PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade tho Old Computer for the Laser

Pete Simmons
04-19-2008, 8:14 PM
So I have a 5 or 6 year old Dell.

Needs memory but type required is expensive.

So why sink $$ into old machine.

So lets just buy a new mother board, cpu and some memory and upgrade the whole thing for maybe $350.

Glad I am doing this when the laser is not real busy. Also a good lesson on having a backup plan for the day you will need it and of course have a large laser order.

Turns out when you buy that great deal from Dell you are getting a very limited version of Windows. In my case it was double bad as I bought it just prior to XP so it came with ME then a free upgrade to XP.

Well first to load your copy of windows you need to start with Me and then load the XP upgrade - a few hours at best.

It gets worse - The Dell version of Windows is to be run on a Dell supplied Mother Board ONLY per an agreement with Microsoft.

So install your copy of windows on your new MB system and call Microsoft to activate it and guess what - NO GO.

Am I upset? Not really. I just want to have a solid good running system. Turns out I traded some marble engraving to my parts supplier for a real copy of Windows.

What have I learned? I have often wondered how Dell can sell a system with Windows cheaper than I can buy the hardware? Now I know. I bet they do not pay $20 for each crippled copy of Windows they sell.

So to all you Dell owners out there with your Windows system disks in hand ready for the day you need them - WATCH OUT! you may be surprised.

Richard Rumancik
04-19-2008, 10:56 PM
I don't think this issue is specific to Dell. With an OEM licence, Microsoft lets you change quite a bit of the hardware in your system while retaining the same licence. If it changes quite a lot at once, you might have to explain over the phone what you did as it does a "scan" of your system when you first activate. But they draw the line at the motherboard. If you change the motherboard, it is deemed to be a different computer and the OEM licence is not transferable to another PC. There is some provision for warranty replacements of motherboards, but that's about it.

Steve knight
04-20-2008, 12:04 AM
why would you spend 350 to upgrade when you could gave gotten a scratch and dent or refurbish dell for that or less? and it would have a warranty too.

Pete Simmons
04-20-2008, 10:22 AM
I have had good luck with Dell in the past but this part about a limited Windows OEM Licence worries me. I do not mean to single out Dell about this OEM Licence thing as I would bet it is the same for most other computer box companies.

"If you change the motherboard, it is deemed to be a different computer and the OEM licence is not transferable to another PC"

Most software bought today is licenced for use on one computer. Remove it from one and install it on another - No problem. Now I am aware that many people forget to remove it from the first computer but with Windows there are built in checks (Activation) to prevent that.

I bet most of us would be upset if we found out our legal version of Corel would only work on the first MB we installed it on.

So with original Windows disks in hand with the serial # I would expect to be able to install it on any computer I want regardless of what parts are used in it. I have no problem with the activation part and yes with significant changes a call to Microsoft is fine. But after buying it then telling me it is only good on that computer (defined by that motherboard), or maybe a new MB bought from Dell, I do not agree with that method.

Why $350 on an upgrade when I could get a used Dell? At this point I am not sure I think a factory computer with a crippled version of Windows is a good deal at any price. I want to be able to mix and match hardware as I want, not limited to what they approve of. As I understand it if you go back a few years Dell even used a different pin out on the power supply just to make it difficult to replace with non Dell parts.

My upgrade really turned into a new computer using very few of the parts from the old Dell.

New computer, faster CPU, lotza memory, DVD, faster bigger HD and full version of Windows which can be transfered when needed. And yes is was more than $350 - more like $600.

My laser and Corel should be happy for some years.

My real message with this post is to be sure you have a backup plan for the computer you use to run your laser. It may take more time and money to replace/repair it than you thought once it breaks down.

Anthony Scira
04-20-2008, 10:38 AM
All you have to do is keep up with computer gaming and you will never have to worry about Corel or your laser again !