PDA

View Full Version : Talk me out of this

George Sanders
04-21-2008, 8:33 AM
I have found a bandsaw that is pretty complete. Kinda big at 36".:eek: It's an American Saw Co. #345 Lightning. Its only 5 miles from me and the owner said he would sell it for what he has in it. Would you believe only $250. It needs new tires and blades have to be bought in 100' length then welded to fit. The tires are only about $50 each. The motor is intact too. I have 220. Big honkin table and a 12" cutting height. Its about 8 1/2' tall and won't fit in the garage with a 7 1/2" ceiling. I'm entertaining thoughts of a small building in the backyard. This could get expensive but this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for me.

Jim Becker
04-21-2008, 9:00 AM
Seems to me your only "barrier" is the ceiling height issue...and you have a possible plan for that.

As to blades, Suffolk can make them up to any length you need...you don't have to buy bulk yourself and learn to properly weld them.

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-21-2008, 9:01 AM
So you are thinking of taking on a project saw that is so big that you will need to put it in it's own building?

Do you need this saw~? Do you want a saw in a separate building~? You'll have to run power out there. It'll have to be big enough to justify the saw in it.

Is this the saw that will cause you to build a dedicated shop?

Seems to me that the price may possibly be more seduction than deal.

Of course maybe a slight modification to the Garage might be the better option.
Put a little stack in the roof and pop a skylight in it. Set the saw in place under that.

Don Bullock
04-21-2008, 9:11 AM
... Big honkin table and a 12" cutting height. Its about 8 1/2' tall and won't fit in the garage with a 7 1/2" ceiling. ...

Can you raise a section of the ceiling?

George Sanders
04-21-2008, 9:13 AM
You're right about the seduction part. I have already been musing about a popup in the roof. Do I need this? Like a hole in the head! Do I want it? You betcha! Will good sense prevail? Stay tuned.

Mitchell Andrus
04-21-2008, 9:24 AM
Don't forget floor load, it's bound to weigh 6-700 pounds. This is a major re-saw. Once word gets out there's a saw like this in the neighborhood.... Leave plenty of room for infeed, outfeed and swing for big, round table tops, etc. You won't be cutting scroll patterns I assume.

Todd Bin
04-21-2008, 9:59 AM
Cut a hole in the drywall and let the top of the saw stick up into the attic.

John Thompson
04-21-2008, 10:00 AM
If it's a 36", it will probably weigh more than 600-700 lbs. A Tannewitz or similar will usually hit the scales at around a ton or 2000 lbs give or take. Lots of cast iron in an older one that size.

Should you get it.. I don't know. If you need a project instead of just a band-saw... probably. If not.. I would pass as I did on a 36" Tannewitz for $1600. I would have loved it but... too much space... too much $$ to transport from Arkansas to Atlanta.. too heavy to move once in place in my shop.

I would have loved to have had it... but better judgement prevailed when I realized it would not be a compliment that fit in my shop.. more of my shop would have to fit around it! :)

Good luck with your call...

Sarge.

Carl Fox
04-21-2008, 10:14 AM
George,

Where is it? If you don't want it I'm interested.:D

Peter Quinn
04-21-2008, 10:18 AM
I remember bidding on a 16" northfield jointer that was going reasonably cheep, I had visions of renting a flat bed, having it lowered into my basement with a tow truck (rental), getting a phase convertor, putting in a stronger slab, moving a few things around...I had to let that one go.

Can you put in a large copala with lites for head room? How will you get it into the shop and stood up even if you raise the ceiling? Will the out building allow infeed and outfeed for resaw? I like to have 10' on either end of the table minimum. Possibly an out house with a door on each side, can't use it on rainy days?

Its a challenging prospect that may enrich your life...or...may become the biggest PIA on record, depending on your perspective.

Only you can talk you out of this so think it through carefully, wait at least several days to decide while the facts sink in and the impulse subsides, then make a clear minded decision.

Good Luck.

Eric Gustafson
04-21-2008, 5:49 PM
I am surprised that a 36" saw only has 12" resaw capacity. You can get the same capacity almost any new 18" BS. Brand new, that might be a lot less expensive than another building. Unless you really have the need for such a deep throat. (No intended reference to any film for mature audiences only :eek: )

Grant Morris
04-21-2008, 6:43 PM
With such a poor resaw height I would pass it up and spend a few more bucks on something new which is smaller, lighter, easy to get parts for and more reliable. You will save money in the long run by spending more now. Sounds like those custom made blades alone would be a royal pain in the a$$...

