PDA

View Full Version : Pen Exchange Match-up

Greg Just
04-20-2008, 8:49 PM
Here are the match-ups for the Pen Exchange. I had my son pick the names from a bag tonight. Hopefully I did not miss anyone. There were 41 interested in the exchange so to make things work out evenly, I will trade twice (seeing I started this thing). I would contact your partner and work out a plan as to a schedule. Hopefully everyone will be done by the end of May. I would encourage you to post pictures of your pens so we all can see how creative we can be. If for some reason you cannot complete your pen, let me know and I will try to match you to someone else. Good luck and enjoy.

1 Greg Just 16 Belton Garvin
2 Nancy Laird 39 Tom Hamilton
3 Greg Cuetara 13 David Wilhelm
4 Michael Gallagher 35 Steve Campbell
5 Jon Lanier 37 Mack Cameron
6 Skip Mcpherson 33 Dan Allemand
7 Ben Gasfriend 32 Raymond Overman
8 Brian McInturff 27 Chris Stolicky
9 Benjamin Dahl 12 Dennis Kranz
10 Tom Sherman 22 Jeff Taylor
11 Earl Reid 29 Phil St. Germain
14 Andy Hoyt 25 George Heatherly
15 Rich Souchek 17 John Taylor
18 Brandon Grasley 34 Brad Knight
19 Tom Wakeley 21 Bill Noce
20 Troy Cleckler 36 Jeff Hooper
41 Tim Brooks 1 Greg Just
23 Daniel Heine 30 Rich Stewart
24 Russ Peters 26 Jerry Sambrook
28 Rasmus Petersen 31 Greg Deemer
38 Horst Hohoff 40 Nathan Camp

Jon Lanier
04-20-2008, 10:03 PM
Thanks Greg for putting this together!

michael gallagher
04-20-2008, 11:20 PM
Thanks to Greg for organizing this - it should be fun (now to go buy a half dozen of XYZ pen kit to control the screwups)!

Michael

Ben Gastfriend
04-21-2008, 6:53 AM
This is a great idea, Greg! Thanks so much! And I got Raymond! Sweet! :D

Bill Noce
04-21-2008, 11:36 PM
Greg,

Great job of putting this together....let the fun began.

Bill

Rick Gibson
04-22-2008, 8:14 PM
Been busy and haven't been able to check in much lately so I missed this. I would have been in. Just recently had an exchange on penturners paradise and the draw went a little different. First name drawn sent a pen to the second name who sent one to the third name and so on, the last name drawn sent one to the first name. That way no worries about having an even number of people. Just for a little suspense we sent our shipping addresses to the person drawing the names and he pm'd the people so you knew who you were sending one to but not who was sending to you.

Raymond Overman
04-22-2008, 10:27 PM
This is a great idea, Greg! Thanks so much! And I got Raymond! Sweet! :D

I don't know if it's going to be so sweet for you Ben. I've just destroyed one kit in trying to prototype the pen I'm going to be sending.

I'll be heading back to the drawing board to solve a few problems and then back to the lab to put this Frankenstein's Monster of a pen together. Hopefully the lightning will strike right tomorrow night.

FYI for all you other participants, Ben and I exchanged a few PMs and decided that we would work with a 7MM kit and stretch it to it's limits. It should make for an interesting twist on the exchange, no pun intended. Well, maybe a little.

Thanks for organizing Greg. This is going to be fun.

michael gallagher
04-22-2008, 10:52 PM
Rick-

I saw the pen you posted on the Penturner's Paradise board - you do very nice work!

Jon Lanier
04-22-2008, 10:53 PM
I've got my design all in my mind. Now if I could ever execute it... wait a minute that might be exactly what I'll do to the kit, execute it. :o

dennis kranz
04-23-2008, 11:45 AM
Sorry Benjamin but first attempt blew up. Question for all of you. Does a pile of sawdust and a kit count as a pen? Guess I'll have to try again.
Dennis

Raymond Overman
04-23-2008, 12:03 PM
Sorry Benjamin but first attempt blew up. Question for all of you. Does a pile of sawdust and a kit count as a pen? Guess I'll have to try again.
Dennis

It all depends on how well you work with CA glue or resin Dennis. :eek:

David Wilhelm
04-23-2008, 5:26 PM
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm what you boyzzzzz cookin up????????????

