PDA

View Full Version : Air assist compressor

Paul Lee
04-21-2008, 10:02 AM
The old air compressor that we have used for a few years has conked out. Any recommendations on a new model that runs silent and delivers a good air flow. I'll be hooking it up to an Epiolg Mini. I'm looking for something better than an airbrush pump.

Paul Lee

Joe Pelonio
04-21-2008, 10:15 AM
An airbrush pump that can do 30lbs is the quietest option. While I have several noisy powerful compressors for other things my backup used inside
for the laser when I need more than that, for airgun blowing, and light spray painting is a pretty quiet Husky Portable. I would not use it for air tools but after making several stores plug in and run small compressors found this one to be the least noisy, perhaps because of the enclosure. It's been running fine for 5 years now. Older version of this one:

David Fairfield
04-21-2008, 10:27 AM
I have that one Joe, and think its pretty darn loud when the compressor is running! And it has a small tank so its running fairly often. The worst is when it suddenly kicks on to refill, I've spilled my coffee a few times :eek:

I got a portable refill tank to extend the recharge intervals. Eventually I'll move it into the garage with an air line and power switch to the work area.

There's a fair selection of quiet compressors marketed to airbrush artists, but they tend to be pricey. One called "millionair" really is silent but as the name suggests, its not cheap.

Dave

Joe Pelonio
04-21-2008, 11:01 AM
I have that one Joe, and think its pretty darn loud when the compressor is running! And it has a small tank so its running fairly often. The worst is when it suddenly kicks on to refill, I've spilled my coffee a few times :eek:

Dave
It's loud compared to the airbrush pump but compared to my 30 gallon 5 hp and my pancake compressor it's like a whisper!

Like I said I still think the airbrush pump is the way to go, mine cost $79 with an airbrush at airbrush city and has been going for over 5 years now.

Bill Cunningham
04-22-2008, 7:56 PM
It's funny what kind of noise a compressor can make! For several years, I have been using a 3-4 cfm small portable oilless compressor. I keep it on the second floor, and it's still noisy. After installing a sandblast cabinet, I obviously needed a bigger compressor.. I settled on a V piston machine, driven by a 3 hp single phase motor, and mounted on a vertical 60 gallon tank. The thing was too heavy to haul up the stairs, so I opted to install it on the main floor, next to the SB Cabinet. The laser assist only uses about 1-1.5 cfm so this machine is overkill, but what I can do is load up the tank to cut out at 130psi, and turn it off. The air in the tank being used at 1.5cfm will last 45 min before the tank drops to below 30 psi. Long enough for most jobs, so I don't have to listen to it run for long periods of time. Even if I did, a larger piston machine actually makes less noise than one of those irritating little 3-4 cfm 'air buzzers'.. Not for everybody, but for me it works!