PDA

View Full Version : John Deere Gloat!

Tom Henry
04-19-2008, 10:40 PM
After tossing so many different ZTR Mowers I have finally made up my mind and settled into a John Deere. After they dropped it off I practiced driving it in the cul-de-sac and off I went. WOW what a difference from a traditional riding tractor. It was faster, easier, and actually fun to mow the lawn. I would recommend this type of mower to anyone who is in the market for a tractor. AND YES THE PIC IS BELOW...:D

Joe Mioux
04-20-2008, 6:16 AM
Tom, for strictly mowing, zero turns can't be beat. You will be stunned at how fast you go mow your yard with zeroturns. One suggestion, be careful making 180 degree turns when cutting, you will tear patches in your lawn with the pivoting wheel.

Oh yea, they do like to get stuck in ditches sometimes, damhikt.

The only draw back with mine is that I can't easily pull lawn implements with it. That is the only issue where a traditional riding lawn mower has an advantage.

Have fun and enjoy your new ZT.

joe

Jim Becker
04-20-2008, 8:51 AM
What Joe said. I'm seriously considering buying a ZTR at some point so I can keep my tractor setup for heavier work all the time. Dropping the mower deck, while not difficult, is often inconvenient when I need to do FEL or backhoe work.

Congrats on your new tool!

Peter Stahl
04-20-2008, 9:02 AM
Congrats Tom! Wish I could justify one for my little lawn but my Wife needs the exercise! LOL. I rode my BIL's cub cadet and they are fun to drive.

Dave Lehnert
04-20-2008, 6:22 PM
I use to spend two evenings mowing grass each week with my old rider. Purchased a Toro ZTR and if I run it wide open I can mow and trim everything and back in my easy chair in one hour. about hour 20min if I take my time. Best money ever spent.

Tom Henry
04-20-2008, 6:25 PM
The Toro was my second choice. What model did you purchase?

Joe Mioux
04-20-2008, 11:00 PM
What Joe said. I'm seriously considering buying a ZTR at some point so I can keep my tractor setup for heavier work all the time. Dropping the mower deck, while not difficult, is often inconvenient when I need to do FEL or backhoe work.

Congrats on your new tool!

Pssss...... Scag Tigers or Tiger cubs. Don't let Keith O. derail you with that Dixie chopper! ;)

joe

Greg Narozniak
04-21-2008, 8:28 AM
The Commercial ZTR are the way to go. As I always recommend to people in the market, check with your local dealers that sells to the Lawn Services. Many of the large services trade there mowers in when the commercial warranty is up and home owners can pick them up fairly cheap.

I have always owned Scag equipment, I have a walk behind @ home that I used on Friday and it started up on the 3rd pull and cut like perfect after sitting all winter, and they have always been rock solid. The only issues with the riders are the wiring is not the best design and the older model riders needed the motor removed to replace the starter. They might have addressed this but it has been a while since I was in the market. I know the Toro Commercial ZTRs are very highly rated and I believe are less expensive than the Scags and Bobcats.

As a home owner you will really never push the unit like a commercial company does so it will last for a long long LONG time.

Dave Lehnert
04-26-2008, 10:28 PM
The Toro was my second choice. What model did you purchase?

I purchased the Toro Estate Z400. http://www.toro.com/professional/lce/zmaster/z400/74449.html
It is a commercial built mower for the home owner with a lot of grass to cut. Fits me perfect. It is 52" cut 19 HP Kawasaki. The deck is built of 7 gage . Cast iron spindles. I purchased it 2 years ago for $5,600. Like buying a car but worth it.

James Suzda
04-27-2008, 6:08 AM
I see your model comes with a co-driver! I'm sure you will enjoy your JD mower. BTW, I have an older JD SST (spin steer technology) and I can pull things with it just fine. It's just a little tricky backing up a trailer.
Check out the back of your machine? Is there a hole to use as a hitch?

Tom Henry
04-27-2008, 10:32 AM
no hitch...but I found one online for my model

Rob Will
04-27-2008, 6:12 PM
Don't forget to look at a Grasshopper.
Family owned company, made in Kansas.
I run a 722D (60" cut, 21 hp Kubota Diesel)
ZTR mowers have cut my mowing time in half.

Rob

david hines
04-27-2008, 9:57 PM
i just purchased a x304 42 inch deck with the 4 wheel steering i looked at the ztr but decided the tractor was the way to go . will report back in a few weeks