PDA

View Full Version : Fix for Frame and Panel Closet Doors

Samuel Brooks
04-19-2008, 7:29 PM
Mess up doors for my daughters closet.

I just hung my 2nd set of frame and panel closet doors. The openings were different between the two sets. The first one went up great. The 2nd one has almost a 2" overlap. :eek: The euro hings won't fix that kind of mistake.

I went back to my original measurements and at the point when I calculated the 2nd door opening I added that amount to both doors instead of 1/2 the difference. :mad:.

Any ideas? They are raised panel doors and I gluded the MDF raised panels into the doors since they are going into my daughers room, I figured they would be hard on them.

I figure that I have a few options.

One is to trim off about 1/2" from both stiles on each side of the door to free up the 2" but that would leave me with a 1.5" wide stiles on a door that is 84" tall. I am concerned about the overall strength.

I could cut 1" off both of where the doors meet. That would give me a 1" stile in the middle and a 2" on the outside. But when they are shut it would like like a 2" in the middle :D.

Most likely the best option:
Build two new raised panel doors the correct width. It's just another 15 bf of popular plus MDF for the raised panel plus another few days of time that I do not have.

Newby mistakes :(.

Thanks for coments.

Peter Quinn
04-19-2008, 9:23 PM
How flexible is the framing?

I'd go with new doors if you can't modify the jamb and framing quickly and successfully. A 1" style on a door that tall with glued in panel might be fine, not sure how much I trust MDF though for strength. Would probably look fine as long as another pair doesn't sit next to it in the same room.

David DeCristoforo
04-19-2008, 9:35 PM
Bite the bullet on this one Samuel. Two doors will not be that much work and it's not worth compromising the project for. Chalk it up to "experience"....

Samuel Brooks
04-20-2008, 7:13 AM
Bite the bullet on this one Samuel. Two doors will not be that much work and it's not worth compromising the project for. Chalk it up to "experience"....

This is the conclusion that I came to. With new laminate flooring, repainted walls and new built-in bunk-beds, now was not the time to grumble about and extra $100 on materials and time. In this case the time factor is where I am taking the hit.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Steve Flavin001
04-20-2008, 11:50 AM
Go ahead and enjoy the cabinet without a set of doors for the time being.

In making the new door(s), we can have everyone on this forum who has made similar (or worse) mistakes send you a quarter and your time restraints will disappear because you will more than be able to retire on the income. :)

Joe Chritz
04-20-2008, 12:14 PM
My personal upper cabs went with one empty spot for a while since the cabinet guy built on of the doors an inch to wide.

Good help is hard to find. :D

Save the doors and build a tall shop cabinet or two to fit.

I wouldn't go so far as say several of my shop cabs are leftovers and mess ups but I wouldn't deny it either.

Joe

Charlie Plesums
04-20-2008, 1:04 PM
As noted, the right answer is start over.

BUT.... since the doors are done, you have nothing to lose. You mentioned euro hinges, so cutting off the doors at the hinge side will be a big deal... those big hinge holes don't move. So I would take an inch off each door in the center where they meet. With the glued in MDF panels, I bet the door won't sag. If it looks funny, just say "I figured 2 inches on each side, two inches total in the center, but it didn't come out the way I expected :rolleyes:, so I am going to remake them ... someday"