PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know where this came from?

Tom Hamilton
04-19-2008, 4:49 PM
Greetings Fellow Turner's:

The pics are three of six pages on preparing timbers for bowl turning.

I found it on the web but have lost the bookmark and there is no address on the printed copy. I wanted to send them to my brother but don't have a file copy on my laptop.

So, do these pages look familiar to you? Do you have the source?

I'm thinking a turning club web site, but alas, I cannot find it.

Thanks, Tom

Andy Hoyt
04-19-2008, 5:59 PM
Tom - I have the same file on my machine as a pdf. Shoot me your e/m addy and it's yours.

I'd attach/post it here, but the file size is too big.

No idea where I got it. Probably right here, though.

Gordon Seto
04-19-2008, 6:00 PM
http://www.dallaswoodturners.com/NEWSLETTERS/2006/Bowl_Blanks_from_Log.PDF

But I don't know whether this was the original source.

Andy Hoyt
04-19-2008, 6:04 PM
Take Gordon's. It's the same as mine, and then some.

Scott Hubl
04-19-2008, 6:20 PM
Ahhh I see you got it.
Someone posted this the other day on another forum and I printed it out to tape too some poster type foam board stuff I have as a shop poster.http://www.dallaswoodturners.com/NEWSLETTERS/2006/Bowl_Blanks_from_Log.PDF

Although when printed left no trace of where it was from I was doing a search on the other forum to find it , glad others helped you out.:cool:

Tom Hamilton
04-19-2008, 6:51 PM
Let's see, first positive response in an hour and change. Next two in five minutes and a fourth in another 16. Typical Creek response: fast, accurate and in duplicate!

Thanks to each of you. I have saved it in TWO places. Hopefully I can find it next time.

Thanks again, Tom

Fred Conte
04-20-2008, 7:56 AM
Thanks Gordon and Scott for the reference and to Tom for the post, very good info!:D

Malcolm Tibbetts
04-20-2008, 11:38 AM
These were done many years ago by Todd Hoyer. I happen to know this because he recently supplied copies to me as part of his demonstrator handout. At the Richmond symposium. most all of the demonstrators will have a handout as part of a booklet of all the handouts. I'm hopeful that this booklet will be a very popular keepsake for attendees. It could approach 200 pages of useful info.

Jon Lanier
04-20-2008, 12:38 PM
I love it! Thank you for sharing this. I've often wondered about where the bowl comes from out or a tree and what design it would make. Being dyslexic the pictures really help!!!!!

Tom Hamilton
04-20-2008, 3:00 PM
Hi Malcolm: I just bought a book on segmented turning by a guy with the same name! :D Small world. Thanks for the segmented turning guide. I'm looking forward to trying that aspect of turning.

Now, on to the subject at hand. You mentioned a handout at the symposium. (I guess this is a thread hijack but it's my thread so maybe the hijack police will extent me some grace).

Will this handout be available for purchase by non-attendees? Perhaps it could be purchased through SMC with some benefit for both AAW and SMC. That's probably cutting the margins a little fine, but creative, generous folks can probably figure out a shared revenue formula that works. (A little bit of something is better than all of nothing) If SMC took orders and passed them to AAW then SMC would have earned some type of compensation.

Anyway, I would pay 10 cents per page for 200 pages of turning tips, insights and suggestions. My guess is that a few others on this forum, and other forums (fori) would also.

Just a wild-eyed idea on a beautiful Sunday afternoon in Houston.

Tom, in Houston, trying to generate a new resource and some income for SMC.