PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Buffs - opinions wanted

Fred Conte
04-20-2008, 5:29 PM
I'm thinking of using the following buffs for bowl finishing, both will be 3.5" and will order three of each.

Has anyone tried these? Comments or thoughts welcome...thanks!

For the sides/curved surfaces:

http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/mush_buff.htm

For the inside bottom:

http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/facer.htm

Also I got this motor today at a local flea market -$20. I turned the extension 8" x 1.25" to fit the shaft. In another post I was going to make a 3 on 1 but from my readings here decided to go the one at a time route. The motor specs are 3450 rpm @3/4 hp, it can be wired 120 or 220 vac and cw or ccw.

Thanks for your comments/thoughts!:)

Fred

Allen Neighbors
04-20-2008, 5:52 PM
Whooo-eee! I don't know anything about those particular buffs, 'cause all mine are handmade, but I sure do like the looks of that motor!! You'll love that long shaft!!
Excellent job!
Just a thought... at 3450 rpm you'll not want to put too much pressure on the piece. Mine turns 1725, and if I'm not careful, I can melt through a finish.
Another thought... I put a piece of plumbing insulating foam on my shaft, and wrapped it with duct tape, so I could just grab it with my hand and stop it, rather than waiting for it to spin down to change buffers.

Fred Conte
04-20-2008, 6:10 PM
Whooo-eee! I don't know anything about those particular buffs, 'cause all mine are handmade, but I sure do like the looks of that motor!! You'll love that long shaft!!
Excellent job!
Just a thought... at 3450 rpm you'll not want to put too much pressure on the piece. Mine turns 1725, and if I'm not careful, I can melt through a finish.
Another thought... I put a piece of plumbing insulating foam on my shaft, and wrapped it with duct tape, so I could just grab it with my hand and stop it, rather than waiting for it to spin down to change buffers.

Allen

Thanks for the foam tip - great idea!:cool:

Yes I will be careful with the pressure vs speed issue...thanks again!:)