PDA

View Full Version : 5HP Sawstop vs 3HP Sawstop

Mac Cambra
04-20-2008, 3:57 PM
Not the usual question of whether or not I really need 5HP or if a 3HP will meet most if all of my needs.

I went to Woodcraft today to take a close look at the Sawstop, I am starting to get itchy and am close to pulling the trigger (pre-gloat - call it tool foreplay :D). At any rate while talking to the store owner I was asking about lead times on delivery etc., and mentioned that I would like to get a 5HP. The store owner indicated that the 5HP would be more dangerous than the 3HP indicating that kickbacks would be more violent then in the same breathe he said that the 5HP would not be stalled and would cut through anything.

I guess my question is if the saw will cut through anything would kickback risk be lessened? Is there increased risk to the operator with 5HP?

I figured I might as well get the higher powered saw, rather have too much power than not enough even if the 3HP would likely satisfy any need I would have.

Anyway what's the verdict for those in the know?

Mike Spanbauer
04-20-2008, 4:30 PM
This question could go to any cab saw owner with a decent motor (baldor, leeson, etc).

I own a 3hp PM 66 (baldor) and I've never stalled the motor even cutting 10/4 black walnut. Now, it's probably possible to do so if you had the need to rip say... 3" purple heart, Ipe, or desert ironwood (to name a few) but how often do you see yourself doing that?

The other side is, is the different in price worth the wondering you may experience of "should I have gone w/ the bigger one?"

As to the kickback argument... sounds like something stuck to the bottom of my shoes... but maybe there is some truth to it. I can tell you that 3hp kickbacks kill just as easily if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time.

mike

David DeCristoforo
04-20-2008, 4:35 PM
"As to the kickback argument... sounds like something stuck to the bottom of my shoes... "

Kinda well put.... Actually, the likelihood of a kickback may be lessened by having a motor powerful enough to push the blade through a cut that might "choke" a smaller motor. Anyway, I have a 5hp on my uni and a 7hp on my slider and I have never found myself wishing for a smaller motor....

Jeffrey Schronce
04-20-2008, 4:37 PM
RPM is the same on 3hp SS and 5hp SS. I can not imagine kickback being limited by HP torque.

Dennis Meek
04-20-2008, 4:43 PM
Mac

I have the 5 hp Sawstop. I went from a 1.5 hp saw to the 5 hp. I can't speak to the difference between that and a 3 hp but I can speak to the difference between the 5 and 1.5. The 5 cuts effortlessly as I would imagine a 3 cuts the same. Plus that and a sharp blade.

Go for it!

Mac Cambra
04-20-2008, 6:42 PM
The part of the story I left out was that he has a 3HP in stock that he could deliver immediately. I was disappointed that he wanted to sell me what he had not what I wanted and tried to justify it with an argument that I thought was shakey.

Joe Jensen
04-20-2008, 6:52 PM
I have a 5HP SawStop and I accidentally tripped the brake by not correctly installing the riving knife/guard. I won't make that mistake again :eek:

I can say that my brake stopped the blade within 2 teeth on a nearly new razor sharp Forrest blade. Me thinks the salesman wants to sell what he has. Having said that, I don't know that I'll ever need the extra 2HP.

William Nimmo
04-20-2008, 7:17 PM
I was under the impression that unless you hook it up 3 phase, there is no advantage to a 5hp.
I have the 3 hp sawstop and it is way enough saw for my everyday use.

Joe Jensen
04-20-2008, 7:26 PM
I was under the impression that unless you hook it up 3 phase, there is no advantage to a 5hp.
I have the 3 hp sawstop and it is way enough saw for my everyday use.

That is not correct. While there are tons of companies offering mickey mouse ratings on 110V home shop tools, 5, 6, 6.5HP, etc. My favorite is the 6.5HP Sears shop vacs.:confused: I always wonder how a 1500 watt circuit can deliver 5HP x 746watts per HP or 3730 watts. That would be if motors were 100% efficient. They aren't

One can indeed by true 5HP 220V industrial motors. A 30amp 1PH 220V line delvers enough power for a true 5HP. If you could get a 100% efficient motor, this circuit could deliver 8.85HP. They also sell some 7.5HP single phase motors, but they are much larger and more expensive to buy than 3PH, and I think the single phase is lower efficiency than 3 phase.

Mac Cambra
04-20-2008, 7:29 PM
5HP has to produce more torque than the 3HP so I am not sure where 3 phase comes into play.

I agree that the extra power most likely will not provide much benefit day to day but who knows it may be needed on the rare occasion. I am not concerned about the value proposition, I am just trying to determine if my BS meter/filter was correct about added risk from the 5HP compared to the 3HP.

Joe Jensen
04-20-2008, 7:32 PM
5HP has to produce more torque than the 3HP so I am not sure where 3 phase comes into play.

I agree that the extra power most likely will not provide much benefit day to day but who knows it may be needed on the rare occasion. I am not concerned about the value proposition, I am just trying to determine if my BS meter/filter was correct about added risk from the 5HP compared to the 3HP.

