PDA

View Full Version : Danish oil

Dan Williams
04-20-2008, 4:35 PM
Sorry for all the questions but, I learn alot from posting here.

Is Danish oil food safe when cured ? How long do you need to wait befor buffing ?

What do you all use for finish on turnings ment for food use ?

Dan Williams
04-20-2008, 5:12 PM
Sorry I basicly already asked this question

Bernie Weishapl
04-20-2008, 7:25 PM
Dan I use Minwax Antique Oil and wait at least a week to buff. Ernie Conover told me that he lets his stuff sit for about 30 days before using. He says if you sniff it and it still smells it is not cured. Another one I really like is General Finishes Seal-A-Cell and then Arm-R-Seal. I have some plates and salad bowls I did with this for a little over a year now and they still look good. We use them the plates almost every day and the salad bowls at least twice a week. Again I did let these also set for about 30 days.

RL Johnson
04-20-2008, 9:15 PM
Box Flexner in the Spring 2008 issue of the American Woodworker magazine stated that all clear finishes are safe to use on objects that come in contact with food. The key thing is the finish must be cured. The sniff test is the best, if you can still smell the finish it is not cured and should not be used in contact with food. You might wisho to read Bob's article it is well written and documented.

Bernie Weishapl
04-20-2008, 11:30 PM
Randy that was a great article.