PDA

View Full Version : Thermark coverage per can

Douglas Repetto
04-20-2008, 11:41 PM
Hello,

I need to engrave seven 16" x 24" aluminum sheets. It seems like Thermark is the way to go with soft aluminum. I'm wondering what the coverage is on the 6oz spray cans v. the jars. Does it make sense to try to do it with several cans, or should I go the more complex but economical route of buying the paste and trying to dilute/spray it...

Thanks for any advice.

douglas

Pete Simmons
04-21-2008, 7:50 AM
TherMark, Spray Can 6 oz (http://www.jorlink.com/products/657)- Black (Covers Approx. 800 Square Inches)
(United StatesGround Shipment ONLY for Spray Cans due to D.O.T. Federal Regulations, We can NOT ship small order of Spray cans internationally, larger orders will be considered)

Douglas Repetto
04-21-2008, 11:04 AM
Thanks, that info wasn't listed on the website I was looking at.

There's no coverage info for the Thermark paste, but it is listed for other 250g Cermark products, and I assume the coverage will be about the same. So it looks like it'll make more sense to get 250g of the paste rather than 7 cans of the spray.

Thanks!

douglas

Brian Robison
04-21-2008, 3:15 PM
Douglas, you'll be fine. One can should do.
Jorlink is a good vender BTW.

James Stokes
04-21-2008, 4:22 PM
I find the paste is extremally hard to spray.

Douglas Repetto
04-21-2008, 5:02 PM
Can I dilute it and brush it on? Or is spraying required to get complete coverage? I have a basic airbrush setup, but from what I understand the paste is pretty gritty, not sure if I have what's needed to spray it...

James Stokes
04-21-2008, 5:56 PM
It is very gritty, With a regular airbrush I have not had any luck at all. I tried to use an HVLP sprayer it worked better but not a lot. You are better off buying premix cans.

George Elston
04-21-2008, 6:03 PM
I spray the paste all the time, just cut it with a solvent, DNA or I use acetone about 30 to 1, or a pea sized ball of paste to half an air brush bottle of solvent, shake like crazy and spray, not too much, less is more with cermark. It seems like a coating 1 grain thick is the best.

Dee Gallo
04-21-2008, 6:19 PM
George, I was just thinking about buying some paste. Do you use a #3 or #5 tip on your airbrush or is that not necessary if you thin it enough? I'd hate to buy an aerosol if I can avoid it.

Thanks, dee

James Stokes
04-21-2008, 7:01 PM
George, Are you talking Cermark or Thermark?

George Elston
04-22-2008, 12:26 PM
Yes CerMark, and the airbrush is just a Badger model 250, that I got a the local craft store, Michaels I think. It really works great, the trick is to thin it to nothing. Like I said less is more, the hardest part was training myself not to put on more, the proper coverage is just so it dulls the surface, more does not help, it actually seems to hurt, with a 35Wt laser a thick coat will bond to the powder under it and wash off.

Sean Weir
04-22-2008, 1:38 PM
Hello Douglas/Dee,

If you are using a Paasche airbrush we recommend a #5 tip. The Badger 250 is also a great brush, we have many customers using this one. Since our materials are somewhat coarse you will need a large tip diameter. The tip on the Badger is about 1.0mm and the #5 tip on the Paasche is around the same size. You may experience clogging issues if you use smaller diameter tips.

The Thermark can does indeed give a coverage of about 800 sq. in. If you were to buy paste, you'll get at least 1200 sq in. of coverage from 100g, which is about the amount in the can. Using the paste with an airbrush is much more efficient because you'll be minimizing the amount of wasted overspray.

Hope this info helps, if you need anything else please feel free to contact me.

Regards,

Sean

Dee Gallo
04-22-2008, 2:26 PM
Thanks, Sean, I do have a Paasche which I can put a #5 tip on, so that sounds like the way to go.

Douglas Repetto
04-22-2008, 3:02 PM
I'm using Thermark, since I understand it works better on soft aluminum. Are the spraying properties different?

Brian Robison
04-22-2008, 3:09 PM
IMHO, by the time you mix up the paste, get out your air brush, fire up the compressor, fiddle with the correct tip, adjust the regulator, adjust the spray, you could be done with the job.If your doing hundreds of parts that one thing, for seven I'd just use the spray can. I've tried all the ways and for small jobs it's hard to beat picking up a can, spraying and running the job, unless of course your just doing this for fun and time means nothing.

Douglas, what wattage is your laser?

Douglas Repetto
04-22-2008, 3:33 PM
Brian,

I've already ordered the paste...so we'll see how it goes. It does sound like a lot of work...

The laser is from Brightstar, it's not set up yet, so nothing to report. So far it looks good and seems well-made. It's a 60watt CO2 tube. Setup is Thursday!

douglas

Brian Robison
04-22-2008, 3:42 PM
Let us know how it goes. I've got 3 stainless pistol magazines to do today, probably take 5 minutes total time using the spray can.

Bill Cunningham
04-22-2008, 9:13 PM
Let us know how it goes. I've got 3 stainless pistol magazines to do today, probably take 5 minutes total time using the spray can.

What do you mark on the Mags Brian? The owners name? I have 6 or 8 for my Para, but didn't want to put my name on them, because it makes them less saleable.. And graphics seem lost because in the mag pouch you can't see them, and in the pistol you can't see them? Just curious!
Thought about putting a couple of nice dragons down the slide though!:D

Douglas Repetto
04-22-2008, 9:59 PM
Hello Douglas/Dee,

If you are using a Paasche airbrush we recommend a #5 tip. The Badger 250 is also a great brush, we have many customers using this one. Since our materials are somewhat coarse you will need a large tip diameter. The tip on the Badger is about 1.0mm and the #5 tip on the Paasche is around the same size. You may experience clogging issues if you use smaller diameter tips.

Sean,

I have an Iwata Eclipse airbrush with a 0.5mm tip. I don't think they make a larger tip for that model. Is thinning the paste and using a paintbrush to apply it an option? Any other suggestions?

Thank you,
douglas

Brian Robison
04-23-2008, 7:16 AM
Bill, a customer just wanted them numbered.He also had me laser COP on them.I guess so he knew what one was full and what one was empty.