PDA

View Full Version : Black Water Stains on Oak

Ernie Kuhn
04-21-2008, 12:13 AM
Haven't posted in a while, too much work, not enough play.
Have a round 24" red oak plant table, with the inevitable black water stains. Whatever finish is on the old table is unknown. How do I get rid of the black water stains? Some look like rings, some are blotches.
I know I am in the right place as you guys are awesome.
Help
Thanks in advance,
Ernie

David DeCristoforo
04-21-2008, 2:11 AM
"Paint" it with a mild oxalic acid solution (from any paint store or most hardware stores) and the water stains will magically vanish before your eyes....

Howard Acheson
04-21-2008, 12:20 PM
Is the table finished? If so, you will have to first remove any existing finish. As said, then you can use oxalic acid to remove the black mineral stains. Then refinish. You can find oxalic acid at many paint stores. Marine stores also have it as "Teak Cleaner". Check the ingredient list.

In the future, use some sort of a barrier between the pot and the wood surface. Every finish will allow water and water vapor through to some extent.

Ernie Kuhn
04-21-2008, 9:51 PM
Thank you both. I knew I was in the right place.
As I said originally, you guys are awesome. Off to find some oxalic acid.

Thank you again for helping me impress SWMBO.
Ernie

David DeCristoforo
04-21-2008, 9:57 PM
BTW...FWIW oxalic acid will sometimes work "through" the finish, esp if it's older and maybe a bit worn and thin. Worth a try before resorting to stripping...

Mark Hultzapple
04-22-2008, 2:03 PM
Will the oxalic acid work on pet urine stains in oak hardwood floors?

Howard Acheson
04-22-2008, 3:39 PM
Will the oxalic acid work on pet urine stains in oak hardwood floors?

Sometimes. Most pet stores sell stuff that sometimes works too.

However, from what I hear, the most likely outcome is that you won't be able to remove the stains.