Mack Cameron
04-25-2008, 5:05 AM
I've got my design all in my mind. Now if I could ever execute it... wait a minute that might be exactly what I'll do to the kit, execute it. :oTalk like this makes me worry!

Greg Just
04-26-2008, 1:54 PM
A couple of prototypes - one is acutally a pencil kit made with maple and purple heart. The pen is walnut and maple. Not thrilled with either one.

Jon Lanier
04-26-2008, 2:53 PM
A couple of prototypes - one is acutally a pencil kit made with maple and purple heart. The pen is walnut and maple. Not thrilled with either one.

I think you got something good going their. The swirl stripes a bit thick?

-Jon

Greg Just
04-26-2008, 4:01 PM
I think you got something good going their. The swirl stripes a bit thick?

-Jon

Jon - I agree. I used a couple of cheap Slim-line kits so my prototypes didn't cost too much. I know someone will like them as gift.

Greg

Dan Allemand
04-29-2008, 1:46 AM
Talk about a long distance.. Skip just PM'D me.. He is in Maine.. 25 minutes from the Atlantic ocean.. I am in CA, 25 minutes from the Pacific ocean.:eek:

Rasmus Petersen
04-29-2008, 2:00 AM
Talk about a long distance.. Skip just PM'D me.. He is in Maine.. 25 minutes from the Atlantic ocean.. I am in CA, 25 minutes from the Pacific ocean.:eek:

Well im in Denmark and greg is somewhere in the US...

Nathan Camp
04-30-2008, 7:06 PM
I'm in Georgia and Horst is in Germany.

It will be fine if I can get home and finish the pen:rolleyes:.

nathan

Russ Peters
05-02-2008, 10:43 AM
I was teamed up with Jerry Sambrook (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/search.php?do=finduser&u=20792) for this exchange and by far he got the short end of the stick. The one on the left is 100+ year old oak. On the right is Spanish Ceder. Also included in the box was 14 or so blanks. I am trying to resize the photo of them. Thank you so much Jerry, as soon as this graduation stuff is done I will complete you pen/s and get them in the mail to you.

michael gallagher
05-02-2008, 11:13 PM
Here is what I received today from Steve Campbell in Wisconsin: purple heart bottom, walnut top with maple inlays that were burnt on the edges that really accents the edging well - my photography leaves a lot to be desired, but this is a really nice pen with a good feel and excellent finish. Steve obviously exaggerates as he PM'd me when this started as saying he is a beginning pen turner, and this was his first attempt at something other than a slimline.

Steve sent his pen to me in a flat-rate priority mail box. As an added bonus and to fill it up with something other than newspaper / cushioned padding, he sent me some samples of wood native to his neck of the woods - some walnut, cherry, and maple. Wow, that was a great bonus!

I, for one, am heading back to the workshop in a few minutes to "try again" vs. what I was originally going to send Steve. Wish me luck....

Greg, thanks again for organizing this exchange; I'm having a lot of fun!

Michael
Just outside of Houston, looking for the CA glue

Greg Just
05-05-2008, 10:02 PM
How is everyone doing on their pens? I mailed my first one off to Tim this morning and I hope to get to Belton's later in the week. Is anyone not able to complete their pen? I had some ask the other day if they could join in. My reply was that only if someone couldn't finish - Let me know and I'll see it I can get you a replacement. I don't want anyone to be disappointed.

Happy turning! :D

Greg

Jon Lanier
05-05-2008, 11:42 PM
How is everyone doing on their pens? I mailed my first one off to Tim this morning and I hope to get to Belton's later in the week. Is anyone not able to complete their pen? I had some ask the other day if they could join in. My reply was that only if someone couldn't finish - Let me know and I'll see it I can get you a replacement. I don't want anyone to be disappointed.

