PDA

View Full Version : Deal or no deal on Jet 18" bandsaw?

Eric Klock
04-19-2008, 11:27 PM
I have an opportunity to buy a 4-month old Jet 18x-3 bandsaw for $1000. I've read a lot of negative reviews on the Jet bandsaws, but most of them seem to regard the older versions. It seems that Jet has addressed many of the complaints but there have been few if any reviews of the improved models.

I read a lot of favorable comments regarding the Grizzly 513x2 17" model. If both saws were the same price would the Grizzly still stand above the Jet? Is the Jet really that bad of a bandsaw? Is a $1000 a good deal on a relatively new 3hp Jet?

Terry Browne
04-19-2008, 11:35 PM
Read the reviews at Amazon - they should be helpful.

http://www.amazon.com/710750-JWBS-18X-Horsepower-Woodworking-230-Volt/dp/B0006U67I8

Stephen Edwards
04-20-2008, 12:10 AM
I have an opportunity to buy a 4-month old Jet 18x-3 bandsaw for $1000. I've read a lot of negative reviews on the Jet bandsaws, but most of them seem to regard the older versions. It seems that Jet has addressed many of the complaints but there have been few if any reviews of the improved models.

I read a lot of favorable comments regarding the Grizzly 513x2 17" model. If both saws were the same price would the Grizzly still stand above the Jet? Is the Jet really that bad of a bandsaw? Is a $1000 a good deal on a relatively new 3hp Jet?

The question I would ask, in addition to the sound advise of reading the reviews, is this: why is someone selling an almost brand new bandsaw?

I don't know about the Grizzly 513x2 17" model. However, I can tell you that if it's in the same quality range of the G0555X, it's a good saw. My new G0555X performs perfectly after some minor tuning.

Again, I would ask why is this person selling this saw already.

My two cents worth...........

Rick Gifford
04-20-2008, 1:50 AM
I have the 18-3.

I havent found negatives yet. I havent checked the flatness of the table, but I just picked up a straight edge from Lee Valley so that is on my list.

I read the reviews from Amazon, what I read:

- Adjusting the blade guides is a total pain - to move the lower guides requies tipping the table up and jamming your hand underneath to loosen the hex bolts. I dunno about this, I can make these adjustments and dont need to tip the table at all. Maybe this person has humongous hands??

- Raising the cutting height, even 2-3 ", causes you to need to readjust all the guides. I seriously have no clue what they are talking about. I don't need to do this.

- Tightening the guides changes their settings - need to guess to get it right. Again not me, don't have this poblem.

- Top of saw felt weak (thin gauge metal) Its not heavy metal, but who really cares? If someone is looking for cast iron sides good luck.

- Table was nowhere near flat Havent checked this, but I plan to!

- I could not get table square to blade even after "1/4" of
shims under the table Wow, mine is square out of the crate. They set this up fine. I expected to need to make this adjustment and was suprised it was dead on.

- The cast iron wheels were poorly made and caused the whole
machine to shake with vibration and I could not correct it No comment. I dont know how much vibration they are getting. I do not feel mine vibrates excessively.

- And the icing on the cake was the lower blade guides, you
have to remove the table to change a blade and make any
adjustments to the lower guides I re-read this to see if I read it correctly, maybe there has been a design change? I know these reviews are for the 1 1/2 HP but I would think its the same saw otherwise. I haven't removed my table for any blade change or guide adjustment.

Rick Gifford
04-20-2008, 11:47 AM
Just checked the table. Mine is 100% flat. Guess I got a lucky bandsaw.

Honestly, if the bandsaw checks out buy it. Mine is about the same age.

Chris Barnett
04-20-2008, 2:21 PM
Be wary of opinionated reviews that just sound "overtly bad". On the other hand, the Griz 514X2 is a good BS for the money and quite similar to the 513X2. Flat table, easily adjusted guides, one minute or so blade change excluding readjusting guides if necessary, and the fantastic tilt table.

