PDA

View Full Version : How do you store your sandpaper

Colin MacDiarmid
04-20-2008, 8:40 AM
This question has probably been asked a dozen times before!! but how do your store you sandpaper at the lathe, I am feed up raking through the wood chips for a bit I know I had two minutes before.

Jim Becker
04-20-2008, 8:59 AM
Believe it or not...in a big roughed out bowl...

Greg Just
04-20-2008, 9:43 AM
in a small bucket

Brian Brown
04-20-2008, 11:33 AM
Get some spring clothes pins, (one for each grit), and glue a strong magnet to one side. Stick the magnet to the front of your lathe, and put one grit of sandpaper in each clothespin.

Tom Hamilton
04-20-2008, 3:49 PM
Hi Colin and greetings from the Colonies:

I recently moved to power sanding and had 2 and 3 inch discs all over the shop. What a mess.

After a couple of frustrated turning, actually sanding, sessions, I went to the office supply store, Office Depot on this side of the pond, and bought a couple of these divided folders:

Next a box to house the folders and the sanding disc holders

and Schazzam

all the supplies at my finder tips. The box can sit on the lathe during sanding or on the back table within easy reach.

Enjoy the journey,

Tom, in Houston, planning for a visit to the homeland one day soon.

Fred Conte
04-20-2008, 5:05 PM
Get some spring clothes pins, (one for each grit), and glue a strong magnet to one side. Stick the magnet to the front of your lathe, and put one grit of sandpaper in each clothespin.

Great tip!!! - thanks Brian:)

Allen Neighbors
04-20-2008, 7:02 PM
TTIT's sanding tree, can't be beat for close at hand, sorting. :D

Ben Gastfriend
04-20-2008, 7:35 PM
Sanding... why would ya'll do that?

I keep my power sanding discs in little plastic drawers, one grit per drawer. The doo-hicky is mounted next to the lathe. Works for me.

Richard Madison
04-20-2008, 10:21 PM
Discs, straight drill and 90 degree drill laid out on shelf behind me (when am standing at lathe). Strips in small wood tray that sits on the ways while sanding, and on a shelf under the lathe bed when not sanding.

Clem Wixted
04-21-2008, 7:23 AM
TTIT's sanding tree, can't be beat for close at hand, sorting. :D

Thanks for posting Allen, this looks like TTIT has KISS right on for sanding :-)

http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=32871

There is a link to his web site, in the post, which has a little more information and other gadgets.

Clem

Burt Alcantara
04-21-2008, 11:12 AM
I have 2 of these units. I keep strips and discs. The units are almost directly behind me so I just reach in, use a strip then discard it. It's the best method I've found so far.

I'm thinking of getting a few more as they are perfect storage for the chip explosion area.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Abrasives___Sanding_Accessories___Tilt_a_Bin_Disc_ Holder___tilt_a_bin?Args=

Burt

Pete Jordan
04-22-2008, 9:49 AM
I just thought I would add my system.It might need a little work.

Clem Wixted
04-22-2008, 10:51 AM
I just thought I would add my system. It might need a little work.

Pete, You are one honest (and open) guy. I wish my shop was as neat as yours :-)

I picked up some banding metal strapping yesterday and when it rains later this week will make one mentioned above.

Clem

Tony De Masi
04-26-2008, 7:31 AM
This is how I store mine. Simple sandwich bags with the grit written on the bag. A "U" shape is cut out of the front of the bag to make it easy to grab what you want. Simple push pins hold down the corners. This isn't my idea but I thought it was usefull for me. The wall that they are on is right behind my lathe for very easy access.

Tony

robert hainstock
04-26-2008, 9:24 AM
I use two old wooden paper file storage units for sheets, and an old 5in floppy disc container for discs. Then at the lathe, My system is slightly more fragmented than Petes. :eek::):):)
Bob