PDA

View Full Version : Tools Gloat (molding planes)

Matt Bickford
04-19-2008, 10:53 AM
With only the help of Larry Williams DVD Making Traditional Side Escapement Planes I made a half set of hollows and rounds. They are profiled, hardened, oiled, stamped and in working order.

They are made out of Cherry. I purchased the iron blanks from Lie-Nielsen. I was concerned about hardening the irons myself. The process went very smoothly. The irons seem to be holding an edge quite nicely.

The most difficult part, by far, was stamping them. Swinging a 3 lb 'hammer' accurately against a 2" stamp being held with pliers against the end of 10" plane that is only clamped at the bottom 3" is a skill that I did not have. I probably tested 100-150 swings over a few days before I was comfortable. Endurance certainly came into play. I purchased the stamp from Mazzaglia Tools.

I am currently making a moving fillester (or filletster?) and then a pair of snipes bills.

As for time, I don't know how long it took me to make the 18 pictured. I think that I could now make a pair in 5-6 hours.

I am happy to answer any questions. Larry's DVD will answer most, if not all.

Matt Z Wilson
04-19-2008, 11:28 AM
Hmm maybe I should get some beech drying for the day I start a project like this...excellent work!

Kevin Adams
04-19-2008, 11:44 AM
Wow, Matt, that's beautiful. I really like the cherry even if it wasn't the "traditional" wood used. Should hold up well and look even nicer as they age.

Please let me know when you are ready for orders, especially a moving fillester (and I am more than half serious).

Kevin

Jim Koepke
04-19-2008, 11:50 AM
Now that is something.

As many times as I have looked at the Lie-Nielsen site, it wasn't noticed that they have these blades and instructions.

Looks like a fun project.

jim

Matt Bickford
04-19-2008, 2:58 PM
Well, I'm flattered. At this point, however, I think that my prices would have to rival those of C&W for an inferior product due to the fact that it probably takes me three times as long to make and that I got the hardware for the fillester from an old plane that I dissected from ebay (I hope nobody yells at me for this, it was in marginal condition at best). I do appreciate the comments.

I used cherry because it was really the only thing I could get that was on Larry's recommended list. I could get 4/4 flat sawn of everything he mentioned, but nobody had anything in quartersawn. I bought 16/4 cherry and made my own.

Matt Bickford
04-19-2008, 3:07 PM
Jim,
the irons they sell are a relatively new product. They were introduced a short time after the dvd was released in December or January. I don't think that the irons come with instructions for the heat treating. I believe that the dvd is referenced as the source for instructions.

The project was a lot of fun. It would have been more fun if I made only 10 or 12, however. Monotony set in at a few points. Luckily, the enjoyment has just begun with these.

Glenn Shotwell
04-19-2008, 4:47 PM
That lineup of planes is impressive. Have you done much work them yet? Or have any specific projects in the works? That would be cool to see what your doing or going to do with them.

I just checked out David Finck's book on wood planes from the library. I'm really going to work towards having the knowhow and eventually the wood planes I need. This post is inspirational to that goal.

Dave Anderson NH
04-20-2008, 8:23 AM
Outstanding work Matt. I'm assuming you bought the floats from L-N too? Beech is really hard to find most places because it is difficult to dry properly even with kilns and the lumber dealers aren't interested in processing a difficult lumber when there is relatively little commercial demand. It's sort of a chicken and egg thing... is the lack of demand because of the lack of availability or is it vice versa?

Dan Barr
04-20-2008, 11:27 AM
That is awesome!!!

I would really love to be making some planes for myself right now. but moving to england is kinda eating all the time up. having my tools packed and in transit for two months is not going to be enjoyable in the least. ive been wanting to start making planes very badly here recently. hopefully in england i'll be able to pick up a few nice norris infill planes and maybe a few other odds and ends not normally available on this side of the pond.

one day...

ciao,

dan

Johnny Kleso
04-20-2008, 1:12 PM
I am very Jealous of your planes, I have plans one day to make my own but that is so far back on my list these days...

Yours Looks Awesome For Here......

David DeCristoforo
04-20-2008, 2:05 PM
While this does fit the "technical" definition of a "gloat", I think the use of the term is wrongly applied in the context of this forum where a "gloat" is mostly associated with an "acquisition". I expected to see a bunch of old moulding planes, not a stunning set of finely crafted tools such as the ones in the pictures. I would think that a term like "accomplishment" would be more appropriate. I would be very proud to have made those planes.....

Mark Stutz
04-20-2008, 4:17 PM
Matt,
Thos are absolutely oustanding. There is no doubt that making them was truly satisfying, but that feeling will only be enhanced every time you use one of them. WOW! 5-6 hours for a pair!...I've spent almost that much time putting a vintage pair back to work!

Mark

Don C Peterson
04-20-2008, 5:59 PM
I've seen those blanks on the LN site and have been sorely tempted to start down this path. Your post has made up my mind, I will do this...someday when my daughter's hospital bills are put to rest...

That's some impressive work, thanks for sharing.

Thom Sturgill
04-20-2008, 6:30 PM
Beautiful, I am so jealous. I thought about building some based on a book I have, but it recommended beech and I could not find a source, so I shelved the idea. As get get more into this 'neander' thing, I really want a set of these. Your accomplishment inspires me to think about it again - seriously...

Chuck Nickerson
04-21-2008, 12:39 PM
I'm waiting for the DVD and a pair of irons to arrive. I hadn't thought of ordering a maker's stamp for the end. Better get busy...

Zahid Naqvi
04-21-2008, 4:53 PM
Great work Matt, the planes look wonderful. I also didn't realize LN sells blades for molding planes. Perhaps another item in the to do list.

Jim Nardi
04-21-2008, 9:36 PM
That's a great sucess story. I'd love to see it written up the christmas tool edition of FWW. I'm glad to see someone make planes out of a domestic wood. I've had a set of irons now for quite some time need to kick it in gear. Thanks for sharing.