Greg

Mack and I decided to send each other's pen at the same time... and we are looking at more at the end of the month.

Raymond Overman
05-06-2008, 9:19 PM
So, is against the rules to post a picture before you send? Or does Ben have to wait to see what he's getting until it gets there? :rolleyes:

I finished up my pen for the exchange and it's going out as soon as I get by the post office.

I really want to post a picture...:p

Greg Just
05-06-2008, 9:21 PM
So, is against the rules to post a picture before you send? Or does Ben have to wait to see what he's getting until it gets there? :rolleyes:

I finished up my pen for the exchange and it's going out as soon as I get by the post office.

I really want to post a picture...:p

Ray:

Do what ever you want - there is no rule, but Ben might want to be surprised.

Dan Allemand
05-07-2008, 2:01 PM
I feel like crap cause of the post office. A couple of days before I sent my pen to Skip.. I was at the post office sending a bunch of blanks.. Some corian and some wood..What I have done for the last few months was stuff the small priority rate box full.. Then stuff it in the flat rate envelope.. I take it to the post office and they charge me $4.60 everytime.. No matter what the weight was. So I asked the lady could I buy the $4.60 stamps.. She pointed me to a machine that you put your credit card in and I bought 5 of the $4.60 stamps.. I filled skips box with blanks and then the pen. I was home on saturday.. I put the stamp on it and handed it to the mail man has he came by our house.. He took it.. Skip gets a note from the post office that $5.65 is owed on the package.. I fill bad about this.. Plus mad at the post office...

Nathan Camp
05-07-2008, 2:16 PM

Greg
I've been out of town too much, but the last coating of finish is drying on the pen now. I'll get it out to Horst on Friday.

Nathan

Dennis Peacock
05-07-2008, 10:06 PM
Best wishes to each of you. Looks like y'all are having way too much fun. :D

Greg Just
05-08-2008, 9:52 PM
Today I received the pen that Tim Brooks made for me. It is spalted water oak burl and it is beautiful. The picture doesn't really show the beauty of the wood.

The pen that I sent to Tim is also pictured here. It is from some quilted maple that I highlighted with a cherry stain to really bring out the grain in the wood. I have another pen to make - better get busy! :D

Tim Brooks
05-08-2008, 10:13 PM
Today I received the pen that Tim Brooks made for me. It is spalted water oak burl and it is beautiful. The picture doesn't really show the beauty of the wood.

The pen that I sent to Tim is also pictured here. It is from some quilted maple that I highlighted with a cherry stain to really bring out the grain in the wood. I have another pen to make - better get busy! :D

Greg,

Again, thank you so much for the efforts you put in the pen you sent me. It will be displayed proudly in my office.

Thanks!

Belton Garvin
05-19-2008, 9:20 PM
Received my pen from Greg this past week. Sorry it took me so long to get the pics posted. Absolutely beautiful pen. It is an Americana and is made from Purple Heart. I hope the pics post correctly. I hope to finish my pen for him this week.

Jon Lanier
05-19-2008, 11:25 PM
I've been fortunate to get two trading partners. Got my first one over the weekend from Joe Melton. It is a two tone wood, but I don't know what it is? He was also kind enough to send a blank of the same material.

The pen is really cool, it is a custom modification with no center band. Thanks Joe! I'll post a picture of the pen I did for him after he gets it. It is currently in the hands of the USPS.

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/5173/joemeltonpenia3.jpg

Bill Noce
05-23-2008, 3:09 PM
My exchange pen which will be going out to Tom Wakeley this weekend. Its a Cocobolo Rollerball/brushed gold.

Bill Noce

Andy Hoyt
05-26-2008, 11:14 AM
An open apology to George Heatherly:

George - Your pen arrived Saturday. Wow! It's gorgeous, thank you! The fit and finish on this thing is spot on. This was also the first time I'd ever hefted a cigar pen and I can now see why everyone raves over them.

