PDA

View Full Version : Hall table finished (pics)

Rick Haigh
03-30-2004, 1:44 PM
This weekend I was able to finish the hall table for my mother. I really like the way it turned out. I finished it with Watco cherry and minwax gloss poly. I would have liked to had a less glossy top, but I did not like the way it looked after buffing it out with steel wool.

The design was taken from Woodsmith, with minor modifications.

Todd Burch
03-30-2004, 2:01 PM
Gotta love that white oak! Great job Rick! If this for you? Todd

Dick Parr
03-30-2004, 2:01 PM
Nice looking table Rick!

Chris Padilla
03-30-2004, 2:24 PM
Clean, tight design, Rick! That table looks designed for oak! :)

Jim Becker
03-30-2004, 2:35 PM
Wonderful table...great lumber selection...super execution! Your mom's pretty lucky, Rick!

Robert Goodwin
03-30-2004, 2:44 PM
Very nice!!. I have a hard time around here finding boards that look like that. What are the dimensions of the table top?

Bruce Page
03-30-2004, 2:57 PM
Very nice Rick! Beautiful tiger/rays

Bob Hovde
03-30-2004, 2:57 PM
This weekend I was able to finish the hall table for my mother. I really like the way it turned out. I finished it with Watco cherry and minwax gloss poly. I would have liked to had a less glossy top, but I did not like the way it looked after buffing it out with steel wool.

Rick,

To get a less glossy, but still not dull, finish for the top, try applying the last coat of poly with 0000 steel wool. At first, it seems like it won't dry at all, but suddenly you will start to feel it get "slick." (Not really slick, but it stops dragging on the steel wool.) Another good point is that you don't have to worry about dust or brush marks in the finish, because it is practically dry when you get done.

Bob

Alan Tolchinsky
03-30-2004, 3:43 PM

Rick, Great job. I know what you mean about the gloss thing. Gloss is too shiny for me but the 0000steel wool is just a little too dull. I'm sure somebody here can lend a hand on this topic. Me, I just very lightly go over with steel wool and then apply some wax to increase the gloss a little. Keep up the great work. BTW, what are the demensions? Thanks for sharing Alan in Md.

Chris Padilla
03-30-2004, 3:58 PM
What about the white scotch-brite pad? I'm not sure of the steel wool #### equivalency, though.

Bob Marino
03-30-2004, 4:03 PM
Rick,

Great job all the way around.

Bob

Eric Naessens
03-30-2004, 4:40 PM
Rick,

Great job; the piece looks very nice and I like the finish as well. Just out of curiousity, what issue of Woodsmith did this come from? My wife would like a table very similar to this, so I'd love to track down that issue for ideas.

Howard Rosenberg
03-31-2004, 9:21 AM
Very elegant - I love the tapered legs and flush-fitted drawers. The QS top looks great. Howard

Mark Singer
03-31-2004, 9:22 AM
Great work!! Nice design!!!

Tyler Howell
03-31-2004, 9:28 AM
Love it. Clean Simple design.

Jason Tuinstra
03-31-2004, 9:30 AM
Rick, I've always liked the simple design of this table. I have one in cherry but I really like your use of qs oak. The fit and finish look great. Thanks for sharing. Jason

Rick Haigh
03-31-2004, 11:28 AM
I just wanted to thank everyone for their kind comments and inspiration they provide. My mother really liked the table. The plans came from Woodsmith #61. The top is 14.5"x42" and the table is 29" tall. If I make another one, I will probably make it slightly taller.

I am very fortunate to have a good friend that showed me how to select nice wood from the rough sawn pile.

Have a great day!
Rick

Daniel Rabinovitz
03-31-2004, 11:42 AM
Rick
Beautiful!
Great looking job and execution.
Daniel :cool: