PDA

View Full Version : Favorite laminate for shop projects?

Phil Thien
04-20-2008, 10:38 PM
I'm going to be doing a new top for my router table and a couple of other shop projects. I will be ordering a full (4x8) sheet of laminate from Lowes (where I have a $10 coupon).

The router table I'm using now has Formica brand on it but it is kinda dark and busy. From time to time I'd like to add a pencil mark for alignment and I always have to use masking tape (which often comes off as soon as I run some wood over it).

I've been researching this a little and some people have said to use a textured top as things slide better. Other people have said smooth glossy is better (that is what I've got now).

So, anyone have a favorite Formica or Wilsonart laminate (color and finish) for shop projects?

Greg Hines, MD
04-20-2008, 10:46 PM
Mine has a top made of melamine reinforced with plywood underneath. It is white, and plenty slick. It also takes pencil marks well, both marking and erasing. My fence faces are made of the same, for the same reasons.

Doc

Tom Veatch
04-20-2008, 10:49 PM
I picked up a couple of sheets of laminate from a local lumber store a few days ago. It was either leftover from some job or a special order that was abandoned so it was inexpensive - $25 for two full sheets. Don't know the brand, but is is a neutral grey color - a little darker than the cast iron top on my table saw, and would show pencil marks quite well. It has a directional texture almost like superfine longitudinal grooves in the surface. I used it for the top of an outfeed table with the pattern aligned with the feed direction. I like it, both color and texture. Wish I'd had it when I covered my miter station and router table. Will use it for the tops on a planned assembly table and mobile utility cart.

Jason Beam
04-20-2008, 10:49 PM
White, no texture. Nothing better - i can mark it and it cleans up, plus it reflects a good amount of light so I can see what i'm doin. Wax it like it's a table saw and it'll slide smoother'n anything. :)

Dale Lesak
04-20-2008, 11:09 PM
My Lowe's carries laminate in stock. X sheets, 31.99 a sheet. I use the matt finish, white. you can write on it and make reference marks on it and it'll wipe clean when done. Do coat it with wax so the glue and pain splatters don't stick. The matt won't show glare like the gloss did. had that on some benches and didn't like it. Dale :)

Phil Thien
04-20-2008, 11:17 PM
Wow, this is great news. I checked my local Lowes and they apparently DO stock white. So that sure makes it easy!

Josiah Bartlett
04-21-2008, 3:57 AM
I have a melamine extension table I built on my Unisaw, with a router insert plate. I made the mistake of routing a miter gauge slot into it. It wore out in a hurry. It slides nice though.

Jim Becker
04-21-2008, 6:27 AM
All laminate I've used in the shop has been "ivory" which matched the Jet equipment I originally was using.

Joe Chritz
04-21-2008, 6:32 AM
Whatever is left over from the last project.

If I had to purchase I would get the cheapest one available off the rack with no texture. Often you can get ones with small damages at a reduced rate.

Joe

Dell Littlefield
04-21-2008, 8:46 AM
I went to my local kitchen cabinet shop and got all I needed for my router table for the best price ever------FREE!