The beast I began for you quickly came to a grinding halt on Friday when I discovered the four rollerball kits I knew I had were lacking both tubes and nibs. I then recalled the day a few years ago when I said I'd never turn another one of these things and scavenged the kits for some ornaments I was making. Sigh.

The upside is that I immediately ordered some cigar kits from Packards and when they arrive (hopefully Wednesday) I'll be on it like stink on stuff.

Thanks from your slacker procrastinator "pen pal" - Andy

Nathan Camp
05-26-2008, 1:03 PM
Andy,

You are better off than I am. I had a pen turned and ready to ship and realised that I had turned it upside down. It was a European, so that actually mattered. I'm putting the final coats on the replacement today.

I've turned 40 or 50 of these things, you would think I would know better by now.

I should be able to get this thing off to Horst this week. I believe that is the third time I've said that, but I actually mean it.

Nathan

Nancy Laird
05-26-2008, 1:38 PM
Tom and I did our swap -- I got my pen (and pencil, and blanks, and a small cherry bowl) week before last, and I got Tom's pen (and other goodies) off to him last Monday--he got it and I think he's pleased. I forgot to take a picture of the pen and stuff I sent to Tom, so I'll have to rely on him to post a picture, if he wishes. My camera is in Minnesota right now, so no pics---but it DID happen. Thanks again, Tom.

Andy Hoyt
05-31-2008, 5:24 PM
..... Hopefully everyone will be done by the end of May.

Phew. Just made it. Here ya go George.

That's George's Rosewood pen on the right and my Long Leaf Pine pen on the left. Only wrecked three sets of tubes - I'm on a roll. :eek:

It's wood with provenance, George. Really really old provenance. Even older than Clabo, Fitzgerald, and Schlumpf combined.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-31-2008, 9:54 PM
Based on the pens I'm seeing here, I have a lot of skill to work on. Stupendous pens everyone!

Steve Campbell
06-01-2008, 11:34 AM
Look at what showed up yesterday. Micheal Gallagher and I exchanged pens. I sure did come out on the best part of this deal.
It is a cigar pen made out of Bethlehem Olive wood. I can assure you it looks much better in person than it does from my cheapy camera. I love it.
To even sweeten the deal even more He included The chunk of Texas Mesquite that the pen is sitting on. I have never had a chance to turn Mesquite before and look forward to turning a nice bowl with it.

Thanks again Michael. Steve

Greg Just
06-02-2008, 9:14 PM
Below is the pen that Belton sent to me. It is really beautiful. He also included a coin from his Command. Thanks for the pen!

Belton Garvin
06-03-2008, 6:51 PM
I know we should have more pens out there!:eek: The first post showed 41 people, and Greg was in there twice. There are less than 15 pictures posted.:confused: Lets see some more of those pens, don't be bashful.

This is my first pen exchange and I really enjoyed it. Thanks Greg for putting this together.:)

Jon Lanier
06-03-2008, 11:31 PM
I got a pen from Mack Cameron up in Toronto. Very pretty, Atlas/Polaris/Patriot with Curly Bubinga. Thanks Mack!

http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/2615/mackcameronatlasxy6.jpg

I can't put the pic of mine I did for him until he gets it. We agreed on that, which should be soon, I sent it out last week.

Rasmus Petersen
06-04-2008, 1:01 AM
we are getting there :-) Just pmīd with Greg have had little time to turn, and so have i, but we are getting there...

Bill Noce
06-04-2008, 10:27 AM
I recieved my Pen Exchange the other day from Tom Wakeley an to my surprize there wass two beautiful chery burl Euro Pens. One was nature color and the other was dyed, both were different in that thebottom was not the normal thin style but were fatter which gave them a better feel when writing with them. Thank you so very much Tom. I will try to get a picture of them posted but I am busy getting ready for a four day vacation but I should be able to get them posted before I leave.....I think I have lost one to the wife who just loves cherry burl.......Thanks again Tom for the beautiful pens.

