PDA

View Full Version : Had to come in and blow off some steam

David Duke
04-20-2008, 12:47 PM
Putting together the last of the doors for my current kitchen project, I somehow had overlooked cutting the stiles for 2 doors on the pantry unit (the unit has 3 pair of doors with each pair a different height). I had it on my cut list just simply overlooked it.......no problem, everything was still set up and the jigs were already made.

So I checked the size of the door as shown on the list, cut the appropriate length of stiles, cut the mortises, cut the jack miter, routed the bead, cut the grove for the panel and assembled with the already cut rails. Went to cross the last of the doors off my list and my jaw hit the floor, you guessed it made them the wrong size. What I had done is look at the wrong line on my list I actually had the sizer of the door right however when figuring the total number of like size pieces I wrote directly below the pantry unit cut the length/quantity of the rails needed 9 3/8" - 12 , you guessed it I was neededing 12 pcs 9 3/8" long WHICH I HAD, but in my haste to get these wrapped up I saw that that line wasn't highlighted showing it to be complete and took it to be the finished size of the DOOR not seeing the ACTUAL door size above it 13 1/4" X ..........................

You know, as you can tell in how I stopped typing the above sentence, I REALLY HAD MY HEAD UP MY REAR-END ON THIS ONE :mad::mad::mad::o !!!!!!!

Oh well steam vented, got to get out there and cut ALL the pieces for a couple of doors and assemble them but at least I do have sample doors in this pattern now :D.

Joe Chritz
04-20-2008, 1:08 PM
I feel ya pain.

Now, for everyone who hasn't done that speak up. <<<<crickets>>>>

Last project I just completely forgot two cab doors. Didn't realize it until I was installing everything. At least it wasn't a 40 mile drive to do the install.

Joe

Matt Ocel
04-20-2008, 1:25 PM
OH YEAH!

I"ve been down that road.

Sometimes I forget the golden rule ( M twice - C once ).

Just remember
Fool me once, shame on me
fool me twice shame on???????
We don't get fooled again.

David DeCristoforo
04-20-2008, 1:52 PM
"...I somehow had overlooked cutting the stiles for 2 doors..."

That has never happened to me....
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Richard M. Wolfe
04-20-2008, 1:58 PM
Well, I've posted this once before so I don't guess it'll hurt me to post it again. (Maybe if I do it enough the lesson will stick). :o

Had four glassed cabinet doors to make - two singles and a double. Went to the customer's house and took measurements and came home and made the doors. I won't even tell you what I did except to say the opening for the double was only about an inch off square. Wrote down the dimensions but didn't write down length and width (dummy). To top it off the lady of the household was standing behind me when I attempted to fit them. Sigh. Well, they did fit the opening. :o:o

Narayan Nayar
04-20-2008, 2:06 PM
I really can't relate at all to your story. I can only imagine in the most abstract way the kind of pain you're going through right now. I mean, really...that kind of mistake takes some serious effort.

Cough. :)

Just so you know, a real woodworker, though, wouldn't stop there. Now's your chance to actually remake the cabinets to fit the doors you just made, and to remake the room to fit the new cabinets. I mean, if you're going to blow off some steam, at least get a new room out of it :)

David DeCristoforo
04-20-2008, 2:09 PM
"To top it off the lady of the household was standing behind me..."

You never let them watch you work! I have often told my customers, in an only half joking way, that if they would agree to leave town and not come back until the project was done, I would give them a substantial discount.....

Jim Becker
04-20-2008, 8:03 PM
Can you say, "D'oh!!!"??????

David Duke
04-20-2008, 8:58 PM
Thanks guys I knew I'd have your simpathy :rolleyes::rolleyes::D !!!!!!!!!!!

My dad always told me if your not making mistakes your not doing anything; I must be the hardest working guy around!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!