PDA

View Full Version : Help with a good USER

Dewey Torres
04-19-2008, 4:22 AM
All,
You may have seen some of my posts to this forum in the past just trying to get a feel for a good quality "older" user plane. I know a bit about the Bedrocks (thanks creek:)) and I am searching for a nice 604 1/2 smooth user. (Good Luck Dewey... will post a gloat when and if I get one)

Also recommended was a Keen Kutter with the single K. If the bay is good to me I may have a gloat soon on a K4. (Still not sure why the KK series are inferior but I trust the creek). And third recommendation was the old Stanley type 11... (still not sure why they were better but again trusting the creek).

What have I overlooked in the way of a great user?
Vaughn & Bushnell; Sergent; Others??? Please compare to the Bedrock "type" planing quality (if there is one).

Clint Jones... you seem to be one of the main folks to the rescue in this forum/topic. If you haven't been thanked yet, from all of us ... THANKS!

Also,
I am very well versed on sharpening and feel comfortable I could tune most anything that is tunable. I also know very well that I can just go out and get a new LN (which I know are simply NEW Bedrock copies) or Veritas but I am ready for a challenge on an older plane. I have been to the Blood and Gore site (12+ hours so far) and it is a great site but whew!!! makes my head spin :confused: Help!

Dewey

James Mittlefehldt
04-19-2008, 7:36 AM
I am not sure how you tell, perhaps the front knob, but some of the KK's were actually made by Ohio Tool, they are good planes and have a very thick business end on them, the blades are laminated steel and a good 1/8th thick at the cutting edge.

I forget who the third maker was that also madet the KK but even that should not be overlooked, the only real problem is that it is just not a bedrock.

Jeff Hallam
04-19-2008, 7:53 AM
:( I just finished listing all of my Type 11's on the bay. They are nice planes, but I have slowly accumulated a working set of LV planes and although there it is difficult to let go, I don't need redundant tools in the shop. You should have a fun time fixing up some old Stanley, it is a rewarding undertaking.

An after market blade can really pickup the performance of a Stanley I found. Just the extra thickness helps cut out chatter.

Jim Koepke
04-19-2008, 12:22 PM
I am searching for a nice 604 1/2 smooth user. (Good Luck Dewey... will post a gloat when and if I get one)

Good luck, the 604 1/2 is a highly coveted model. Get out the credit card. I got lucky and found a 4 1/2 type 6 in great condition while visiting an antique shop for $30. I still pinch myself over that one.

And third recommendation was the old [B]Stanley type 11... (still not sure why they were better but again trusting the creek).

This was the last model before the SW planes. It has the adjustment screw and the rib in the casting to make frog setting a bit easier. Nice, but not critical. The type 10s also have this. The type 10s were only made for a few years. Besides, the V shape of the type 11 logo is kind of neat looking.

What have I overlooked in the way of a great user?
Vaughn & Bushnell; Sergent; Others??? Please compare to the Bedrock "type" planing quality (if there is one).

Dewey

Some of those others are great users also. There is a strong case to be made that some are better than what Stanley made.

With that said, the Stanley planes are as common as dirt, be it high priced dirt. If you ever need some odd replacement part, there are plenty to be found. If you need a replacement part for one of the others, it may be a difficult hunt.

I have bought some old planes that looked like junk to get replacement parts. They turned into some of my favorite users.

I also agree with others who say a Hock blade can improve the performance of an old plane.

Each little bit of fettling or blade upgrade may only add a small amount of improvement, but added together, they can take an old rust bucket to a tool that one can't wait to get in to the shop and use.

Have fun,

jim

Mike Henderson
04-19-2008, 12:48 PM
A 604 1/2 is so expensive that you just as well buy an LN 4 1/2. You'll get everything (and more) but you won't have the "age".

The Keen Kutter KK's are the same as the Stanley Baileys. The Keen Kutter K's are essentially the same as the early round side bedrocks.

I like the V&B's just because of the forged body. I dropped a type 11 on a concrete floor and broke it. The V&B's won't break that way.

I agree with you that a new, thicker blade usually will improve a plane.

Mike

Clint Jones
04-19-2008, 1:02 PM
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r256/junkerjones/6045.jpg

:D Good luck. I would say by a LN 4 1/2 it will be cheaper and you will get a better plane. A good 604 1/2 is going to run $400.

James Carmichael
04-20-2008, 10:29 AM
Yep, I think Clint's right on that one. The LN will cost less dollars and way less time.

Ethan Sincox
04-20-2008, 10:55 PM
But occasionally, you can pick one up for just $47 delivered. :)

http://greystonegreen.blogspot.com/2008/04/power-of-written-word.html