Tom Hamilton
06-04-2008, 11:20 AM
Hi Pen Exchangers:

Nancy Laird posted above about our partnership and what fun it was. My first pen exchange and I confess to being more than nervous about sending off "my work" to Nancy. We learned we share the same birthday, Dec 12, and that we both like Santa Fe, though she can get their far easier that I can.

I opened Nancy's package to find a lovely note on her gold monogrammed note cards expressing how much fun this was and thanking me for my gift. Digging deeper into the box revealed:

A collection of 90047 pen blanks that will keep me busy for some time.

The next layer revealed a monogramed presentation box:

which when opened lifted this beautiful pen

right into my hand. It fits and has not left my side since it arrived.

Nancy, thank you so much for lovely pen, blanks and note.

And to Greg for getting this started!

Best regards, Tom, in Houston, wishing his penmanship equaled the quality of the instrument Nancy made.

Nathan Camp
06-09-2008, 10:32 AM
I received my pen for Horst today as well and a blank. Absolutely beautiful. Made out of European Boxwood.

I'll post a pic when I get home.

Nathan

Nathan Camp
06-10-2008, 11:53 PM
Here is the picture I promised. From Horst in Germany.

nathan

Greg Cuetara
06-13-2008, 11:12 PM
Well due to many different reasons I finally got my pen done and sent out to David Wilhelm today. I am sorry that it took this long but it is on its way right now.

I look forward to seeing the rest of the pens out there. Take pictures and please post away.

Greg

Ben Gastfriend
06-18-2008, 1:38 PM
Just recieved my pen- an atlas shaped pen made out of a slimline kit- and a very nice threaded box- from Raymond! Thank you so much. I'll post a picture when I can get to the camera.

Greg Just
06-25-2008, 7:11 PM
Has everyone exchanged pens? :D

Nancy Laird
06-25-2008, 8:12 PM
Yes, Tom and I have exchanged our pens.

Daniel Heine
06-25-2008, 9:49 PM
Hello,

This is the pen I will be sending to Rich Stewart Saturday morning. It is a Jr. Gentleman II pen, the blank came from Karl Kuehn at penturners.org. I hope Rich likes it!!!

Dan

Mack Cameron
06-26-2008, 6:18 AM
Has everyone exchanged pens? :DHi Greg; Sorry to say, mine hasn't arrived as yet, but I do know that it has been sent.

Rasmus Petersen
06-26-2008, 6:58 AM
nope not yet... havent heard from greg for a while...

Raymond Overman
06-26-2008, 2:00 PM
I did receive my pen from Ben and a small box with a finial. I haven't had time to get and post a picture of it but will soon for the record.

Here's a picture of what I sent to Ben so he doesn't have to worry about taking one on his end.

Jon Lanier
06-26-2008, 9:35 PM
Hi Greg; Sorry to say, mine hasn't arrived as yet, but I do know that it has been sent.

Mack,

I don't understand why you have not received the pen yet? I sent it 3-4 weeks ago.

If anyone has seen this pen, please send it to Mack:

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/7347/walnutburljrgentiion7.jpg

If you don't get it soon, I'm going to make you another one.

-Jon

Mack Cameron
06-27-2008, 6:48 PM
Mack,

I don't understand why you have not received the pen yet? I sent it 3-4 weeks ago.

[quote]If anyone has seen this pen, please send it to Mack Hi Jon et all; This beauty arrived in this afternoon's mail. Canada Post Border Patrol took the liberty of opening the parcel prior to sending it on to me. It was a rather suspicious looking box, wrapped in brown paper, with some rattling coming from it's innards. It's just spare pen blanks guys!

If you don't get it soon, I'm going to make you another one.There's only one thing better than one of those beauties, that's two of them. Hopefully on the next exchange I'll get Jon again to get a mate to this one.

It's been so much fun, and the long wait was well worth it.