Bob Genovesi
04-20-2008, 6:59 PM
I have Jets 18 inch and also their 14 inch bandsaw. While they might not be in the same category as a Laguna they've performed very well for me. Both tables are flat

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/Shop-05.jpg

1. Adjusting the blade guides is a total pain - to move the lower guides requires tipping the table up and jamming your hand underneath to loosen the hex bolts. My saw has the European guides and the top guides are a breeze to adjust. The lower guides on the other hand are a bit of a pain. There is one cap screw that I used a shortened Allen wrench to make it easier. If the table had an access hole for this one screw there'd be no issues at all.

2. Raising the cutting height, even 2-3 ", causes you to need to readjust all the guides. This statement is pure bullshit!! I raise and lower the cutting heights all day long without issue. I don't know who did the review but Wal-Mart is looking for a new greater..

3. Tightening the guides changes their settings - need to guess to get it right. See comments above..

4. Top of saw felt weak (thin gauge metal) Now there's a quantifiable statement....

5. Table was nowhere near flat I wonder what his point of reference or comparison was?

6. I could not get table square to blade even after "1/4" of
shims under the table No problem here either. I wonder if the saw fell off the back of the truck prior to testing. But of course I could say the same thing about the reviewer.

7. The cast iron wheels were poorly made and caused the whole
machine to shake with vibration and I could not correct it. I'm not sure how much vibration they were getting but I do not feel mine vibrates excessively at all.

8. And the icing on the cake was the lower blade guides, you
have to remove the table to change a blade and make any
adjustments to the lower guides. This statement is pure bullshit as well. I have never removed my table when I change a blade or adjust the guides. The lower guides on the other hand are a bit of a pain. There is one cap screw that I used a shortened Allen wrench to make it easier. If the table had an access hole for this one screw there'd be no issues at all.

Pete Bradley
04-20-2008, 9:34 PM
The comment "Raising the cutting height, even 2-3 ", causes you to need to readjust all the guides" basically says "I don't know anything about machines!!" The cause is that the guide bar is out of adjustment. Shouldn't be, but not a big deal to correct. The exploded view for this saw shows a fairly standard 3-point adjustment for the bar, but the manual doesn't explain its use. A similar issue actually tripped up a Fine Woodworking reviewer last year in the infamous and bogus on so many points review of the Steel City bandsaw.

As others mentioned, the most important question is: "why is it for sale after only 4 months?" I would also check for the kind of damage associated with the machine being knocked over, such as cracked trunnions, trunnion bracket, or table.

Pete

Eric Klock
04-21-2008, 3:23 PM
"My saw has the European guides and the top guides are a breeze to adjust. The lower guides on the other hand are a bit of a pain. There is one cap screw that I used a shortened Allen wrench to make it easier. If the table had an access hole for this one screw there'd be no issues at all."

I was able to look at a floor model a month or so ago. That unit had lower guides designed for tool-free adjustment without any obstruction from the table. Maybe Jet has revised the lower guides even since the release of the -18x model? The dealer that went to has since sold out of the 18" Jet and doesn't plan on stocking them again until June. I'd really like to get a saw sooner than that.

I also felt that if the Amazon reviewer had such a difficult time adjusting the table to square his saw was probably damaged in freight at some time.

Brodie Brickey
04-21-2008, 5:55 PM

Eric,

If Terry sent you the same link as the Bandsaw you're buying, I don't think $1000 is a good deal for you. For a hundred more, you have free shipping, the ability to return if not happy, and warranty direct from Jet. The warranty would be valid from the seller, but why complicate your life.

Now $750... that's a good deal.

Paul Simmel
04-21-2008, 6:38 PM
I paid $1100 new for my 1.5 hp 18" Jet... back in the day. The one you're interested in is a better saw, as I understand it. Heavier, and a longer band (137") opposed to my 133". For $1100 I don't know if I'd buy it again, but I absolutely would get the 3 hp for $1000. My saw has served me very well.