I think your filter was very accurate :rolleyes:

Tom Veatch
04-20-2008, 11:04 PM
... I am not concerned about the value proposition, I am just trying to determine if my BS meter/filter was correct about added risk from the 5HP compared to the 3HP.

I believe your filter is accurate. The velocity of anything kicked back by the saw is going to be determined by the velocity of the blade tips. Since both 3 and 5 HP saws spin the blade at the same tip speed, I doubt there's going be a measurable difference in the kickback danger.

If one blade, the 3HP for example, is spinning slower, as in bogged down, then the violence of the kickback might be reduced. But, every kickback incident that I've experienced has been with the blade at or near full speed.

Your BS filter is working fine.

Vic Damone
04-21-2008, 12:49 AM
If you have a saw you can use for the time being get the five horse because:

You may never need it, but someday you might.

I'm glad I got the 3 hp because __________________.

Slam dunk resale value.

You use dull blades when building distressed furniture.

More power more weight?

For all those times when you didn't get the full boat version.

Because you always get the full boat version.

The 5 hp isn't really the full boat version so you being thrifty.

It puts a smile on your face just knowing you've got the juice.

Because I said so.

Vic

Yuchol Kim
04-21-2008, 12:55 AM
I just upgraded from PM2000 3HP to 5HP SS.
I started a computer desk project made of maple with the PM, finishing it up with the SS. I can tell the difference on the additional power. Keep in mind though, I never felt like the 3HP would be stalled, it's just that 5HP has more power. I am very glad I got the 5HP. Why? Because now I don't have to wonder how the "others" live.

Eddie Darby
04-21-2008, 11:28 AM
If you read-up on a tool or machine, and spend sometime around people who know their stuff, then chances are you are more knowledgeable than most salespersons who are just doing a job. You seem leaning towards a 5 Hp, so I keep leaning that way and not let that salesperson influence your decision.

I have never regretted having too much Hp on any machine in my shop.

Just remember that the term 'kickback' to a salesperson has an entirely different meaning to the several that are grouped together in woodworking, since there is more than one type of kickback.:cool:

When you see threads that say,
"Gee I sure wish I had a 3 instead of the 5.'
then you will have reason to be concerned.:D

Tom Hargrove
04-21-2008, 11:49 AM
Have you ever purchased any machine (car, truck, boat, tool), and later said: "Gee, I wish I had gotten the smaller engine/motor?"

I didn't think so.

Brian Penning
04-21-2008, 12:02 PM
Have you ever purchased any machine (car, truck, boat, tool), and later said: "Gee, I wish I had gotten the smaller engine/motor?"

I didn't think so.

UhUh...have to disagree withya on that one :), especially lately with the price of gas.

Dana Van Pelt
04-21-2008, 1:56 PM
I have sold hundreds of 3hp saws and dozens of 5 hp saws in my career. Unless you are a commercial user cutting production....buy the three horse....you simply do not need the 5hp and it has no more "saety value" than a 3hp motor.
good luck,\

BUILD WITH CONFIDENCE

Mike

Paul Johnstone
04-21-2008, 4:02 PM
This question could go to any cab saw owner with a decent motor (baldor, leeson, etc).

I own a 3hp PM 66 (baldor) and I've never stalled the motor even cutting 10/4 black walnut. Now, it's probably possible to do so if you had the need to rip say... 3" purple heart, Ipe, or desert ironwood (to name a few) but how often do you see yourself doing that?

I doubt you will stall out a 3 HP motor cutting hardwood if you have a good ripping blade. I've ripped 3" Cherry, Oak, and Walnut with no problem on my 1.5 HP contractor's saw.

I also spend last weekend making some pretty aggressive dado's in oak (about 3/4 = 1" deep and about 5/8" wide). Just use the appropriate feed rate and you will be ok. If I can do it on 1.5 HP, I'm sure you can do it on a 3HP motor..

Allan Froehlich
04-21-2008, 6:30 PM
I would be more concerned about a motor that is too weak.

My saw is an old craftsman that bogs down in 1" cherry with a new Freud blade. I've experienced 3 kickbacks. Each time, the saw bogged down and then bit the wood.

Time for an upgrade.

Mac Cambra
04-21-2008, 8:09 PM
I am getting the 5HP, not a matter of need just a matter of want. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't defeating the safety aspect of the tool and trading cutting myself for more chance of kickback.

I probably should have indicated that I have a 3HP Unisaw which I have managed to stall only when I tried to feed the wood before the blade came up to full speed.

Roger Bull
04-23-2008, 4:59 PM
Since the blades spin at the same RPM the kickback velocity would be about the same - unless the piece is really heavy. In that case, theoretically, a 5hp could throw the heavy piece a little further. Assuming that the blade could get a good enough grip to make the difference...

I have the 5hp SS and am glad I went for it. I was on the fence but decided not to take the chance that I would regret getting the 3hp.

-Roger

Steven Wilson
04-23-2008, 5:04 PM
If you're running a table saw with a 10" blade then use a 3hp motor unless you plan on using a powerfeeder for ripping operations, then get a 5hp. If you have a tablesaw with 12" blades then use a 5hp motor unless you plan on using a powerfeeder, then choose a 7.5.hp one.

In your case get the 3hp motor.