Doug Shepard
04-21-2008, 7:25 PM
How would you even stand that monster upright once through the door? Trying to hoist that much weight from the framing above would probably bring the roof down. Something like an engine hoist probably wouldn't work because of the saw height. ?????

David G Baker
04-21-2008, 7:47 PM
In my opinion, by the time you get the saw set up and working you will have more money tied up into it than it would cost for a comparable saw that will fit in the existing building with out any modification.

Warren Clemans
04-21-2008, 7:50 PM
You mention having 220...but don't saws that big typically run on 3 phase power? Have you verified that you have the proper juice available?

Jim O'Dell
04-21-2008, 7:57 PM
One thought that hit me that hasn't been commented on, I don't think. Is it single phase or 3 phase? I'd think something that big might indeed be 3 phase, which would increase your expense.
I would think it would be easy enough to box in a cut out in the ceiling like you would a set of attic steps. Maybe add some more joist material to the outside edges to strengthen it if cutting more than one joist. But the comments about getting it set upright would be correct, I would think. It would have to be some type of hydraulic jack system with bracing so it wouldn't keep on going past the center point. :eek::eek::eek: Unless you're filming to send in to America's Funniest Videos. :D Jim.

Doug Shepard
04-21-2008, 8:45 PM
Plus if my math aint too rusty you need about 12 feet of celing clearance to swing an 8.5 ft saw in an arc to stand it upright.

Edited:
Yup - bad math. Assuming the saw is maybe 3.5 ft wide, you'd need about 9+ ft

Billy Dodd
04-21-2008, 8:46 PM
Cutting out the ceiling and putting in a cap over it isn't a problem. A come along and a pulley or block and tackle will go along way with setting it up by being anchored to an opposing wall. For 350 dollars (saw plus wheels) you'd have a saw you could resaw and not worry about the weight of the log knocking over the saw. It's nice having a heavy duty saw for large work and a smaller one to do every day cutting.

Rob Will
04-21-2008, 10:23 PM
If it is not 3-phase (or if you have 3-phase), buy the thing. You will love having a 36" saw.

A local hardware store makes blades for my Moak 36 (19'-8") for the sum of $29 each. For guides and other bandsaw accessories, check out Carter Products.

I would make a raised area in your ceiling to accept the saw.

And yes, it will probably weigh a lot more than 700 lbs. The Moak weighs about 2500 lbs. We hauled it standing up on a trailer, several hundred miles.

Rob

Eric Sayre
04-22-2008, 12:18 AM
Get it. The worst thing that could happen is that you would have to get rid of it. For 5-10 times as much as you paid for it.

Steven Hardy
04-22-2008, 1:51 AM
I have found a bandsaw that is pretty complete. Kinda big at 36".:eek: It's an American Saw Co. #345 Lightning. Its only 5 miles from me and the owner said he would sell it for what he has in it. Would you believe only $250. It needs new tires and blades have to be bought in 100' length then welded to fit. The tires are only about $50 each. The motor is intact too. I have 220. Big honkin table and a 12" cutting height. Its about 8 1/2' tall and won't fit in the garage with a 7 1/2" ceiling. I'm entertaining thoughts of a small building in the backyard. This could get expensive but this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for me.

Talk you out of it?????
You have a screw loose if YOU DONT get it for that price.
ps: drywall replacement cost for the garage ceiling bumpout maybe 10 bucks if you do it yourself???

Kevin Slankard
04-22-2008, 2:48 AM
The only pro's you've mentioned so far is that: It is cheap!!! Other than that everything else is a con, unless you truely have a need for something this big.

Steven Hardy
04-22-2008, 5:04 AM
The only pro's you've mentioned so far is that: It is cheap!!! Other than that everything else is a con, unless you truely have a need for something this big.

