PDA

View Full Version : 220 surge protector?

Jack Mincey
04-21-2008, 7:53 AM
I've been looking for a surge protector to use on my lathe. It is wired to a 25 amp breaker and is 220. Any info will be a great help.
Thanks,
Jack

Jim Mims
04-21-2008, 9:25 AM
Square D (among others) makes one, catalog number SDSA1175
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_hi?url=search-alias%3Dtools&field-keywords=SDSA1175&x=0&y=0
I would install this surge arrestor in your main panel for whole house protection.
I would also suggest contacting your power company, as most offer this as a service too, although I disagree with (at least my) power companies charging a monthly fee for this service.
- Jim

robert hainstock
04-21-2008, 9:34 AM
Jack, Since the center of the three way plug is nuetral or ground, the simplest fis would be two 110 v units across the 220 sides to ground. A surge protecter is a simle devise that effectivly shorts out at some voltage higher than 120. or 115 if you will you must ground the center wire, and it will measure 115 to either side. Hope this helps. SYlvania makes these as one of thier ECG series if replacement componets. they are a nickle sized disc with two wire sticking out. One to ground or nuetral, and one to each Hot wire. make sure if you go yjis route that power is off. :)
Bob