Rich Stewart
07-05-2008, 9:37 AM
I just received the pen Dan Heine made for me. Unbelievable. I have never seen a blank like this. Stunning! Thank you very much Dan. The pictures really don't do it justice. Very much better looking in person. I hope he will post the details on where he got this fabulous blank. The craftsmanship is superb. He also mentioned he turned this without a mandrell. Maybe we could convince him to give some details as to that process.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-05-2008, 9:44 AM
Rich...Congrats that's a beauty!

Folks,

I didn't get involved in this exchange as my shop was and is in disarray. I am turning again, however. I just started yesterday.

I'd really like to thank Greg Just for coming up with the idea and handling the whole banana by himself.

Greg you did a fantastic job and the results are shown in the photos in this thread! Thanks again!

Daniel Heine
07-07-2008, 10:05 AM
To answer Rich's questions, the pen blank is a half rotted peice of spalted wood that is stabilized with colored PR. The result is a blank that is half wood, and half colored resin. It makes for some very unique designs. I bought the blank from a gentleman on penturners.org.

To turn these without a mandrel (B2B or bushing to bushing), I put a 60 degree dead center in the headstock, and a 60 degree live center in the tail stock. Bring them in snug to the buchings, and turn away. No out of round pens. The downside is, you need ti turn each half of the pen seperately. Not a problem for me.

Rich, I'm glad you like it, try the B2B method sometime.

Thanks for the kind words,
Dan Heine

David Wilhelm
07-07-2008, 1:36 PM
Here is my pen to Greg Cuetara. I wasn't sure what I would do but I wanted to share something with Greg. He had told me that he was in a way new to pen turning and like me only turned slime line pens. Remembering the comments and ideas from the start of this great idea I went to work. I've never turned a corn cob pen so I started reading up on the blanks It seemed everywhere I turned I read 8mm. I went through my corn crib and my neighbors and was able to come up with enough cobs from years ago when we raised corn to feed the cows we all raised. The squirrels were nice and had cleaned off all the corn as well. I was able to come up with several that were small enough to get the job done and feel blessed to have been able to share a small portion of some home grown Iredell County farm life. Grampa would be proud. The cob would have been DeKalb, soaked with thin CA, turned and rubbed with BLO. sanded to 800 then a CA finish. Thanks to Steve for help with the picture.

John Taylor
07-08-2008, 8:10 AM
Recieved my pen from Rich the other day and wow it is beutiful

This is the one I sent to Rich, Bog Oak slimline.

I think I got the better deal.

Thanks Rich.

john

Daniel Heine
07-15-2008, 9:44 AM
I got my pen exchange from Rich Stewart yesterday. Oops, I mean pen and pencil set. A VERY nice power pen and pencil done in Mesquite. Gourgous set that I will treasure for many years. MY son is on vacation with my camera, so I do not have pictures yet, but will poist them when he returns. A really well made, set of pen and pencil. This has been a really great experienjce with the pen swap.

Thanks,
Dan Heine

Greg Just
07-15-2008, 5:03 PM
Rich...Congrats that's a beauty!

Folks,

I didn't get involved in this exchange as my shop was and is in disarray. I am turning again, however. I just started yesterday.

I'd really like to thank Greg Just for coming up with the idea and handling the whole banana by himself.

Greg you did a fantastic job and the results are shown in the photos in this thread! Thanks again!

Ken it was my pleasure to suggest this exchange and I think it was a success. I have been away for a couple of weeks otherwise I would have responded sooner. A suggestion for a future exchange might be a bottle stopper. What do you think?

Greg Cuetara
07-16-2008, 3:19 PM
Here is the segmented pen which I sent down to David Wilhelm. Finally getting around to posting a picture, I know it is not a great picture but all I have since David now has the pen. Thanks Greg for setting this up.

Jerry Sambrook
07-26-2008, 8:15 PM
I received this from Russ Peters a while ago.
I apologize for the delay is getting the pics posted.
Thanks Russ, the Patriot pen stays at work.
Jerry