PDA

View Full Version : Candy dish file

Mike Lush
04-20-2008, 12:34 PM
I've been on this forum for awhile and have helped myself to all the great ideas, so I figured I would post something some others might find worthwhile. I made this candydish box from a file found here, but I modified it somewhat so the lid slots into the top of the dish and it displays the corporate messages and you don't lose the lid. If it's not clear the little circles are for the top of the lid.

I kind of made it as a joke, but I have orders for a couple of hundred right now at $10 a pop. It's made from 3mm cast acrylic and you can change the message to whatever the customer wants.

-Mike

Darren Null
04-20-2008, 3:32 PM
Ah, I get it. The circles stack up to make a lid handle, and when in use, you stick the lid in the grooves to display the corporate gubbins. Cunning. Thanks.

Lee DeRaud
04-21-2008, 1:20 AM
(scratches head) Looks like either the file is missing a piece or there's nothing to keep the lid centered on the box when it's closed. As near as I can tell, the lid is just a flat square slab resting on a flat square rim the same size.

(Or maybe you're not supposed to close it.:p)

Craig Hogarth
04-21-2008, 3:08 AM
I see the notches for the "lid", but I can't figure out what the circles are for.

Darren Null
04-21-2008, 8:33 AM
The small circles with the larger one on top, get glued together to make a handle, would be my guess. As for the lid just sitting on top, an extra square (or just corners) would get it to sit properly. One for the Mark II.

Lee DeRaud
04-21-2008, 11:47 AM
The small circles with the larger one on top, get glued together to make a handle, would be my guess. As for the lid just sitting on top, an extra square (or just corners) would get it to sit properly. One for the Mark II.That's one option for the "missing piece" I alluded to.

Also, if the top were a bit bigger (say 1mm each way), you could dispense with the 'handle'...makes the assembly process a bit less fussy.
(Did I mention I hate gluing acrylic?)

Darren Null
04-21-2008, 2:29 PM
Did I mention I hate gluing acrylic?
Chloroform is illegal here, as it's meant to be dangerous. So it's replacement is a carcinogen. Go figure.

I used to hate glueing acrylic with my old 5ml syringe, until I discovered the much tinier syringes used by diabetics to inject insulin. It's much easier with those. And only 30 centimos each. The first time I went in the shop it was early in the morning (not my best time) and I found out later that I'm getting the drug-addict rate. Result!