Yes, but notice that I bolded "opportunity of a lifetime in his post?"
Need? Sounds more to me as though he would get it because it's something he wants as opposed to "need and justification"etc

George Sanders
04-22-2008, 6:48 AM
I already have 2 bandsaws. One is a HF 14" which works ok. The other is a Gilliom manufacturing home built 18" with a 12" resaw capacity. I realize there is no way I am going to put a 36" 8 1/2' bandsaw in the garage. I have been entertaining the idea of a sawshed in the backyard with sliding doors. The saw is indeed 220 so I won't need a phase converter. I would only have to get a pole and run electric power about 50'. I know that I don't need this thing but I would still like to have it.
To make matters worse I found out the same guy has an American #1 16" tablesaw. I have seen these set up for straight line rip use only because the table; not the arbor, tilts. I already have enough power tools to do anything I want so I don't need that thing either. I just seem to have an addiction for old machinery.

Frank Drew
04-22-2008, 7:22 AM
George,

You might be able to get the material to replace the tires for $50 apiece, but do you plan to do the work yourself? Band saw tires can be a bear to install, and once on usually need to be crowned to track the band correctly. This might not be a DIY procedure unless you're very familiar with what's involved.

There might be a bit of confusion about the motor's winding; just because it's 220 that doesn't mean it's not 3-phase. Look at the motor plate closely.

Some of the big band saws are installed in a hole in the floor, a pit; really. Is this an option?

I guess I'm in the camp that says unless you need this much capacity, it might end up being more trouble than it's worth; I had a professional shop for over 25 years with some nice older equipment (Oliver, Northfield...), so I'm like you, I like the old heavy-duty stuff, but there's also such a thing as too big for your needs and situation.

Grady Cowardin
04-22-2008, 7:48 AM
A drywall saw is only about $3 ;)

John Thompson
04-22-2008, 9:49 AM
I have been watching this post go back and forth on coffee breaks from my shop. George... you've already answered your own question...

You don't need it but you like old machinery.. if you are dead set on picking up a piece of old iron that you really don't need and simply want a show-piece for whatever reason, for $250 do it as the price is right!

The cast iron is worth more than that and if the Navy ever pulls it's battle-ships out of mothball and comes up short an anchor... you've got em covered. :)

Regards...

Sarge..

Rob Diz
04-22-2008, 9:55 AM
I already have 2 bandsaws. One is a HF 14" which works ok. The other is a Gilliom manufacturing home built 18" with a 12" resaw capacity. I realize there is no way I am going to put a 36" 8 1/2' bandsaw in the garage. I have been entertaining the idea of a sawshed in the backyard with sliding doors. The saw is indeed 220 so I won't need a phase converter. I would only have to get a pole and run electric power about 50'. I know that I don't need this thing but I would still like to have it.
To make matters worse I found out the same guy has an American #1 16" tablesaw. I have seen these set up for straight line rip use only because the table; not the arbor, tilts. I already have enough power tools to do anything I want so I don't need that thing either. I just seem to have an addiction for old machinery.

Ok, so I see I have two ways to respond here:

1) George, you would be crazy not to get that BS, even if you have no where to put it. Heck, you could probably get your investment out of it simply by selling the CI for scrap. (that would be from tool enabler)
2) George, are you crazy. You have two bandsaws now that do everything you need right now. Is this seriously an upgrade or feeding your CI addition. I have always drawn the line at a tool purchase when it required me to pour a serious concrete foundation and build a new out building. Is this really the best use of your time/money (that would be from the addiction counselor)

And now from the middle ground - Do what makes you happy. A 36 inch BS with its own building would certainly be the envy of most WW.

Does that help?:rolleyes:

George Sanders
04-22-2008, 12:38 PM
I have decided against buying the bandsaw. I found out today that it is 3 phase. My only option would be to buy or build a place to put it. So, now I can spend the money on other more sensible things like new blades for my Parks planer.

Steven Hardy
04-23-2008, 12:11 AM
I have decided against buying the bandsaw. I found out today that it is 3 phase. My only option would be to buy or build a place to put it. So, now I can spend the money on other more sensible things like new blades for my Parks planer.

Hmmm, if it were me.....I would switch it to a diesel powered engine!!!
(Just kiddin!)

Brian Kent
04-23-2008, 8:56 AM
George, if you go to all that trouble for a dinky little 36 incher, you'll wish you had saved up and bought a bigger one:

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM1GEB

George Sanders
04-23-2008, 10:56 AM
I thought 36" was extravagant. Looks like I need to broaden my horizons!