PDA

View Full Version : 1 piece of ash, 1 great nephew, 4 hours = great time.

Toney Robertson
04-19-2008, 8:06 PM
Derek and I finally got around to that bat project that was suggested by some on here. He helped me cut out the blank out of an 8' foot chunk of ash and then we mounted it on the lathe.

Not thinking about him being a short person, I had to throw together a box for him to stand on and off we went. I got it round and then started showing him what to do.

Just had him use a roughing gouge. Thought it would be simpler for him to use one tool. I removed the bulk of wood and I went over most areas to get them smooth but by the time we made it to the barrel he was doing a real fine job. He only had one minor catch, which I thought was good for a ten year old.

Here he is at the lathe.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/iublue/112-1243_IMG.jpg

And the final outcome. He was pumped, said it was awesome.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/iublue/112-1246_IMG.jpg

A nice afternoon.

Toney

Andy Hoyt
04-19-2008, 8:18 PM
Very cool.

Let us know how is batting average goes this year.

tim mathis
04-19-2008, 9:15 PM
now thats a bat!!!!!
tell Derek i think he did a great job and to keep turning.:)
tim

Ron McKinley
04-19-2008, 9:33 PM
Looks like we got another slugger in the making! ........Ron

Greg Cuetara
04-19-2008, 10:23 PM
Toney,
Glad that you were able to tackle this project with your great nephew. It looks like you had a lot of fun.
Greg

Bernie Weishapl
04-19-2008, 11:09 PM
Wow Toney. What a great way to spend some time. Great looking bat by the way. Let him know he did well.

Raymond Overman
04-19-2008, 11:18 PM
That bat will be around forever. I'd be willing to bet it's one of the things that goes with him when he moves out of his parents house. Turning is definitely a great way to spend time with a kid.

Steve Schlumpf
04-20-2008, 12:44 AM
Wow Toney - great story and even better pictures! Be sure to let Derek know that he did a wonderful job on his bat and should be proud! What are you guys going to turn next?

Curt Fuller
04-20-2008, 12:56 AM
That's a homerun for sure!

Russ Sears
04-20-2008, 7:46 AM
I think it would be neat if you could burn his signature into the bat.

robert hainstock
04-20-2008, 7:51 AM
Great Job Guys. especially the memories. :D:D
ob

Toney Robertson
04-20-2008, 7:55 AM
I think it would be neat if you could burn his signature into the bat.

Russ, it is in the works. I told Derek that we needed to come up with some neat logo to burn into it. He was trying to come up with some contraction of our last names. I think D&T bat company would probably work but we will go with whatever he wants.

His Mom was impressed that he would stay with it for 4 hours since he is a common 10 year old with a common 10 year olds short attention span. :D

Toney

Toney Robertson
04-20-2008, 8:00 AM
Wow Toney - great story and even better pictures! Be sure to let Derek know that he did a wonderful job on his bat and should be proud! What are you guys going to turn next?

Not sure what will be next. I had a confetti light sitting on a bench that I had just completed and Derek picked it up and said that it was cool. I told him that he could make one if he wanted so we will see what happens.

The only thing I don't know at this point is if I should ask him about other turning or should I wait until he asks me. I don't want him to think he HAS to come up to the shop but I want to encourage him as much as possible. Always seems like a fine line to walk for kids.

Thanks for the comments and I will tell Derek what you said.

Toney

Fred Conte
04-20-2008, 8:07 AM
Turning is definitely a great way to spend time with a kid.

It's ever better than taking him fishing, his skills and experence will last a life time! Tell Derek he did a great job!

Toney you may end up having the whole team over for some turning lessons (icluding their parents)!!!:eek::D...more for the vortex!:D

Skip Spaulding
04-20-2008, 8:29 AM
Beautiful bat and a great project! I think you found the "thread that binds".

Jim Becker
04-20-2008, 8:58 AM
Wonderful!

Glenn Hodges
04-20-2008, 1:20 PM
2 great immages.