PDA

View Full Version : Line Boring Machines

Jon Vernooy
04-19-2008, 9:17 AM
Anyone have advice on line boring machines ?

I've heard the 32-325 13 Spindle Delta uses plastic gears and haven't found any feedback articles on the Conquest Industries model although it has a nice feature where you can quick-change for blum hinges.

Wasn't sure if either of these would be good for a small shop or I should go the extra mile for the powermatic 21 which is more than I need. It would be low usage so the more uses the better such as a quick change to drill hinge holes

Are there boring machines where I can change the bits, space them further apart and use 1-1/2" bits ?

Thanks All.

Rob Russell
04-19-2008, 9:56 AM
Jon,

Welcome to SMC.

You might consider something like the Blum MultiPress or similar Grass machines. They are primarily designed as hinge borers, but have line drill attachments. They are designed for production use and have good resale, so 5 years down the road if you're not using the machine - you should get a fair amount out of it.

Rob

Travis Porter
04-19-2008, 12:46 PM
I have been using a friend's Delta model 32-325. He says it has plastic gears (I haven't looked), but so far, it has done a good job and no complaints. If I found one for a good price, I would buy it.

jud dinsmore
04-19-2008, 9:12 PM
jon,

i, too, have recently been researching the conquest mini 13 and haven't found much out about it. aside from the metal gears, the drill bits spin at 3450 rpm vs. 1725 rpm of the delta. this should bore cleaners holes.

have you come across a place to purchase the conquest? i've only researched it via the google and the best place i've come across has it priced within $100 of the delta (from amazon). it appears to be a better built machine, than the delta, but if you're not going to put it to serious, daily use, either would probably perform fine.

good luck,

jud

David Werkheiser
04-20-2008, 9:46 AM
Jon, I had a Delta 13 hole machine and still have the Blum attachment. I don't know much about the Conquest other than it's American made, has better stops and looks to be a better built machine.
The Delta was much faster than the MEG jig + router that I was using at the time and good for boring shelf holes. I was moving into Euro boxes at the time and I needed a drilling machine that would do system holes. With the Delta, Blum and Conquest you need to spin the panel to bore the back run, and if your panel is out of square or the depth is off, drawer slides will not fit and be at different angles to each other.
I still have the Blum drill att. that Rob spoke of, and he is right, it is well made and has good resale. Blum is on their 4th.or 5th. generation of hinge borers and the drilling att. fits all of them, the last one I saw on ebay sold for over $500. A used Blum hinge machine goes for $750-1200
Sorry for being long winded but, if your just looking to bore shelf holes, the Delta with sharp bits will do a good job.
David Werkheiser

Jon Vernooy
04-20-2008, 12:31 PM
Thanks all, great feedback. Going to take a look at Blum.