. I knew I was buying a small lathe, but I didn't realize how small. I'm ok with it so far, but I do hear a little larger lathe in my future.

Lux

Eugene Malone
04-21-2008, 5:05 PM
Hi Joe,Am I reading tour post correctly,has your lathe got a 2-1/2 hp motor. you should be able to turn wet with a 1"1/2roughing gouge with that motor. I have a 1hp Scheppach 1200 lathe for the past 5 months and have not stalled it yet. Hope someone here can help you if they cant return to seller and go bigger. Regards Boysie

Brad Knight
04-21-2008, 5:44 PM
Eugene,

It's 2/5hp.. or 40% of the power you have. Mine has 1/2 hp and has only stalled when I've left the indexing pin in. :)

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-21-2008, 5:49 PM
I use the Wilton as a traveling for the fact that it only weighs 45 lbs. It is only really good for Pens, Bottle Stoppers, and other SMALL things.

I suggest you look at either the Jet or Rikon mini. They are both good lathes. Check the features and the threads here to make a decision, when you're ready to upgrade.

Bruce

Bernie Weishapl
04-21-2008, 8:39 PM
Yep have to agree. 2/5 hp is not enough even for a small bowl.

Joe Van Norman
04-21-2008, 8:57 PM
Thanks for all the responses.

I'll treat the 2/5 (.4) hp motor as a safety feature that forces me to use sharp tools and take my time.

I've found that when the piece is balanced and can be safely turned at higher RPMs (1500-2000) it's much easier to get a decent shaving without stalling.

Gordon Seto
04-22-2008, 3:51 AM
Light duty lathe with cranked up speed is not a safe thing to do. When the blank becomes airborne, it is still high speed.
Scale down or look for another lathe.