PDA

View Full Version : A Little Help From His Friends

Raymond Overman
04-19-2008, 10:15 PM
To get it out of the truck that is. Just thought you'd like to see Anatoly Tsiris' latest piece. He brought it to the club meeting Thursday and I had to help him get it out of the back of his truck. It's a little over 6' of maple.

This is what you can do with a custom Nichols lathe. He said that he could have made it one foot longer if the wood had cooperated. He also said that he used two large steady rests to stabilize it while he hollowed it.

Richard Madison
04-19-2008, 10:23 PM
Gadzook! That would hold some BIG flowers.

tim mathis
04-19-2008, 10:31 PM
wow!!
now all my stuff will look small. that looks great.
tim

Dick Strauss
04-19-2008, 10:38 PM
Raymond,
Thanks for the post. That's a pretty impressive piece! Is the piece hollow? Is so, how did he hollow it?

It looks like he has some hose clamps on it to keep if from splitting I guess...

Thanks again,
Dick

Raymond Overman
04-19-2008, 10:48 PM
He uses a 10' 145# boring bar with a articulating tool holder on it. The cutter is 1 1/4" square of M2 steel. This particular piece was hollowed from the bottom and the top. It was still a little wet so he puts hose clamps on it to keep the edges and neck from cracking.

Bernie Weishapl
04-19-2008, 11:06 PM
Wow Raymond what a piece. Holy cow a 145# boring bar.

Bill Bolen
04-20-2008, 2:48 AM
Seeing the size of the piece and the size of the man I would have thought he would have had to have had forearms like Popeye! Thats just amazing work! Thanks for the pic Ray...Bill..

Harvey M. Taylor
04-20-2008, 6:13 AM
I dont know for sure, but I'll bet that he got inside that thing to finish hollowing it.Great work and great piece. Max

Russ Sears
04-20-2008, 7:43 AM
Can I do that on my new Jet mini-lathe? :)

Jim Becker
04-20-2008, 9:03 AM
Wow....Anatoly is a very talented (and patient) turner!

Steve Schlumpf
04-20-2008, 10:17 AM
Wow - that's just intense!! Jim already beat me to the question of how long did that take? I get tired when hollowing but can't imagine holding a 145# bar with a 1 1/4" cutter! Yikes! What else can you say - "He Da Man!!"

Nathan Hawkes
04-20-2008, 4:33 PM
HOLY S(#$!!!

Damn. Kind of makes me think of the ridiculously large "Amphora" that the Greeks & Romans used to transport wine & other goods. Pretty incredible!!

I can't even imagine getting that piece onto the lathe, let alone hollowing it. I guess you'd have to have a massive faceplate with a bunch of lag screws at first, then those steady rests mentioned. Any pics of the setup??

Terry Quiram
04-20-2008, 7:04 PM
I am very impressed. I can't imagine how long it took to hollow. What is the wall thickness?

Ben Gastfriend
04-20-2008, 7:33 PM
Wowee! What kinda tool does he use to shape the outside... a 5" gouge? And how many HP does that lathe have? Amazing.:eek:

curtis rosche
04-20-2008, 8:32 PM
thats amazing

to awnser bens question i believe if i remember the site right they nicholas lathes can get a 7hp motor?

they ought to make a bowl saver for doing things like these, thats a lot of wasted wood. i wonder how much that thing made the lathe "dance"

Dennis Puskar
04-20-2008, 10:10 PM
That piece is AMAZING great job

Raymond Overman
04-20-2008, 11:07 PM
To answer some questions...

I think the lathe has a three hp motor if I remember correctly. He uses a hoist to get the log on the lathe. He uses a large roughing gouge with a long and heavy handle for the outside. I'm not sure how long this piece took but I think I remember him saying it generally took him six to eight hours to rough turn some of his other large pieces. The walls were probably an 1 1/4" to an 1 1/2" in places. After roughing them in to this stage he let's them dry then uses a 24 grit gouge to clean up the tool marks on the outside.

At some point I'm going to get over to his new shop and film him working on a piece. Maybe I'll get a round tuit at some point.

Richard Madison
04-21-2008, 12:03 AM
Raymond,
The lady at my local gallery (which deals with paintings, photography, and jewelry, but NO wood stuff) looked at a couple of small (5") hollowforms with finials last week and asked "What's it for". I have an answer for her, but I gotta ask the same question about Anatoly's work. What's it for?

It will be very cool to see your video of his work in progress.

Raymond Overman
04-21-2008, 7:53 AM
Richard,

Just like the hollow forms with finials, you dust it.

Glenn Hodges
04-22-2008, 8:55 AM
Awsome is an overused word in today's world so I will use one of my granddaddy's expressions. I just be daggone!

Geoff Hanha
04-22-2008, 10:33 AM
Never mind the size of the flowers you put in it, how many dam bags of shavings did you get:D Its a wicked size pot thats for sure, must be some boring bar tool. John Lucas goes for micro goblets trying for the worlds smallest, to extreems of turning. Nice work hope it stay in one piece..Geoff

http://www.shapewood.co.uk