PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Cabinet Gloat - Photo

Jeff Wright
04-21-2008, 9:59 AM
In the process of renovating our home, I removed the old medicine cabinet and was left with an unsightly hole in the wall. I decided to build a cherry cabinet front that would be applied to the wall surrounding the hole. I built the cabinet front pictured below using cherry. It was finished with two coats of Zinnser's Sealcoat and then three coats of Interlux interior satin boat varnish using foam brushes. I love the look of inset hinges and feel they are well worth the added effort required to get them to fit with an even reveal around all four edges of the door. A bullet catch was used to keep the door closed. It was my first time using Sommerfeld's glass door router bit set and I highly recommend them. The set includes a slot cutter that allowed me to cut a slot for the plastic/rubber insert strips that hold the mirror in place. It makes for an easy and quality install. With the bit set, once the first bit is installed to the correct height, you need only remove that bit and drop the others into the router and the height adjustment need not change. A perfect match!

Now, it's on to the entertainment center!

Martin Shupe
04-21-2008, 10:14 AM
Very nice cabinet, Jeff. The cherry looks great, and the workmanship is top drawer!

Roy Wall
04-21-2008, 10:18 AM
Very nice cabinet, Jeff. The cherry looks great, and the workmanship is top drawer!

I'll second that!!

Alan Tolchinsky
04-21-2008, 10:21 AM
Jeff that looks great. I like inset door also; they are worth the extra work and adjusting.

J. Z. Guest
04-21-2008, 10:32 AM
Super-nice Jeff. Now you're committed to using Cherry ju$t about everywhere though...

Jeff Wright
04-21-2008, 10:46 AM
Super-nice Jeff. Now you're committed to using Cherry ju$t about everywhere though...

You're right! I just placed an order with Mike Morgan for a bunch.

Jim Becker
04-21-2008, 6:00 PM
Very nice piece, Jeff. Welcome to "cherry-o-holic" bliss!

Allan Froehlich
04-21-2008, 11:13 PM
Thanks. I feel inspired to build something similar.

It has been some time since I last saw a mirror integrated into a project.

Lori Kleinberg
04-25-2008, 5:15 PM
Very nice cabinet, Jeff. I was already thinking my medicine cabinets looked very blah. After seeing yours I am now very sure I will have to replace my cabinets. Thanks for another addition to my to do list:rolleyes:

Phil Thien
04-25-2008, 5:23 PM
Very nicely done. The bevelled mirror really ads a classy touch.

Tim Thomas
04-25-2008, 5:32 PM
Thanks for posting this. I've got some cherry that I plan to make into a mirror frame but I was unsure of what finish I wanted. I really like what you have here, and I think I'll be copying your "recipe". Very, very nice.

John Thompson
04-25-2008, 8:22 PM
Excellent job with the cherry.. I haven't used any in quite a while, but that will change not too far down the road. My wife is from PA. and loves the cherry wood.

Sarge..

Don Bullock
04-25-2008, 9:33 PM
Jeff, that's a great looking piece. Your craftsmanship really shows.