PDA

View Full Version : Stanley "D" chisel?

Dave Cav
04-20-2008, 2:30 PM
I just received a Stanley socket chisel I won on the auction site. It's a 1/4" red handle model, and appears to be new and unused. The price was right, and it looks like it will be a good user. The only markings are Stanley, Made in the USA, and "D". What is interesting about it is that it is ground with a slight twist in the blade. The lower portion is flat so it will be ok to use, but it looks a little odd. It looks like it might be a factory second. Does anyone know anything about the various grades of Stanley socket chisels?

Thanks
Dave C

Clint Jones
04-20-2008, 2:33 PM
Someone will come up with an answer for you but I just wanted to say I have owned a few of the Stanley "D" chisels and see no difference in them and the 750's except price.

Dave Cav
04-20-2008, 3:49 PM
I suspect you're right; I doubt if there is any difference at all in the steel that went into the D models, 750s and Everlasts. I imagine the finish on the metal and maybe the handle was the main difference. In the same vein, I have a couple of WW II planes with non-SW irons, but the irons are still laminated and cut as well or better than any SW vintage iron.

I remember when I was in Shop in 10th grade, about 40 years ago. We had all Stanley socket chisles, mostly w/out handles. Mostly they were used to open paint cans and chop up the work benches....we were not worthy.

Mike Brady
04-23-2008, 8:06 PM
Gosh, this one might be too simple, so watch me be wrong. I thought for sure Clint would know. Every thing I have seen (I have two of them) or read says that the D was the mark for Stanley Defiance tools; just a less expensive version of the same tool as regular Stanley. I could be wrong on this, but I think the Defiance chisels had clear varnish instead of the oxblood red stained handles. Both types had leather washers on the handle end. Mine both have the red handles that were replacements, I'm sure.

Roger Bell
04-24-2008, 8:50 PM
I have seen quite a number of Stanley chisels marked "Defiance" as such.

I have owned a number of D's over the years. I do not know what the D designation means.

Go here to see the Defiance mark on a Stanley chisel. Note that it is spelled out and is not a "D".

http://www.antique-used-tools.com/stanleychisels.htm

Lynn Dowd
04-27-2008, 12:44 PM
I suspect you're right; I doubt if there is any difference at all in the steel that went into the D models, 750s and Everlasts.

You may be right about the steel being the same, but they were not tempered the same. The 750s, and the D models, as well, hold a much better edge than the Everlasts. I use to have some Everlasts I used to chop dovetails, but switched in favor of the 750s due to the fact the edges of the Everlasts kept rounding over under heavy use.

Lynn