PDA

View Full Version : Swingset Question

Jason Christenson
04-21-2008, 12:09 AM
I debated about whether to post this here or in project finishing so if anyone with that kind of power feels it needs to be moved, please do so.

My parents are redoing their lawn and in the process my kids inherited their wooden swing set. It's structurally sound but pretty rough. I'm thinking about cleaning it up and putting some deck stain or something on it.

I have two questions: How much should I sand it (what grit should I use)? And what should I put on it in terms of finish.

Thanks.

Jason

Joe Chritz
04-21-2008, 6:39 AM
Sanding depends on what it is made of.

CCA lumber or other pressure treated should only be sanded with proper safety gear. I would just pressure wash it, scrub with TSP or deckwash and pressure wash again.

Other species should be sanded to what ever you are comfy with. 120 probably.

Anything you use outside will need work. There are a couple current threads on just that thing. I use a mid quality opaque deck stain and plan on redoing it every year or so.

Joe

Lee Schierer
04-21-2008, 11:17 AM
Use Soy Guard for your weather proofing. It is mostly made from soy beans and is available in a variety of colors if you don't want the clear.

Jason Christenson
04-21-2008, 1:06 PM
Use Soy Guard for your weather proofing. It is mostly made from soy beans and is available in a variety of colors if you don't want the clear.

That sounds good, where is it available? Please say Menard's... Please say Menard's...

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-21-2008, 1:57 PM
Sand it using anything that will give you the finish you want.
Finish it with a two component catalyzing urethane rated for out door use. This will make sure it never splinters up and seal it against everything for another 30 or so years.
Epoxy Systems has some really nice urethanes.

I put their urethane on my impossible-to-finish spruce deck and the stuff doesn't come off like the best paints did. I can use a heavy duty power washer on it and the finish doesn't come off. And no splinters on the 15 year old super weathered PT spruce.

Jason Christenson
04-21-2008, 7:30 PM
...two component catalyzing urethane rated for out door use...

Can you recommend something specific?

Jason